Round 6 - Storm vs Bulldogs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron smith was great tonight. Cronk awful again, he has lost his vision. Koroibete should have scored a couple. Munster should have got that ball down. Green continues to be useless. What a huge loss Slater is again. I wish Scott Drinkwater was a couple of years older. Sam Perret always plays out of his skin against us.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sack Hampton. He offers nothing.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Do something
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

LESStar58 wrote:Sack Hampton. He offers nothing.
What you expect him to perform miracles?
We had enough ball, all the stats in our favour just the Dogs defended wayyyy better than us. The Dogs last try, in the lead up, somebody had hold of the Dogs player but nobody came in to help, he offloaded and try in the right corner. Looks like nobody is playing for each other. Get off Greens back, he looks like he's trying a lot more things than our No. 7 is. Oh wait, lets try the wrap around with Proctor again! Like Cronks dummy, it may work one of these years...
Oh, and the bounce of the ball, if only it went our way, just once.
Molly
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

The player formerly known as Cooper Cronk needs a spell. Any half decent side knows how easy we are to shut down close to the line. Has Bellamy ever heard about running angles? Smith took some very ordinary options tonight which stymied the attack as well, we have some kind of unbreakable bond with the short side its frustrating. And as for our plan of attack, it seems to be hit up, hit up, hit up, hit up, throw it to Marika then kick. That is elite class Rugby League. All I can say is thank God for Jessie Bromwich.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

These guys are playing at the highest level and yet riddled with errors, lack of execution and positional plays are sketchy.
They are a team not running on all cylinders unfortunately. I'm seeing them hitting the right gears when it matters as they should be taking a lot out of this game. I would subscribe to getting them mentally aware not to give away silly penalties and reinforce the rules (which sounds odd for the highest level.)
Clamp down and on the 50/50 chip-kicks, with correct passing in those conditions you could always draw and pass faster then the defence can move.
Start making sure forwards are in better position to play decoy and make their runs believable (best forward in this is Jesse, Glasby and Dale, everyone needs to learn from them) our players are not sucking in any defenders with some of their runs. They should be running as if they are literally going to be given the pass. Eg Kafusi off Smith second half, not believable Smith couldn't even pass to him of he wanted too.
I can go on for ever but main thing is no one panic (yet) just need them to do better. End of my rant.
And I look forward to the day players are in their preferred positions lol.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Gaiscioch, well said.
The angled runs / cut back inside plays is something that's not in the Bellamy repertoire. When the defence is sliding across it's dreadfully hard to defend against. It happened once directly in front of me last night, 2nd half, we're shifting it to the left, MK5 needed to come in on the angled run and take the pass on the inside. Easier said than done but if practised at training......
As for the dummy runs (with the emphasis on dummy) everybody knows who is and isn't going to get the ball. The second man plays were read perfectly by the Dogs all night and the dummy runners never looked to be getting it. As for the dummy walkers / blockers, ala Proctor when we had the try disallowed (correctly, regardless of the Dogs player falling over whilst be brushed by a feather), well, hmmm.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think our attack is about 10% of clicking together, the last pass, timing off, knock on we could and should have had 3 or 4 more tries last night.
People are bagging Hampton, who I thought defended well last night for a guy playing 'out of position', but he does seem to have lost a bit of pace, a couple of times in the last couple of games he has had clear grass in front of him and been caught.
I think a concerning issue is the form of our QLD and Australian centre on the other flank, who doesn't seem to want to pass to his winger he would rather hold on or kick. I think Young has been our most promising back this year, he's a mass of energy given early ball I think he could do some damage with his footwork, power and enthusiasm.
The Same energy and enthusiasm come when Kenny B comes on.
Jordan Mc always seems more damaging when he comes on for his second spell, maybe bring him of the bench and start another big guy.
Think NAS had a big of a dig last night, if he continues to work hard like that then hopefully we can keep him.
Koro is rocks and diamonds, that's the type of player I believe he is, but you need someone like that to change a game (but not always for the positive)
I think most people have had there opinions on Cronk this year. He is a senior member of the team and other look to him to alter the game, that's why he is paid the big bucks and so far he is not living up to that billing this year. People bagging Green seems to be the new thing on this forum, think most of it is unwarranted myself.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Priority this week (besides passing from DH/HB which is still abysmal) - When defending on our line, EVERY player needs to know how to (and practice again-and-again) position opposition decoy runners on their outside shoulder and ensure the decoy has no choice but to contact their outside shoulder. Then hit the deck like you have been shot...

This needs to happen every goal line set.

That Tony Williams effort was disgusting and embarrassing for the game but if that is how the referees are going to interpret obstruction, we have to play to their warped version of RL.