Not As Bad As First Thought

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I know it’s a setback we have lost Coops for a couple of months (and to a lesser extent Billy and Cam for the next couple of weeks), but this might be a positive for the club. For too long we have relied on them far too much and this might be the wake up the rest of the team needs to step out of their shadow and stand up to other teams. This might not be as bad as expected, but there should be no excuse for just giving up in the next few weeks if things get tough out on the field. Being smashed by over 20+ points is no excuse and is not be acceptable even without the Big Three.
storm77
Squall
Squall

I agree with you to a point but the problem is up until perhaps the last couple of weeks our defense had sucked and now not only have we lost our three best play makers but three of our best defenders.
Your right we shouldn't just throw in the towel and not play hard but these next couple of game are going to be very difficult on us.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cronk, Smith and Slater are our team. 99% of our game plan is structured around what they can do. It's going to be a massive ask for a club so heavily reliant on 3 players to do anything while they're out. Only positive out of all this is we might be able to see our future 1,6,7,9 play but Bellamy predictably wont go that way.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, I'm not feeling the "glass half full" sentiment... we are done. Our best performances this year have only come in the last couple of weeks with our "big 3" present & firing - that momentum, along with our season, is now gone in my opinion. Our backups in the halves are also busted or not up to first grade level, so we are in real trouble.

Geez, I'm really not looking forward to coming down from QLD to watch my wife's Roosters smash us next week! At least we'll get to see Jordan run out I suppose...
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

For years I've had to argue that the Storm were not just a 3 man team with my friends Didn't think I would ever have to do it with other supporters.

I agree that this is a big opportunity for our other players to show that they are good in their own rights.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In a week or two when Walker is fit we should play Hampton and Walker in the halves. Cody has been a gun at Qld Cup for a couple of years. His performances have been asking for a chance at NRL.

Come on Craig you know it makes sense.

In Cody I trust.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yep, soon as Cody is fit and recovered from that injury which prevented him for debuting a few weeks ago, he should be straight into the team. Has proven himself to be one of the best players in the QCup and his debut for us is long overdue.

In Cody WE trust.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nice work Inglis#3. Do I sense a Cody Walker Fan Club brewing? If so I nominate myself as president.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

brisbanestorm wrote:For years I've had to argue that the Storm were not just a 3 man team with my friends Didn't think I would ever have to do it with other supporters.

I agree that this is a big opportunity for our other players to show that they are good in their own rights.
What makes you think we aren't a 3 man team ? Our problems during origin when they aren't playing are glaring. One of Bellamy's biggest faults is not getting the team better prepared for it.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If a "three man team" is defined by the fact that we play poorly without our three best players, then yes, we are a three man team. As is every other team in the NRL...

FFS, take Inglis, S Burgess and Reynolds out of the bunnies and do you think they are dominant? It is a stupid premise spruiked by morons.

The main concern I have is how poorly our defence is when Smith is absent. Smith specifically. One player missing should not cause our structure to crumble.

I hope that the up tempo attack of the last two games is encouraged, especially now that we will be without those three. Offloads, offloads, offloads!!! Quick play the balls. Line speed in defence.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Souths still look like an actual first grade team when they miss their top 3 players. We don't. Dogs last week missed both their halves, a back rower and a centre yet still fought hard for 60 mins against the defending champs. Could we do that ? Highly doubtful. It's not even about looking dominate. Just looking like a team that has an idea of how to play footy would be great.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I have faith that my Champion team will do well and make me proud.

STILL REALLY SHATTERED ABOUT THE INJURIES TO OUR BIG THREE..
I HATE SOO.
tigerstorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Cody's form this year at Easts hasnt been as good as the previous 2 seasons. Had 1 great game against Burleigh but been quite other than that.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

tigerstorm - Uncertainty can do that. He's also no doubt been a bit confused as to where the club sees him in regards to their future plans.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pretty poor excuse if you ask me.