Round 10 - Storm vs Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

We are missing something tonight, I think we under rate the work Glasby and J.Bromwich give us, can’t wait to see the boys back out there.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote:Jacks doesn’t have a chance to play halfback because Slater keeps jumping in trying to be every position on the field, Jacks had some nice touches when he got his hands on the ball, but keeps getting over ruled by Billy.
He does this because Jacks can't do it. Pretty simple.
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote:
1999 wrote:Jacks doesn’t have a chance to play halfback because Slater keeps jumping in trying to be every position on the field, Jacks had some nice touches when he got his hands on the ball, but keeps getting over ruled by Billy.
Are you saying the mess Billy has served up tonight is an improvement on what Jacks has been offering us this year?
Monsoon
Monsoon

Welch in the sin bin, tense last 7 minutes, how good has Brandon Smith been tonight? He needs to be in the team every week no doubt about it, criminal if he ever goes back to reserve grade, him and Munster light years ahead of everyone else on the field, also like what I’ve seen again from Stimson, why he isn’t preferred to Hoffman I’ll never know.
Monsoon
Monsoon

The fox!! Lights out, much better second half but still have huge problems, we should have beat this team by 50, bellyache will no doubt not let the last 10 minutes paper over the cracks of the first 70.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1999 wrote:Welch in the sin bin, tense last 7 minutes, how good has Brandon Smith been tonight? He needs to be in the team every week no doubt about it, criminal if he ever goes back to reserve grade, him and Munster light years ahead of everyone else on the field, also like what I’ve seen again from Stimson, why he isn’t preferred to Hoffman I’ll never know.
Absolutely agree. Smith should definitely be in our 17 every week, unfortunately I think he’ll be one that misses out tho when Bromwich and Glasby come back.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jacks hasn't offered anything in attack this year.

Munster and Brandon Smith can hold their heads high.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Impressive game from Nelson Asofa-Solomona. The big fella ran for 172 metres and made 20 tackles with only one miss.

I felt the Storm played really old school in the first 30 or so. They really tried to keep it between the front seven and were a bit too conservative. It almost felt like they were too focused on not turning over the pill.
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote:Jacks hasn't offered anything in attack this year.

Munster and Brandon Smith can hold their heads high.
Croft 5 games - 0 tries 0 try assists 0 line break assists

Jacks in 5 (4 1/2 really) 3 tries, 1 try assist 2 line break assists

Storm attacking points with Croft in 5 games - 88

Storm attacking points with Jacks in 5 games - 166

While neither are lighting it up, it’s obvious why Bellamy has opted for and now stuck solid with Jacks.

I hear Drinkwater is carving up just quietly ...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yes I know the stats I posted a bunch of them a few pages back. We're just going to have to agree to disagree here. Just because Croft was bad doesn't mean Jacks' impact is also not poor.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

To be fair to Croft, the team could not hold on to the ball when he played, now sure he played a part in that but the rest of the team wasn’t making it easy for him either. Throw in the fact that 3 of those 5 games were against really good defensive teams in the Tigers and Sharks. Croft may have to come back next week anyway, depending how Jacks pulls up I suppose
Monsoon
Monsoon

Deadpool wrote:To be fair to Croft, the team could not hold on to the ball when he played, now sure he played a part in that but the rest of the team wasn’t making it easy for him either. Throw in the fact that 3 of those 5 games were against really good defensive teams in the Tigers and Sharks. Croft may have to come back next week anyway, depending how Jacks pulls up I suppose
I do recall Bellamy saying they will share the role
this year, I know Croft is quality and still very green I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the 7 again, I just think they timing needs to be right, a few solid showing in the QLD cup and his confidence will get back up again, be interesting to see how it plays out.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well that was underwhelming. A very flattering scoreline for us.

However, as others have noted, Brandon Smith had an extended period on the field and did not disappoint. I am not surprised- nor would most of the contributors to this website. He has shown a lot every time he has played for us. I really do hope Craig finds a spot for Brandon in a full-strength team. After all, he picked Slade Griffin in our premiership team, and ( with respect to Slade, who was a good servant of the club ) Brandon offers more.

Suli and Will on the right side looked way out of sync.

Anyway, as they say in the classics, we take the 2 points and move on.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

1999 wrote:
blazza18 wrote:
Are you saying the mess Billy has served up tonight is an improvement on what Jacks has been offering us this year?
Agree, that was Billy Slater's worst game in a Melbourne Guernsey.

He overplayed the whole night; ordinary passing, dropped balls and every time he came to the line in attack; the defence just pushed up on him.

Bill has to let Riley Jacks play.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

1999 wrote:
Deadpool wrote:To be fair to Croft, the team could not hold on to the ball when he played, now sure he played a part in that but the rest of the team wasn’t making it easy for him either. Throw in the fact that 3 of those 5 games were against really good defensive teams in the Tigers and Sharks. Croft may have to come back next week anyway, depending how Jacks pulls up I suppose
I do recall Bellamy saying they will share the role
this year, I know Croft is quality and still very green I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the 7 again, I just think they timing needs to be right, a few solid showing in the QLD cup and his confidence will get back up again, be interesting to see how it plays out.

Neither Croft or Jacks are up to Storm standard and we are going to have to buy a new half back at the end of the year who is proven.