Ben Hampton & His North Queensland Roots

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne Storm rookie Ben Hampton will never forget his north Queensland roots

THEY say when a young sportsmen gets raised in north Queensland a part of them never leaves.

That when the hustle and hype of the big smoke engulfs them they have a way of absorbing life in their own unhurried way like Ben Hampton used to when fishing and camping on Mareeba’s Barron River or heading out to the Reef in search of a juicy snapper.

From the mould which gave us the laid-back likes of Dale Shearer, Laurie Spina and Paul Bowman comes another intriguing prospect in Hampton, the 22-year-old chosen to replace Melbourne Storm five-eighth Gareth Widdop.

In an age full of microwaved talent and snatch-and-grab contract deals, his story has a different hue for he has been slow-baked like a sumptuous roast meal.

The Storm signed Hampton eight years ago years ago but he could not instantly uproot and join them because he had another pressing engagement – Year 9 at Mareeba State High School. He was 14.

Hampton spent the last half of his schooling life in Mareeba on the Atherton Tablelands where his parents Murray and Megan run the caravan park they took over after leaving Temora in NSW a decade ago.

The Storm have never tried to rush him but when he needs to he can rush himself, having run second in an Australian under-16 sprint title clocking just over 11 seconds.

Knowing that speed is the one skill you cannot teach, it was this precious quality that caught their eye.

Hampton worked closely in recent years with Storm assistant coach Kevin Walters, who tonight becomes his rival, for Walters is now mentoring Newcastle Knights backs who will confront Hampton at AAMI Park in Melbourne.

When you close your eyes and listen to Hampton speak you hear a young Walters – knockabout, playful and happy to put himself out there.

Last year at training Hampton told Storm coaches they had left his team one short in a drill before they pointed out he forgot to count himself.

“Country kids are just different in that where the city kids have probably seen it all at a young age and know all about the pressures of life the country kids just seem to get on with it,’’ Walters said.

“Ben has got a very good temperament.

“He is a fine prospect.’’

Walters and Hampton were made for each other and the news that Walters was leaving Melbourne hit his young protege as deeply as any player.

“I got along realty well with ‘Kevvie’ and was a little bit upset to see he was leaving but that is the way things go,’’ Hampton said.

The Storm sensed their long term investment would reap a solid reward when Hampton, a former Queensland under-20 captain, was subjected to some fierce hits in his debut match against the Titans but dusted himself off and scored two tries.

“I had a couple of nice hits at fullback. But every coach tells their players to rip into the new young guy. I had to cop it all and just get back up.’’

Playing beside the famous trio of Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith, Hampton can resemble a backing singer for the Beatles but they want to him in full voice when it matters.

“If I see something that they want me to tell them,’’ he said.

“They want me to let them know.

“I have been training with them for a while.

“Don’t get me wrong they are the greatest players to me but they would rather I said something,’’ he said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbou ... 6862589937

----------

I knew he had been in our system for some time but I had no idea it was since he was 14.

He has looked great with his touches so far. Hopefully he can continue to build and own the Storm #6 jersey for years to come.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

how cute is little ben in his helmet
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cheers for posting that YH. I really am a massive fan of Hampton's. Hopefully he can do what Widdop can do and more but in his own style.

I believe he could be a future captain of this team.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

that would be a great story - kid comes as a 14 year old and stays on to be captain
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We're going after Greg Bird??

I'm glad the talent scouts found Ben - and even happier he's still here! Hopefully for many years to come too - immense talent and has some of the best the entire game offers as far as veteran players he can learn from. It feels weird to say Billy/Cooper/Cam are veterans. .... it still feels like their debut wasn't that long ago - greatness makes time go so quickly! So here's to another blistering fast 10-15 years! :)