Rd 12 vs Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
toffee
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Also, what was with Cronk constantly kicking early in the tackle count?
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think that's the first time I've ever switched a Storm game off before full time. As soon as Maloney started looking for Kurt Mann I was done.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Oh well it wasn`t our best game..
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

stormy wrote:Oh well it wasn`t our best game..
And the Titanic has a few scratches that need touching up.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hinchy playing the ball the wrong way summed up our night.....Just laugh and move on...it rd 12 we have won more then we have lost and are 4th on the ladder...one bad game doesn't make a season
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Roosters smashed us from the start. Storm / Cronk seemed to play "Orford" football where we panicked and wanted to score off every tackle instead of building pressure with solid sets of six. Too many errors once we finally got the ball. Hinchy's play the ball certainly summed up the night.

Kurt Mann's efforts in defence were a concern. Does he get another chance on Saturday? Or do we bring Hymel Hunt in?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8993451 this summed up the game...just move on...it could be worse we could be manly
Kya
Squall
Squall

Well from the lowlights and this board, clearly I chose the right night to go see Mad Max instead of watching the game. We always have a really really really crap game every season, this was clearly it.

The fact that according to Bellamy that our 3 best players were our Origin stars says that just like last season, a few players need a real kick up the arse and I'm sick of hearing how some of these guys are our emerging leaders but fail to stand up when needed.

Positives are Billy to return and hopefully JMac might be back. I'd rather drop Weston ahead of anyone else and frankly if Mann is going elsewhere than lets blood Hunt and see how he goes. Mann has been solid at times playing out of his preferred position but Hunt is a bigger body and might be less of a pushover. Won't know unless we try.

I initially understood why Craig didn't play Munster on wing as he had no previous experience there but frankly he is outplaying everyone at Qcup level and might as well get a baptism of fire style initiation at wing. Will be interested to see if Duffie gets a crack come origin period.

On a side note, actually really felt for Cronk in presser, he spoke well but what was noticeable was that he was labouring to get in a lot of oxygen well after the game had finished. There is no way he isn't still struggling with that rib injury.
Let's hope the players respond this week !
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/sydney ... heh96.html

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy labels team "soft as butter" and "mentally weak".

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy described his team's performance as being as "soft as butter" and his side were "we were physically and mentally weak" in their 24-2 loss to the Roosters on Monday night.

Bellamy sat composed but was highly critical of the effort his side displayed after the Storm were blown off the park in the four tries to nil loss, in what was their worst performance of the season.

"We were soft as butter in the first 10-20 minutes," Bellamy said. "We didn't have the ball but we couldn't get ourself in the game. We were physically and mentally weak. We got what we deserved. I'm not quite sure why we would start like that. We started both halves like that. The only time we only competed was the last 10-12 minutes in the first half. We were lucky to score two and they were unlucky they scored 24. I'm not quite sure why we would lack that sort of intensity."

Bellamy said his three Origin players – Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Will Chambers – were his side's best. The Storm had gone into camp in Geelong in preparation for the game, where the focus on playing well minus their stars was discussed.

"We came up with a few things that were important in the next six to eight weeks but obviously it was all talk," Bellamy said. "No action tonight. I'm not going to be super hard on them. That was a disappointing performance. We've gone 11 games now and we have been really competitive this year."

Bellamy said the half-time vibe was positive as the Storm trailed by just 10 despite the Roosters dominating possession.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson said his players shared their workload in a good team effort. A standout player was hard to come by for the Roosters, however props Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Sam Moa plus James Maloney, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Mitchell Aubusson were among their best.

The Roosters have won their past three games with solid performances against the Tigers and Canterbury. "It was a pretty good performance," Robinson said. "Obviously we started well. A lot of guys were playing some good footy. We are still trying to find some stuff in attack there. We were much better in defence. I'm not sure where Melbourne were at tonight. I thought we were pretty good."

Robinson said injured centre Blake Ferguson was an outside chance of making his return for their next clash against Cronulla on Sunday. "He was never going to play tonight," Robinson said. "He might not play next week. There is still some confidence there to go."
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I stopped watching after 50 minutes but no way in hell was Cronk one of our best last night.

Bellamy was right though, we didn't look mentally there at all. In games after origin you expect your players to come out and prove something.

Our left edge was a strength at the beginning of the season and now it's gone missing in action. Thought the bye week might help there but it didn't look it last night.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:I stopped watching after 50 minutes but no way in hell was Cronk one of our best last night.

Bellamy was right though, we didn't look mentally there at all. In games after origin you expect your players to come out and prove something.

Our left edge was a strength at the beginning of the season and now it's gone missing in action. Thought the bye week might help there but it didn't look it last night.
I agree Cronk wasn't good... but I think in Bellamy's defence, he was questioning players being soft and lacking effort. Cronk's execution was nowhere near where we expect, but I don't think he put the cue in the rack. Behind a forward pack that was decimated he was always going to be up against it in attack. He was still putting his effort in, cleaning up kicks and body on the line in defence I thought
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Why do we still opt to kick off every time we win the toss? Unless there is a gale blowing and we want to run with the wind in the first half, our preference is always to kick off... That might have been a great idea 4 or 5 years ago when we were interested in defending, but it just gives the opposition to fly out of the gates if we aren't intent on some staunch defence.

You could see our effort in the very first set. Sat on our heels, refused ro get up off the defensive line and let the Roosters big guys come to us. This happened all night and the backs had a field day off the back of that.

I don’t know how you overcome such a monumental lack of enthusiasm in 5 days...
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Frightfully insipid performance. I also turned off.