Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Titans have released 31 year old prop Matthew White from the final year of his contract so he can join Storm in 2016. White has played 123 games for Titans and played 28 games with Knights.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

God damn it. The last thing we needed was another no thrills forward. We have enough workhorses. We need players with impact. How hard is that to understand? Stop coaching like we're still in the early 2000's, Craig.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oh goodie
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He'll play more games than he should because Bellamy. But he shouldn't come close to cracking the forward pack next season if everyone was available.

Laughable signing though.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Never really rated white but considering we r losing Weston, TLL(Correct me if I'm wrong) and Hinchy we do need someone new and if 1 new name is all we get I'm happy as 2 other Storm grown forwards will get a spot
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why do we keep buying old dead beat forwards. It like Storm is where forwards come to die.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm so angry there is a possibility they might be letting Francis Taulau go...it makes me so sad and angry

And we won't know for sure till after Saturday night when they show the departing player video
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am done I am not going Saturday night. I am sick of losing to bottom of the table sides. It was meant to be fans night last night and that team did nothing for the fans. We once a team that hardly ever got beaten at home and this year we have been beaten at home so often I am over it. I have to travel a far way to get to get to game. Swap RDO's to get off work for week night games, so I am done. This five day turn around is to short for me. If we make the finals we will be out in one game again. The game plan is not working anymore.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:I am done I am not going Saturday night. I am sick of losing to bottom of the table sides. It was meant to be fans night last night and that team did nothing for the fans. We once a team that hardly ever got beaten at home and this year we have been beaten at home so often I am over it. I have to travel a far way to get to get to game. Swap RDO's to get off work for week night games, so I am done. This five day turn around is to short for me. If we make the finals we will be out in one game again. The game plan is not working anymore.

That's the spirit Glenn....wonderful support for our club

Let's smash the team which has given us all countless, untold and immense joy over the last 10 years.

Yes....they don't deserve our support anymore. Let's all not turn up any more. Let the Club fold...they lima lima lima duck deserve it for being a useless rabble like 14 other teams have been perennial basket cases every year over the last 10 years.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
GoogleD
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Disgraceful post by 'glennb'.. I'm sure the club if anyone reads this will be sure to want more fans like yourself. These players bust their asses for the Storm Jersey...Pull your head in.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gotta ride the highs and the lows.

I hope you arent watching the sharemarket too because its not your week!
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Dud signing. The recruitment in the past 2 years is awful.

Norrie was a dead duck the last 2 years of his career. Rose...the less said the better. TTL was another dud and now we have picked up the titans worse front rower..this guys is worse than Ian Donnelley.

I can't figure out why we have recruited him and aren't focussing on signing some of our youg guys or young guys from other teams.

Green has been a good signing for us but again we aren't recruiting in the backs. To much of our cash is tied up with Smith, Cronk and Slater and we aren't able to compete with other teams for promising players anymore. As those 3 get older we are gettign elss value out of them

Slater will be injured again next yeat, he will stillplay Origin..get further injured and then not play for us again! Smith is so lathagic on the field, he used to have alot of time but now he seems just slow and not interested. And Cronk only has one play when things go agasint us..he tries to hog the ball and run from side to side like a lunatic and every team knows where the ball is going and they stack that side with a extra defender and the fullback. EVERY single time! If you look at our wins in the first half of the season we won alot of games becasue Cronk wasn't that heavily invlvoed in all plays but he cameup with the crucial ones. Green was being more dominate. i think Slate being out also impacts this but Cronk to Proctor isn't working. (yes I know we scored one with Crink to Proctor, Proctor to Cronk but they tried that many more times in the game and it didn't work)

I think we will be sitting ducks in the finals. I'm still travelling from Sydney to watch the Cowboys game becasue I love the team and will support them no matter what but for crying out loud guys give us fans form hope! if not from on the field atleast from a recruitment and development perspective!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We do watch the same games right? Cause I don't see a lot of that but hell that's for another thread completely
Kya
Squall
Squall

In relation to White signing, it's likely a standard contract and he will be say the 25th player on our top 25 on our list. We currently have 21 players signed and the last two years we have had 32/33 including 2nd tier. Add Duffie, Slater, Suli, Welch and Nona. Still a lot of space on our list that we would be looking to cover.

Few points:
We were never in hunt for Nikorima, though I applaud the club for trying ( The roosters deal has been on for months and Broncos can't afford to match considering that they have resigned everybody they wanted to keep)

Again with MBye, while unlikely to happen, at least aggressive in their pursuit but you never know.

People complaining about White, common sense says you have some experience on your list as a precaution (especially since we are losing Hinchy, likely TLL, Weston etc) and if our younger players are good enough than he rarely plays. But as we have seen previously, young players can mentally and physically be stuffed by the end of their first year.

The Big three argument about money is tiring and ignorant. Do you realise that it was our hidden excessive TPA agreements that is now the basis of how every club structures their salary cap?
We are a foreign game in a foreign market in Melbourne, so unlike Souths, Dogs and Roosters we don't have several billionaires / large companies paying our TPAs for large numbers of players on a single list bc most of our players don't hold any commercial value in this market.
So our big three all have large TPAs because of their resounding success as Qlders.

You know who else gets paid big money on our list ?
3 NZ rep players, one who is currently the best prop in the game. Proctor is overpaid but guess what? - that's the reality of sport today - you don't pay what someone is worth, you pay more to keep them, you pay more to lure them to another state, you pay them on what you hope to god they deliver but at the end of the day you pay MORE.

What about Chambers who is an Australian and Qld rep and both of those honours were well on the way when he signed his contract a few years ago which would have come into account at the time. (Let's exclude current form ok!)

We have lucked out with some of our buys over the years and done extremely well with our development, but not every player will want to come here and we won't always be able to afford others. At least we have pursued players and missed out rather than doing nothing. There are 10 clubs in NSW, 3 in Qld - players will always want to stay close to home and it means we will always have a struggle for players when their is a greater chance they can stay home but just move clubs.

All I can say is that the club do a hell of a lot of development and recruitment work behind the scenes with constrained resources and stuff all support from NRL.

By all means be critical and question signings but look at the bigger picture.
Look at our current side this week and imagine next year. Omit Mann & Hinchy, add Slater, Finucane, Welch as 18th Man etc (for gods sake sign Taulau so sallymay can be happy )

A few more signings will eventually come and I have no doubt someone will pop up who surprises or excels with us but have some faith. Every club picks duds but look through our history of recruitment, fair to say we have done alright in less than 20 years of existence!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kya wrote:In relation to White signing, it's likely a standard contract and he will be say the 25th player on our top 25 on our list. We currently have 21 players signed and the last two years we have had 32/33 including 2nd tier. Add Duffie, Slater, Suli, Welch and Nona. Still a lot of space on our list that we would be looking to cover.

Few points:
We were never in hunt for Nikorima, though I applaud the club for trying ( The roosters deal has been on for months and Broncos can't afford to match considering that they have resigned everybody they wanted to keep)

Again with MBye, while unlikely to happen, at least aggressive in their pursuit but you never know.

People complaining about White, common sense says you have some experience on your list as a precaution (especially since we are losing Hinchy, likely TLL, Weston etc) and if our younger players are good enough than he rarely plays. But as we have seen previously, young players can mentally and physically be stuffed by the end of their first year.

The Big three argument about money is tiring and ignorant. Do you realise that it was our hidden excessive TPA agreements that is now the basis of how every club structures their salary cap?
We are a foreign game in a foreign market in Melbourne, so unlike Souths, Dogs and Roosters we don't have several billionaires / large companies paying our TPAs for large numbers of players on a single list bc most of our players don't hold any commercial value in this market.
So our big three all have large TPAs because of their resounding success as Qlders.

You know who else gets paid big money on our list ?
3 NZ rep players, one who is currently the best prop in the game. Proctor is overpaid but guess what? - that's the reality of sport today - you don't pay what someone is worth, you pay more to keep them, you pay more to lure them to another state, you pay them on what you hope to god they deliver but at the end of the day you pay MORE.

What about Chambers who is an Australian and Qld rep and both of those honours were well on the way when he signed his contract a few years ago which would have come into account at the time. (Let's exclude current form ok!)

We have lucked out with some of our buys over the years and done extremely well with our development, but not every player will want to come here and we won't always be able to afford others. At least we have pursued players and missed out rather than doing nothing. There are 10 clubs in NSW, 3 in Qld - players will always want to stay close to home and it means we will always have a struggle for players when their is a greater chance they can stay home but just move clubs.

All I can say is that the club do a hell of a lot of development and recruitment work behind the scenes with constrained resources and stuff all support from NRL.

By all means be critical and question signings but look at the bigger picture.
Look at our current side this week and imagine next year. Omit Mann & Hinchy, add Slater, Finucane, Welch as 18th Man etc (for gods sake sign Taulau so sallymay can be happy )

A few more signings will eventually come and I have no doubt someone will pop up who surprises or excels with us but have some faith. Every club picks duds but look through our history of recruitment, fair to say we have done alright in less than 20 years of existence!
=D>
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time