World Club Challenge

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:Other than Danny McGuire and Tom Briscoe who both scored two tries in his final game for Leeds Rhinos as they beat Castleford Tigers 24-6 to win a record eighth Super League Grand Final, who do we need to look out for in the Leeds team?

Leeds went from relegation danger to premiership glory so it was a roller coaster ride.

Any of you who are knowledgeable about Leeds and the Super League; now Harris, Cronk and Mclean are gone and our top players will only have been back in training for a few weeks; how do you think we will go?
Cameron Danny McGuire won't be there he is joining Hull KR and Rob Burrow who came off the bench in GF has retired.

Players to watch out for or who maybe familiar are England backs Kallum Watkins and Ryan Hall, former Storm prop Mitch Garbutt, former NRL players Joel Moon, Adam Cuthbertson, Matt Parcell and Brett Delaney. Their 2018 squad also includes Richie Myler from Catalans Dragons plus veterans Jamie Jones-Buchanan and Carl Ablett and Irish RLWC prop Anthony Mullally.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not surprised re cam and billy might not play considering the big cam and JT game the next weekend end but that just gives B smith and a few others a chance and by the looks of b smith and crofys Insta they are already training independently and the fox with a local trainer at a gym in Mulgrave ...from what I've seen they have been going hard at it for a week or 2 and both look really fit
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just bought my tickets to the World Club Championship on Feb 16th.

Not badly priced imo tbh.

Front Row seats....

Go Storm.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The World Club Challenge would have more relevance if it was held in October, after both leagues deciders with their winning squads. Might make it more attractive. If I'm not mistaken it's what they did in 1997.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:The World Club Challenge would have more relevance if it was held in October, after both leagues deciders with their winning squads. Might make it more attractive. If I'm not mistaken it's what they did in 1997.
No. The 1997 WCC was a competition on its own in the Super League. Wasn't played between the premiers of the respective competitions.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

All the Aussie SL teams were involved I believe.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

The point being that by the next season (ie February) both squads have changed dramatically so it is hardly the respective Premiers playing each other.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:All the Aussie SL teams were involved I believe.
Yep. Broncos ended up playing Hunter Mariners in the final.... in Auckland. The whole concept was a failure.
Stormhunter
Squall
Squall

LESStar58 wrote:
Yep. Broncos ended up playing Hunter Mariners in the final.... in Auckland. The whole concept was a failure.
Long live the Mariners! :-D
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stormhunter wrote:
LESStar58 wrote:
Long live the Mariners! :-D
Donald Trump is more popular than the Mariners were!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Provided us with some damn good players though, pretty sure Kimmorley, Swain and Ross were Mariners.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Provided us with some damn good players though, pretty sure Kimmorley, Swain and Ross were Mariners.
Hill and Marquette.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The core of our original roster came from there and the Western Reds.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hence other teams especially in Steak and Kidney have always been upset because they think that the Melbourne Storm got a leg up rather than starting from Scratch.
Blotto
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Its very difficult to play the WCC at the end of a season for both NRL & SL Clubs. Prior to the start is a better option, though it does mean the winning Teams usually have different rosters to pick from and the downside is that you start the early season at a far higher tempo than the Coach's and Players would like which leads to a drop in form around mid season or Origin Time over here and it usually makes getting back to a GF a lot more difficult and back to back GF wins very hard to get! Bellyache and the Rhinos Coach Brian (Boom Boom) McDermott will not be taking it lightly but I can't see Storm losing this one on home territory!