Rd 22 vs rabbitohs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Good sides grind out a win when they play poorly.
Suck it to the knob soufs fans sitting behind me. Let them know about it after the game.
Just watched the replay, and the commentators were riding soufs home like they had money on them.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Loved that. The week everyone is making a massive fuss about Jarryd Hayne returning to the sport like he was consistently the best player in the league before he left, Cam, one of the greatest of all time, shows his greatness once again.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone see will chambers having a fight with a bunnys player after full time ...Tohu and coops had to pull him away then coops gave him a talking too

As for the game...literally coops worst game and will is frustrating
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote:
BUT...if anyone said to me at the start of the year that Storm would top the table with a very healthy points difference at Round 22...I would have have knocked 'em down in the rush to take that.

just keep it ALL in perspective...
I get what you're saying SS and of course every one of us would take our position in a heartbeat if asked at the start of the season but that doesn't mean we can't critique what was overall a poor performance. We heap praise on the boys (and rightly so) when they put on a cracking performance which has been far more often than not this season so it shouldn't be any different when they put in a below par effort.

Nobody is jumping off the team, unfairly bagging them or being fickle, we're just giving an honest assessment of the game exactly as we would if we smashed them by 50. To be honest i hate giving a negative review on the boys performance but it's hardly fair and balanced to give glowing praise when it's warranted then go all quiet when we put in an average effort.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
Storm Spirit wrote:
BUT...if anyone said to me at the start of the year that Storm would top the table with a very healthy points difference at Round 22...I would have have knocked 'em down in the rush to take that.

just keep it ALL in perspective...
I get what you're saying SS and of course every one of us would take our position in a heartbeat if asked at the start of the season but that doesn't mean we can't critique what was overall a poor performance. We heap praise on the boys (and rightly so) when they put on a cracking performance which has been far more often than not this season so it shouldn't be any different when they put in a below par effort.

Nobody is jumping off the team, unfairly bagging them or being fickle, we're just giving an honest assessment of the game exactly as we would if we smashed them by 50. To be honest i hate giving a negative review on the boys performance but it's hardly fair and balanced to give glowing praise when it's warranted then go all quiet when we put in an average effort.
Yep Ice....I agree about critiquing a poor performance...BUT....the poor performance still needs to be put in context of the overall season.

I heard Nick Del Santo (ex st kilda now North Melbourne player) on ABC Radio today while I was working in the garden say that it was unrealistic to expect players or a team in modern elite sport to be "up" every week of the season.

I fully expect Bellamy to address this 'grinding' win and the lack of urgency at times.

I would rather it NOW ...than in 4 weeks time...so critique away...but keep it ALL in perspective...that's all I am saying
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote:
BUT....the poor performance still needs to be put in context of the overall season.

I heard Nick Del Santo (ex st kilda now North Melbourne player) on ABC Radio today while I was working in the garden say that it was unrealistic to expect players or a team in modern elite sport to be "up" every week of the season.
I don't think any one of us expect the boys to be up every single week SS because that's literally impossible given the length of the season and the brutal nature of the game. None of are saying we should be, we're just giving our opinion on this one game like we do every other week and like i said you cant just comment on the good and go all quiet on the bad.

I don't necessarily agree that one single game should be tied in with the whole season because they're two completely different things, if we're critiquing the whole season overall it's been absolutely brilliant and i'm sure we all couldn't be happier with how it's gone so far. If we're critiquing that one game then it was below par and i'm sure the boys and coach would be every bit as disappointed with the effort and even more so than anyone. IMO they aren't one and the same and should both be looked at differently.

But anyway we'll agree to disagree on this one because it's not overly important either way. Even though we put in an average effort last night i in know way think it diminishes our chances of taking out the comp and i'm every bit as confident we can after last nights game as i was before it. Like i said nobody expects the boys to be up every single week and last night was just one of those inevitable flat performances.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
Storm Spirit wrote:
BUT....the poor performance still needs to be put in context of the overall season.

I don't think any one of us expect the boys to be up every single week SS because that's literally impossible given the length of the season and the brutal nature of the game. None of are saying we should be, we're just giving our opinion on this one game like we do every other week and like i said you cant just comment on the good and go all quiet on the bad.

I don't necessarily agree that one single game should be tied in with the whole season because they're two completely different things, if we're critiquing the whole season overall it's been absolutely brilliant and i'm sure we all couldn't be happier with how it's gone so far. If we're critiquing that one game then it was below par and i'm sure the boys and coach would be every bit as disappointed with the effort and even more so than anyone. IMO they aren't one and the same and should both be looked at differently.

But anyway we'll agree to disagree on this one because it's not overly important either way. Even though we put in an average effort last night i in know way think it diminishes our chances of taking out the comp and i'm every bit as confident we can after last nights game as i was before it. Like i said nobody expects the boys to be up every single week and last night was just one of those inevitable flat performances.
Yep...GO STORM...we are agreed on that ;D
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

You can't play well every week.
Cronulla lost yesterday as well.
To be honest, I think Canberra will probably beat us next week.
Then the week after is a new ball game.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hopefully the Cowboys loss gives you'll some more perspective. The good sides find ways to win when not playing their best. Cowboys were doing that last year. They didn't do it today but we did last night.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote:Anyone see will chambers having a fight with a bunnys player after full time ...Tohu and coops had to pull him away then coops gave him a talking too

I couldn't make it to the game and without watching the entire replay it's great to hear the opinions on here. From the sounds of it Chambers had a poor game. I watched the highlights and the Gray try that was disallowed could be put down to a bad defensive read by Chambers.

Sallymay do you think Chambers was just having an off night in general? It's out of character for him to start fights with other players after the game.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Sometimes you have to give credit to the other team. The bunnies came to be physical and slow the game down (every time they got a penalty or restart they took an age to get going). We tend to struggle against physical teams, not that I am saying we are week, but teams who dominate tend to have better success on us.
Thought the refs spoilt the game a little with a number of confusing penalties, for both teams.
Fair play to the bunnies for coming out all guns blazing but class (Smith) rose to the surface.
Think he would have to be favourite for the Dally M, but think that Finucane has been our most consistent player all year so is my call for Storm POTY
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm POTY could go to Munster, Cronk, J.Bromwich, Smith, Harris or Finucane in my opinion. It's wide open.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Dally M should have Smith all over it. Has been outrageously good. Even when Cronk was ahead of Smith in the votes when the ladder went behind closed doors I thought Smith was playing better than Cronk and Smith has definitely been the better player on this side of origin too. Come on Smithers.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:
sallymay wrote:Anyone see will chambers having a fight with a bunnys player after full time ...Tohu and coops had to pull him away then coops gave him a talking too

I couldn't make it to the game and without watching the entire replay it's great to hear the opinions on here. From the sounds of it Chambers had a poor game. I watched the highlights and the Gray try that was disallowed could be put down to a bad defensive read by Chambers.

Sallymay do you think Chambers was just having an off night in general? It's out of character for him to start fights with other players after the game.

I've asked so many people and no one saw what I saw...maybe he was just angry at himself