Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm still not sold on Curtis Scott for some reason. I think Blairs bigger body at centre could be more beneficial.
Would of liked to see Croft set up a linebreak or try but it's only round 1 and it's great to play nowhere near your best, be down on troops and still put nearly 40 points on your opponents.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What happened to the yellow numbers?
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I would much rather see Hoffman move into the role of mentor and let either Kenny or Stimson take the starting spot
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote:I'm still not sold on Curtis Scott for some reason.
I wasn’t after the GF but I have come around. Especially now that he has put on a bit of weight. He looked powerful in the WCC.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Scott is a player who will suddenly come on and look dominant, it's just a question of when.
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I agree with Cameron re: Hoffman. He is a much better player right now than Stimson and K. Brom. He took 14 hit ups and made 114 metres according to sports live stats. He missed 2 tackles and made plenty. Chambers was worse defensively missing 4. So not sure what the issue is? Kaufusi and Hoffman need the halves to get them good early ball and with our rookies on last night they were a little inconsistent with their timing. This should improve through the season and both Hoffman and Kaufusi will reap the rewards. Bellamy knows that he is doing and Hoffman is a good inclusion. Stimson is a year away still and K Brom is better as a first up runner. I don't see him as a good option as a backrower long term.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hoffman also made a few handling errors and gave away a schoolboy penalty for not using his foot to play the ball, the guy also stopped any quality ball getting out to Scott and Addo-Carr, as he as always done he just gets in the way and slows us down, he used to atleast occasionally punch holes on the edges but lost that years ago, he is an honest toiler at best now, and will retire after this season.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The whole waiting a few weeks to criticise Hoffman is pretty funny when he's an older and worse version of himself last time he was here. Super glad Bellamy brought him back to be an 80 minute backrower again. Kenny is basically a middle forward now and was awful on the edge to start last season so I'm not sure why anyone would want to see that again.

Croft will be better for the run. Looked sharp running the ball in the second half and was close to getting through the line multiple times. Kicking game was off, I thought a lot of that was the wind, but it is something both he and Munster need to work on more.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Croft will be better for the run. Looked sharp running the ball in the second half and was close to getting through the line multiple times. Kicking game was off, I thought a lot of that was the wind, but it is something both he and Munster need to work on more.
That’s fair enough. Horrible - let’s call it a mis-read - for the Dogs first try and his kicking game was poor all night. He found the Dogs FB/Winger on the full numerous occasions.

But, he was taking the line on all night and looked likely to break them open. Should build on that.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Vunivalu’s read on the Morris try was horrific.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cameron wrote:Who is that next superstar? Because I can assure you that if Craig Bellamy thought there was a better player on our list; he would be in that position.

The only other option really is Joe Stimson who will get plenty of playing time this year.
I’d much rather see Stimson, KBrom or Pat Kaufusi in preference. Hoffman and 80mins don’t really work any more. I would have Hoffman off the bench at best.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Croft will be better for the run. Looked sharp running the ball in the second half and was close to getting through the line multiple times. Kicking game was off, I thought a lot of that was the wind, but it is something both he and Munster need to work on more.
That’s fair enough. Horrible - let’s call it a mis-read - for the Dogs first try and his kicking game was poor all night. He found the Dogs FB/Winger on the full numerous occasions.

But, he was taking the line on all night and looked likely to break them open. Should build on that.
Yep, don't want to make excuses for him cause he wasn't good at all but this was easily the most out of place he's looked defensively that I've seen in FG and Qcup.

Suli's brain fade rushing up led to their first opportunity too. And had that stupid run which led to a JAC error in the second half. I don't know how Bellamy puts up with it.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:
Cameron wrote:The "style" changed as of last year when it was determined that we didn't score enough tries. Hence we won the comp in 2017 not only because of our defense but by our try scoring ability which was also on show again last night. Bellamy has changed our "style" to be more attacking and the results has proven this move to be successful. Thus we had the two top try scorers last year.
That’s not what you said though. You stated our new style was making mistakes in an attempt to ‘take the game on’. That is utter rubbish. Now you try and change your point to something else.

Obviously we changed our style of play. Tolerating errors has never been a part of that.
Cameron wrote:As for Ryan Hoffman, a lot of people belong to the religion of the "now"; one game analysis.
More of that holier-than-thou attitude hey? Maybe you can tell everyone that your opinion on this is the only one that counts because you are an accountant and your kind, “rule the world”...

One game analysis my ass. Hoffman’s form line can be be drawn from the last few years, our trials in 2018 and Round 1. Even then, my comments were along the lines of, “consideration should be given to making a change”.

2012 nostalgia is worth jack sh*t in achieving results in 2018.
I have not changed my point. I think you will find we have even changed our game style again this year. That is what I am saying.

Josh Addo-Carr has got an even bigger licence to roam and try and get 80 metre tries. It cost us a try once when Josh tried to pick the ball up on the opposition goal line and botched it. But that is the game plan now. try and score a try from anywhere; anytime; anyhow... in one play. which Josh redeemed himself by doing latter on. See what I'm sayin'.

And you know if hatin' on poor Ryan Hoffman is the worst thing that we have from this game; then we are going pretty well. Ryan made a couple of "early season" handling errors but he will improve because he is a smart player.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I can guarantee that trying to score off one play is not the game plan
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Here’s my take. We should not have got him back the second time - let alone THE THIRD. Doesn’t offer much, but does seem to get in the way, often. Prone to mistakes (plenty) and, well, just not very good anymore. Worriers well pleased to have him off their books, too.

The guy was firstly demoted as captain of the Worriers, then shown the door when they signed Harris, who at this stage of his career is streets ahead of Hoffman, so NZ get Harris and offload Hoffy. We lose Harris, but get in Hoffman as his replacement??

Ah, we lose - big time.