Team of 20 Years

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The only one I'm surprised with is Crocker. That bench spot could justifiably have gone to a number of other players who spent more time at the club
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Absence of Hill the major surprise.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I will die on this hill forever and always.

Folau >>>> Suli
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bai always wore 5. Why couldnt they name him at 5
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Especially as Suli wears 2! No brainer.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

blazza18 wrote:I will die on this hill forever and always.

Folau >>>> Suli
I think he became a more complete player than Suli is at the moment, but it's hard to argue with Suli's success the last two years.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote:Absence of Hill the major surprise.
I didn't think so. They had to squeeze GI in and he didn't really have a fixed position - a couple of years on the wing, a few at centre and a couple as a third centre playing close to the ruck (he was never really a stand-off, just wore the number 6). With a plethora of wingers to choose from (and Marcus was always going to be the first one picked) it is hard to squeeze him in there. Same with centres; Kingy was always likely to get a guernsey as a fan favourite and the club has always rated Chambers highly.
Hill was longer ago and more easily forgotten - he also never played in a winning grand final which would have been a consideration.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Who got voted as fan favourite player?
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I am very happy with this team. I agree with TC re GI v Hill. Scotty was a great player , but unluckily missed the 99 flag and could make frustrating errors from time to time .GI had a huge impact and won a Churchill. Matt Geyer rightly ahead of Hill for Reserve back.

Micky Crocker's fabulous impact across only 3 seasons - best exemplified by his 07 GF hit on Brett Stewart - is enough to get him the 17 slot.

What really stood out from the nominations was how lucky we have been in the key positions of 1, 7' and 9. Leaving aside time out for injury, we have basically had only two players wearing the 1, three wearing the 7 and two wearing the 9. Over 20 years that is amazing.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nikau over DJ? Isn't it bad enough that he was robbed over the Churchill Medal in 1999?

Loved DJ. He had a heart as big as Phar Lap but Nikau's performance in 99 was legendary enough to warrant selection in any hypothetical team.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I reckon lock was the toughest position to pick. Could realistically have gone four ways.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NevilleB wrote:Bai always wore 5. Why couldnt they name him at 5
NevilleB I agree, particularly when remembering a game when he was a late inclusion and wore number 55 (because he wanted 5 on his jersey) and we / he copped heat from the NRL for wearing such a high number.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can only guess that no2 means he was first winger picked
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Who got voted as fan favourite player?
Mattpoet some guy called Cameron. (And his surname was not Munster).
Babylove
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

The team of 20 years was an excellent team, though I did raise my eyebrows a little at Vunivalu and Crocker making the team. Don’t get me wrong I love Suli and believe by the end of his career he will have proved to have been a significant player for the storm and I enjoyed watching Crocker when he was at the club. But to date I don’t think either player has been as significant to the history of the Storm as other players in those positions that missed out. They’ve only been with Storm for a short time each (each less than 50 games) and they weren’t foundation players like Lazarus and Nikau.