Jesse Bromwich - Cocaine Allegation

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Freeze
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

According to the City / Country game commentators Jesse has admitted guilt and waived his right to a review and will accept whatever punishment the Storm board decide on - More at half time
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne Storm statement from CEO Dave Donaghy

Earlier today, our Football Director Frank Ponissi and I spoke to Jesse Bromwich regarding a matter that took place following the ANZAC Test in Canberra on Friday night

Jesse was extremely remorseful for putting himself in a position of risk that has obviously had an impact on his Club – despite being on international duties

He is genuinely disappointed by his poor choices and he’s accepted a number of sanctions that have been imposed upon him by the Cub for breaching our code of conduct.

Melbourne Storm has extremely high standards and we make no apologies for that – this has been a tough lesson for Jesse

In handing down these sanctions Melbourne Strom has consulted Jesse’s management, the RLPA and the NRL Integrity Unit.

The sanctions are as follows:

· Jesse will be stood down for two games – he won’t be available for selection until Round 13

· Jesse will donate his ANZAC Test match fee to a selected charity

· Jesse has stood aside from the Storm leadership group and I believe has informed New Zealand of his intention to step down as the Kiwis’ captain

· Jesse will be required to undergo a number of counselling and treatment courses

Jesse had the opportunity to front the board regarding this matter, however, he’s chosen to waive this and accept the sanction.

Jesse is a terrific person, this is out of character and he’s incredibly disappointed in himself, however he will learn from it and we will continue to support him and his family.

Statement from Jesse Bromwich

I’d like to start by firstly apologising to my family, Melbourne Storm, New Zealand Rugby League, the NRL, my teammates, the sponsors, and the members and fans.

I regret making the choice of staying out with my teammates until the early hours of Saturday morning, as well as consuming an excessive amount of alcohol.

I take full responsibility for the poor choices I made, I am devastated and my actions were out of character.

Playing footy for Melbourne Storm and the Kiwis is a great honour and I apologise for letting down everyone involved in both organisations.

I will be stepping down from my leadership roles with Melbourne Storm and the Kiwis, I understand I am a role model to the young players and the poor choices I made do not reflect my personal values.

I fully accept the sanctions that have been handed down.
No mention from the club or Jessie regarding the cocaine... ???
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There may be issues with ASADA if a player openly admits consuming drugs. Both the Titans and Storm statements have the players very remorseful without clearly stating that the cocaine allegations are true.

The sanctions seem harsh but fair. Hopefully the integrity unit and the NRL agree.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is it wrong of me to be ok with Bromwich never being captain of the club once Smith left? Have never really thought he was a club captain type.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And he should now have to wear a helmet with the word 'cretin' on it for the rest of the year to label him as a moron who can harm himself and others in public and to protect him from himself.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bitterly disappointed by those weak penalties the club has handed down. I thought we were genuine about maintaing a culture where no player is bigger than the team. 2 weeks is not a deterrent.

As Blazza said, Jesse was never captain material anyway.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:Bitterly disappointed by those weak penalties the club has handed down. I thought we were genuine about maintaing a culture where no player is bigger than the team. 2 weeks is not a deterrent.

Sacked from the leadership team. I don't think that is weak. Not at all.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He should be donating his pay for the rest of the year to charity, not one game.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

LESStar58 wrote:
Inglis#3 wrote:Bitterly disappointed by those weak penalties the club has handed down. I thought we were genuine about maintaing a culture where no player is bigger than the team. 2 weeks is not a deterrent.

He shouldn't even still be at our club.
I thought we were better than the 15 other clubs and would take a hard line on this.
If anyone believes this is the first time Jesse has done this you're kidding yourselves.

Also for Dave Donaghey to not rule out Jesse as being a future captain is beyond weak.
Appears our culture is beginning to slide.
Rina
Squall
Squall

He should be stood down for longer - Pearce was stood down for 6 weeks? 8 weeks? I was expecting 12 weeks minimum but the rest of the season sufficient. We'll see what punishment he gets from the NRL

Iesson learnt from this: we say that our club isn't affected by off field drama, but our shit is capable of stinking just as much as every other club's.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It was his first offence. Those other guys had more chances before long bans. One mistake does not mean you have to crucify them. Some players never learn, lets hope these guys do.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:
LESStar58 wrote:

I thought we were better than the 15 other clubs and would take a hard line on this.
If anyone believes this is the first time Jesse has done this you're kidding yourselves.

Also for Dave Donaghey to not rule out Jesse as being a future captain is beyond weak.
He'll be stood down for 2 weeks and in that time the NRL will come up with an additional punishment so he'll be out longer than a forthright.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Seriously everyone. Take a chill pill. I am anti drugs. I have never taken drugs. But they are rife everywhere and to expect league players to be immune is delusional​. First black mark against Jesse...so it deserves a warning shot across his bow....not to crucify him. First mistake. Move on. Second mistake if happen is more serious. Even in the AFL a first strike drug test against a player is kept in house without naming or punishment. He knows it was a major stuff up....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would be 100% sure that the NRL would have been informed by Storm what punishment was being handed out. No way Storm would make a unilateral decision.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Inglis#3 wrote:
LESStar58 wrote:

Settle down.