Nelson Asofa-Solomona: The 118kg weapon

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Great article on Nelson.

I really think that playing for NZ in the World Cup and being their pack leader will help his game immeasurably.

i am expecting Nelson to improve again next year and almost challenge Jessie Bromwich and Jason Taumalolo and maybe Jordie Mclean as the premier front rowers in the NRL

He is a great story and shows how good the Melbourne Storm recruiting is.

Nerlson could just as easy be an All Black if not for our persistence.

Fantastic appraisal of the Melbourne Storm as well.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 1508882784

Asofa-Solomona correctly identified the Storm was the best place - perhaps even across Australasia - to build good habits, on and off the field.

“I saw what the club could do for players,” said Asofa-Solomona. “I thought that if I was to put myself in that culture, I could become a better person and a better player. They have taught me to focus on the little things and things will come off the back of that.”

But the persistence of the Storm paid off, after they had first spotted him as a 14-year-old.

“I could have stayed in rugby union but the opportunity was too great to go to the Storm,” said Asofa-Solomona. “I loved the culture, and what the team was all about so I had to take the offer.

They were so loyal to me, from a young age.”
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/98 ... ac-stadium

Back in the days when Nelson Asofa-Solomona was mucking about on the concourse, or watching cousin Neemia Tialata scrummaging, rugby union seemed the quickest route onto Westpac Stadium.

A 15 a-side star at Wellington College, plenty of folk coveted the tall, athletic forward. The Melbourne Storm won and, four years after leaving home, Asofa-Solomona is back and about to run out on his boyhood field of dreams.

A bit's happened in between, with the prop playing two NRL grand finals – winning one – and making his international debut

t would be easy to look at Asofa-Solomona and see another young man who owed it all to Storm coach Craig Bellamy. There's a debt there, sure, but the boy from Upper Hutt hasn't forgotten other influential figures, such as his old college headmaster.

"Mr Moses has been a massive factor in my life. He's very proud of where I've come from [and] if it wasn't for him I would've left school," said Asofa-Solomona.

"So big props to Roger Moses. He's definitely in my circle and I'm very happy that he is."
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sorry to be pedantic, but he's only played one gf, was injured in 2016.