Bill's future

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I see his future has been discussed the last week or so and if he will or won't go on. Barring another serious injury, does anyone really think that he won't re-sign. Given his form and clearly still loving the game, i think it's a no brainer he'll stay on.

If that's the case then how does everyone feel about it? I personally wouldn't be stoked if he did. Nothing to do with sentimentality, the bottom line is his form warrants another year at least and given he's had near 2 years off before this season will only help that.

Munster has made no secret he loves the club, is more than happy to play anywhere he's needed until the number 1 is his and I'm very confident he'll be a 10 year plus player here. I just think we're a much better side with both he and Bill in it and would love to see at least one more year of that happening.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

James Hooper just reported he is tipped to announce he will play next season very soon. Also his 300th game is grand final day if Storm make it. Smiths 350th game is against Manly
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wouldn't be the worst thing to go out on top this year.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm hoping that's the way Coop's goes out
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fingers crossed he goes around again. We are a much better side with him in it, no matter the rest of the playing roster.

Billy
Croft
Munster
Smith

Or

Munster
Croft
Jacks
Smith

Are we really going to debate that? Go back and read the threads on this forum from March/April this year. Some rusted on Storm fans were adamant that Billy needs to hang the boots up. One even hoped for a career ending injury to end the conversation once and for all...

If Slater's body holds up, he can play for another couple of years from my perspective. He is too good to lose.

And do people really think losing Coops and Slater at the same time is a preferred option???
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

play again. 1 more.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I get the feeling he will retire
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Wow very different sentiment to the start of the year when people thought it was best for the club if he finished up and handed over the jersey to Munster. You can't keep a champion like Billy down. He's a competitor and if he feels he can still give it a good crack then he'll re-sign.
To give you an idea, watch the Rexona Australia's Greatest Athlete series where Billy won two years in a row. Also the Powerade Powerscore competition that he's leading at the moment. I know those things are gimmicky but it gives testament to his competitive nature that shows he wouldn't play a game of hopscotch unless he was dead set on winning it.
Whatever decision he makes, it will be the right one.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I mean we did just come off a two season run where we made the prelim final and were 5 minutes away from being premiers without him.
I think not even the biggest most one eyed Slater fans could've ever predicted he'd come back even better than the last time we saw him healthy.

Losing both our fullback and halfback in the same offseason while trying to stay a premiership threat would be extremely difficult. But for Slater to go out an origin winner, maybe grand final winner and world cup winner. Why would you want to go around again with this history he's had?
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was always in the camp saying that he deserved one more crack at it given his achievements at the club.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: But for Slater to go out an origin winner, maybe grand final winner and world cup winner. Why would you want to go around again with this history he's had?
It's all well and good to go out a winner but more pertinent question would be, why wouldn't you want to go around again if you're body is holding up, are playing great footy, being a solid contributor to the team and enjoying it and have another crack at winning a premiership/Origin next year? You're a long time retired
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There's no right or wrong answer here. But we've seen time and time again where great athletes go on for too long.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Billy going around again is really the best option for the Storm. With Cronk leaving, having Slater, Munster and Smith in the spine to help Brodie Croft is massive. Take Slater out of that and then you'll have 2 rookies in the halves. Not ideal. Billy has shown that he is still the best fullback in the comp this year, so I'm hoping he stays.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:There's no right or wrong answer here. But we've seen time and time again where great athletes go on for too long.
Totally agree there's no right or wrong answer here and also there's been no shortage of greats playing on one year too many. That being said those greats rarely show the form that Bill has this year and go out playing great footy.
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Billy Slater is a freak. To go that long, at his age out of top grade footy. Actually no footy and to come back like he has is almost unbelievable. Personally and selfishly I say play on Billy the kid.
But i would totally understand if he chose to retire. Either way he is a dead set legend of the game. If he plays on like Smith then his legend will continue to grow. Storm fans have been truly blessed to have some of the best men that ever laced up a pair of footy boots play for our club. Thanks footy gods x