Marika Korobiete

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ugh. I get that he's an entertaining player to watch but I'd rather let him go than give him a four year deal.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Ugh. I get that he's an entertaining player to watch but I'd rather let him go than give him a four year deal.
Why? A couple of average games at the start of this year does not undo the overwhelming good he brings.

He has consistently been one of our best since joining us. A number of games we would have certainly lost without him.

There is no substitute for complete effort and that is what Koroibete gives every game.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not really into giving many players long term deals, definitely not into giving wingers 4 year deals. Would love to know what money is being offered there as well since I don't think wingers deserve big money. He's helped us win games no doubt, he's also been a big reason why we've also lost games.

If he stays then cool. If he doesn't then I'm cool with that too.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We do need to hold onto some outside backs though, this constant turnover kills us and is why we now have Ryan Morgan and Cheyse Blair - players proven to not be able to really hurt the opposition.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm gutted. All but certain now.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

bula wrote:I'm gutted. All but certain now.
Relax...all conjecture.
Typical media. They get on a roll & none of it is based on fact

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/n ... 5eec5ddbdf
Melbourne Storm NRL winger Marika Koroibete is all but certain to be playing rugby union next season with the rival Melbourne Super Rugby franchise, the Rebels.
It is understood Koroibete has passed the Rebels’ medical examination despite his recent ankle injury, and while both Rebels and Australian Rugby Union officials have stipulated that the deal hasn’t been finalised, any sticking points are believed to be minor.
The 23-year-old is blessed with blistering pace, which has made him one of the most potent attacking weapons in the NRL, but he is keen to switch to rugby union, although the massive offer put forward by the ARU certainly did no harm, either.
The Rebels are leading the Australian conference on 23 points, two points ahead of the Waratahs and Brumbies, but are desperate for the injection of pace that Koroibete would bring.
The flying Fijian has been in red-hot form this season, scoring five tries in seven games.
Certainly the Storm don’t need any further disruption to a backline that has been decimated by injuries this year, with Billy Slater playing just one round before needing season-ending shoulder surgery and fellow Queensland and Kangaroos player Will Chambers out for three months with a fractured foot. And then there have been injuries to Cheyse Blair, Jeremy Hawkins and Curtis Scott.
Koroibete’s likely code-hopping might be adding urgency but that’s the reason why the Storm were so interested in Parramatta centre-winger Ryan Morgan even before the Eels were punished this week for salary cap rorts.
Hopes that rugby might benefit from Parramatta’s salary cap firesale by picking up another blockbusting NRL winger, Kangaroos debutant Semi Rad¬radra, look to be doomed, at least as far as Eels officials are concerned.
Fox Sports rugby commentator Greg Martin said that, in the wake of the Eels’ salary cap punishments, the 15-a-side game would be crazy not to zero in on the former Fijian sevens star.
An ARU spokesman said if Radradra showed a genuine interest in playing rugby, then he might be sounded out.
But it seems a moot point with Eels coach Brad Arthur claiming Radradra would not be going anywhere.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Does Marika even have a strong rugby pedigree...or any rugby background at all??

Will Chambers was from a rugby background IIRC and he only lasted 2 years back in the game...then realised where his future really lay.

I hope Marika sorts out that little equation before he decides to jump ship..
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

oh yeah...and a pretty decent League bloke called Burgess couldn't make a fist of rugby either...

different position I understand...but i think it would take some effort to transition..

Wendell Sailor obviously did very well as did Lote Tuqiri....not ever player is going to succeed
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah true but Joe Tomane became a Wallaby, Eto Nabuli is holding his own and wasn't much of a first grader as well as Naiyarovoro never cracked FG at Wests Tigers, went on to be a regular for Waratahs and played for Wallabies too. I think Marika will do well.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bit of a difference between Burgess not making it in another code as an outside centre to a winger playing the same position.
HaliStorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

IF MK stays with us for 4 years I reckon he'd be be up their with Marcus Bai in terms of how he'd be viewed by fans. We definitely should go after him hard, it's a risk offering such a long contract, but he's young and will baring injuries continue improving.

Fair enough he's got a few silly errors in him, but he more than makes up for it. His speed, and strength as he hits the line are up there with the best of them. His defence is pretty decent as his speed means even if he misses the first time he usually gets another chance.

He's an absolute crowd pleaser, we are in the entertainment business. He's someone that is very easy to entice non league fans to come to a game to watch. I wish he'd get more chances to burn people on the outside, but it's not our typical style of play. He embodies all the things that are good about the game, an absolute excitement machine and i for one will be very sad if he leaves us.

Let's face it, if he wants the easy money union is the way to go, however he may well get bored standing out on the wing.

My fingers toes and everything else are crossed that he stays with us.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

He has signed with Rebels and only playing out the season
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mystormboys wrote:He has signed with Rebels and only playing out the season
Well has has to look after himself and his family...so best of luck Marikia..

Lets bring in the next winger who will become a Storm favorite...

that's NRL and life...
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

James Hooper claims Wallabies coach Michael Chieka has guaranteed Marika a spot on end of year tour.
IF thats true that's a joke.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Without a direct quote from Cheika that has to be a joke. Korobeite MAY well transition into a good union winger, but that is far from guaranteed. I think Cheika is far too professional to say something like that. I'm sure there would be eligibility issues too.