Round 11 - Melbourne v North Queensland

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Very disappointed by Proctor. He was a passenger all night. For a bloke who's suppose to be stepping up to become a leader of our forward pack he was very underwhelming again.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Please let Cody be fit next week. In Hampton and Walker and Out Roberts. Then we will have two halves as opposed to none this week.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really could've come up with more in attack I think. What an effort from the captain with 54 tackles last I heard.

Defense wasn't too bad I thought and a couple weeks to get use to no Slater or Cronk and we'll be ok.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

That was one of (if not) the worst ever games of football I have ever seen. Where was the attack?????? I seriously don’t know how many times we were in the Cowboys 20, but at no point tonight did we even look like remotely scoring once. Cam showed why he is a future immortal as he tried his guts out after injuring his ankle in Origin and then playing 80 mins and making 50+ tackles tonight. The rest of the team can hang their heads in shame. At least score a bloody try, that would have at least met the minimum criteria. Pathetic Storm, and this is not a troll comment by any means.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Considering what we were expecting we did pretty darn well to keep them scoreless for 20mins (I think).

Good to see cam munster get a crack. Mann, Young, Hampton, Munster need experience as soon as they can get it. For a very raw and young group of players I am happy with today.

Communicating was not up to standard I think. Running it on the last or kicks with poor chases and norries break with little support were evidence of this.

Would love to see another young storm outfit come out against Sydney
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Proctor and Roberts were the two players I thought gave us very little. All in all, I'm proud of the effort the boys gave. Thought we defended well enough to keep us in the game, we just lacked creativity and direction.

We made well over 100 tackles more than them. And two of their 4 tries came from freakish plays.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Proctor and Roberts were the two players I thought gave us very little. All in all, I'm proud of the effort the boys gave. Thought we defended well enough to keep us in the game, we just lacked creativity and direction.

We made well over 100 tackles more than them. And two of their 4 tries came from freakish plays.
agreed...

was looking for playing effort and pride in the jersey...

i thought that most gave it all night...some in patches...

getting NRL games into Mann & Munster is invaluable...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jesse Bromwich was huge for us again, it will take something special from someone else to stop him winning player of the year this year.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Even though we lost (and tbh probably fortunate it was not by more) , sometimes it's a privilege to watch a once in a lifetime player play.

Cameron Smith just continues to entrench that he is without doubt or question a future immortal and one of the greats of this game and watching his effort tonight knowing that he was not right just proves that he deserves every accolade and every dollar he earns.

I would put Walker and Hampton in for the next few weeks and see if they can capitalise on their preseason combinations as they are both more attacking players than Roberts.
Would love to see Jordan straight back in the side but will probably play NSW Cup.
Well done to Munster on debut, tried hard and still just learning much like Mann and Young. Future looks a bit brighter than the critics would have us believe.

If we can win half of our games without Cronk and try and have a solid string of wins at the back end of the season, I would be impressed.

Special mention to Jesse Bromwich, he just gets better and better and his effort over and over again is a wonderful example to certain other players in our side about what it means to just keep trying on every play and in every effort.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Question Roberts' attack as much as you like but he was one of our best in defence. Much less worried about conceding a try down the left every time the opposition has the ball than when Hampton is playing.

The completion rate was diabolical. In a game where we have hardly any ball to begin with you can't expect to compete when we keep turning over on tackle 1 and 2.

Tonumaipea had probably his worst game so far.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

brisbanestorm fair point re Roberts' tackling.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Completely fair point on Roberts defence.
I just think that since we are in this situation of no Cronk, we might as well play Walker and Hampton as a combo as they were training together all preseason.

Just for some continuity, I just think it MAY be a good idea to test them out now that there are both spots available.

Roberts could also play left centre and possibly drop Mann or Young for a game just to give them a break or to set up a stronger left edge defence.

The reality is without Slater and Cronk we know it will be tough to win without them because we just don't have the depth especially as Juz and Duff are out long term who would normally help cover them during Origin or be regular starters ahead of Mann and Young.

May as well see if Walker is up to first grade and allow Hampton to continue to develop. I know Hampton needs to learn a lot more about first grade but it seems (only my observation) that people seem to think every young player is going to come into first grade and star or play a handful of games and be amazing, than when they don't, people want to drop them. (If they are terrible than yes drop them, but there have been a large number of guilty players early on in the season contributing to poor defence)

We are in transition phase of blooding new players while also trying to remain competitive, and we don't have the luxury of bottoming out because we financially need to remain competitive to ensure we have a team in Melbourne for years to come.

But who knows, I would rather we use a combo of those three than buy yet another fill in half, let's just develop who we have and hope that the short term pain is for long term gain.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kya wrote:Roberts could also play left centre and possibly drop Mann or Young for a game just to give them a break or to set up a stronger left edge defence.
I'm not really sure the 3 games of playing centre in 8 years means he can actually play in the centres. Anyway, once Slater, Walker and Hampton are all healthy/off suspension, I wouldn't have Roberts in the team. His "experience" brought nothing to the team last night.
I know Hampton needs to learn a lot more about first grade but it seems (only my observation) that people seem to think every young player is going to come into first grade and star or play a handful of games and be amazing, than when they don't, people want to drop them. (If they are terrible than yes drop them, but there have been a large number of guilty players early on in the season contributing to poor defence)
Spot on here. Have said it all season. Could also say the same thing for the coaches. Have shown little faith in players this year than they have done in the past.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Was anyone seriously surprised to see cam play last night...storm have the same doctor as Australia Tony Ayoub who managed to get Billy Slaters 6 week knee injury right in 2 weeks for the World Cup final... he is a miracle worker...I wouldn't be surprised at all if billy was playing next week or the titans game/origin 2

I do just wanna say also I'm proud of the team last night they didn't lat the cowboys score for nearly 20 minutes so u gotta take somthing outta that right
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I thought our defensive effort was good considering they got thrown a curveball on Wednesday with the serious injuries to Billy and Coops. Our gameplans would have had to change. HOW GREAT WAS CAMMY.. MASSIVE EFFORT FROM OUR CHAMPION CAPTAIN. GAVE HIS ALL. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
no wonder thurston was so fit and ready for this game as he was MISSING IN ACTION in soo.