Cam / Storm vs JT / Cowboys Testimonial

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21/nor ... torm-test/

North Queensland Cowboys trio of big men ready for Melbourne Storm test
Author Dylan Morris Timestamp Wed 21 Feb 2018, 04:29 PM

With the signing of Jordan McLean and the return of Matt Scott, the three biggest bodies in the North Queensland Cowboys' squad include two Australian players, a Queensland State of Origin front-rower, plus Dally M Medal-winning Tongan superstar Jason Taumalolo.

That's five titles shared among three men, and it's why second-rower Gavin Cooper has labelled them "the wolf pack."

Come Friday night when the Cowboys meet the Melbourne Storm in the testimonial match for Johnathan Thurston and Cameron Smith at Suncorp Stadium, expect the talented trio to be heavily involved.

"[McLean] doesn't say too much about how he's feeling, he just goes about his business," Cooper said.
"He'd be excited just to get the first game out of the way in Cowboys' colours, he looks really sharp at training.

"Since [James Tamou] left a couple of years ago we haven't really replaced that big body in the middle of the field and we've done that now with Macca.

"Hopefully him and Thumper (Scott) and Jase (Jason Taumalolo), they form a little trio, a little wolf pack, hopefully they start rolling off the back of each other and it'll be exciting to watch."
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cowboys have named 19 for this game Storm have named 27 ...i dont know how to take that
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

They are taking it more seriously than us

We had our serous hit out last week vrs Leeds.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cowboys Team
Lachlan Coote
Kyle Feldt
Justin O’Neill
Kane Linnett
Antonio Winterstein
Michael Morgan
Johnathan Thurston (c)
Matthew Scott (c)
Jake Granville
Jordan McLean
Gavin Cooper
Ethan Lowe
Jason Taumalolo

INTERCHANGE
Ben Hampton
Coen Hess
Scott Bolton
John Asiata
Corey Jensen
Te Maire Martin
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:They are taking it more seriously than us
This, I actually agree with. Seems they are treating it very similar to NRL conditions.

This is the Cowboys strongest line-up and will be the first time Macca wears the Cows jersey.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thanks yourhero.

I think we had a great game v Leeds. We ticked all the boxes of the coaching staff. And now in this game; we are kind of in self preservation mode. Try and get through without injuries to go 100% v Canterbury in the first game in Perth.

Whereas for them. This is the first time that they have had "the band" together.
Blotto
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

With JT saying he's hoping to get one over on Smithy, I don't think Storm will take this game lightly either. Is there any any live streaming of the match outside of Fox's?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

I suggest you find your way to a pub. Have a counter dinner and a beer and relax. It will be on one of the big screens throughout Australia.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No Slater or Suli but I'm excited to see how Hughes plays and how Brodie handles this game.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It’s been a very melbourne like day in brisbane today. Constant rain. Might put a bit of a wet blanket on expansive play tonight
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Its been a very Brisbane like day in Melbourne

Humidity through the roof.

Actually Melbourne weather in Feb and March is the best in the world.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I was there and it has never rained that in Melbourne. There was so much and it was so heavy and it was no stop all day. If fact it is still raining.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good game was great to see the fringe players get a run.
Dissapointing for Hughes hoper he's not out for too long.
I like the look of Papunhayzen, Galo and Walters. Was the first time seeing them play.
I think Jacks looks much better and quicker across the ground and I was impressed by Patrick Kaufusi's agility and acceleration. Could be chance of a regular spot late in the season.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

It was a night for injuries. The intensity of that game was amazingly high for a trial

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 37aacc001b

NRL 2018: Jahrome Hughes, Lachlan Coote and Kane Linnett injured in Thurston-Smith testimonial game

MELBOURNE Storm coach Craig Bellamy remains confident that star fullback Billy Slater will be fit to take his place in the team for round one after the club’s fullback stocks took a further hit in Friday night’s testimonial match for Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston.
The match itself finished in the only manner it could — Thurston conjuring a try with 18 seconds left on the lock for the Cowboys to win 16-14 — but the post-game analysis centred on injuries to three players that could have dramatic consequences two weeks out from the start of the 2018 NRL season.
Thankfully for Hughes his shoulder popped back into place relatively easily but the full extent of the damage won’t be known until the results of scans either on Saturday or Sunday back in Melbourne.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

As for the injury to Hughes suffered in the 22nd minute, Bellamy was devastated for a young player that has been plagued by injuries in his short career but was also hopeful that the news from the medical staff will be positive in the coming days.

“He dislocated his shoulder so we’re not sure how long he’s going to be out or how much damage he’s done,” Bellamy said.

“At least they got it back in pretty quickly and easily so that’s probably a good sign.

“Until he has a scan we won’t know how much damage he’s done.”