Trial game 22/23 Feb: Vs Dogs and East Tigers:

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Guess thats what we have todays trial about
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bulldogs 20 Storm 10 Tries: Fonua, K Bromwich Goal: Smith

Roberts on report for spear tackle. Hinchy went off injured just after half time. Anyone with an update on his injury would be appreciated.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Had an ice pack on it at the end
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure how many of you listened to that triple M call but damn it was horrible. Was literally four amateur guys calling the game and it sounded like it too.

Really hard to do any kind of summary because the commentary was awful.

Lot of dropped ball from both teams. Right side defence not great by the sound of things. Chambers involved more in attack. Garbutt and Kaufusi got through a lot of work. Attack was more sharp with Smith out there (obviously). Hampton good early but was quite in the second half.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Not sure how many of you listened to that triple M call but damn it was horrible. Was literally four amateur guys calling the game and it sounded like it too.
Yeah I caught the second half, cheers for the link. Almost every play - "And Smith hands it off to... not sure who that was... Umm, Hinchcliffe with a knock on...." (Some other guy), "I think that was Griffin". In the end he basically gave up trying to get any names right.

From what I managed to decipher, it didn't sound too great from a Storm fan's perspective.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Had to turn it off after 5 minutes.

Was torture.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Rolled ankle for Hinchy. They'll know more once the swelling goes down.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If it sounded bad its cause it was...to many players trying too many things

i was at the game i sware if bellamy uses ben roberts in rd 1 i will go crazy...everytime he passes he passes to a dawarf...i seriously do not know how the **** he think ppl can catch the balls that low
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also ben hampton was good with cam then they took cam off and he went quiet from both trials id say rd1 will be

1Billy or Cam
2young
3will
4sisa
5mahe
6Ben
7cody or cooper
8tohu
9cam or hinchy or slade
10bryan
11george
12hoffy
13KP
14joel romalo
15mitch
16jordan
17jesse

Cam will proberly get a week for that stupid tackle even though it was hardly bad but so we will have to see
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Managed to get to the game and I know a lot of people would be interested in knowing how it went so I'll try to be as detailed as I can. Although it was a loss, there were definitely a lot of positives. Our defence was pretty solid all through barring a few lapses, however our attack was a bit down. This was to be expected given that Slater and Cronk were both out. We defended our line very well for long periods or time, and I think people will be surprised at who stood out here (I'll go into that later).

One of the Bulldogs trys came directly off a very silly offload from a winger (I think it was Waqa) as he was returning the ball early in the set, so we don't need to read a lot into that one. Then I think there was a try scored down each sideline, however they strangely had more success down our right hand side than left. It was a bit hard to pin point exactly what went wrong on these trys from where I was sitting but the first try scored down the left involved them having a 2 or 3 man over lap outside our last defender Young. I honestly can't remember how they scored their second try down Waqas wing, sorry about that. Their third try as I said came from some silly play resulting in an offload hitting the deck and them spreading it straight away and scoring out on the right wing. There was a fourth try scored down the right wing with about 2 minutes to go but I honestly cant remember what happened there. It ended up with a little scuffle but it was down the other end and my view was pretty obscured there.

Now the positives of the defence. We did manage to hold them out continuously when they began sets in our half. We defended aggressively with some very solid contact in tackles. In the first half I was sitting on the Storms left hand side, and surprisingly this is the size that aimed up very well. I distinctly remember each of Roberts, Fonua and Young stopping the Bulldogs play dead in their tracks. Teams may target this wing but if Mahe and Young defend like they did today we wont have too much to worry about. It was pretty clear they were defending with attack (if you know what I mean) where they rushed the Bulldogs and then 'hit and stuck'. Aside from the backs Garbett was very big in defence, along with Maclean. Both of them defended the middle very solidly against a very big Bulldogs pack. There would have been other individuals who performed well in defence but these players were the ones who stood out the most for me.

The two trys that we scored were very well constructed. The first one was Fonua's and was the first of the game. It was the last tackle of the set fairly close to the Bulldogs line and Roberts threw a long, early, cut out pass to Fonua who then grubbered through into the in-goal and chased his own kick to ground it just before the deadball line. He did quite well first to get the kick in (didn't think he would be able to weight his kick like that) and then to get to the ball first ahead of a couple of Dogs players. The second try came fairly late in the second half to Kenny B (didn't realise he was playing but he must have come in for Slater). It was set up from a fantastic run from Garbutt. He took a hit up and broke the bulldogs line before drawing the fullback and passing.

I thought Hampton had a lot of touches in attack showing that hes got the confidence to be a playmaker. He ran a play down the right which ended up with Chambers crossing the try line but he unfortunately threw a forward pass to Proctor in the lead up. The attack definitely looked better while Smith was on the field than while he was off. Thought Roberts did reasonably well but wasn't as involved as Hampton. Didn't try to over play his hand and I don't remember him coming up with any errors.

A quick run down of the players (again just my opinions of live play, I would have missed a lot).

22. Munster - had a solid game, ran the ball back well and made a few good cover tackles. Could be a good player to have during origin instead of moving a centre or winger to fullback
2. Waqa - didn't think it was his best game. 3 trys down his wing (those these may not have been his fault) but I am fairly sure he made the error which led directly to one. Was solid under the high ball and generally returning kicks
3. Chambers - made some good runs but didn't cleanly break the line. Very dependable as usual
4. Fonua - Had some great moments in both attack and defence. I really think he looks the goods to develop into a centre. Made a lot of good decisions in defence to rush the Bulldogs players and seemed to have a good combo with Young
5. Tonomaipea (as you might have noticed I'm not sure on spelling haha..) - Made some pretty good runs from dummy half. Actually one that I directly remember was off a quick play the ball where he showed a lot of awareness to make big meters straight up the middle of the ruck. He defended quite well as well.
6. Hampton - as I said involved himself quite well. Decision making wasn't bad but he obviously isn't quite the class of who we've had in previous years and will take time to develop. Kicking game had its good points but sometimes found Perrett on the full. Did make some errors
7. Roberts- got less time than Hampton but I think was solid through the game. As I said I can't remember him missing a tackle or making an error which is what I expected him to do. Some low passes though
8. Bromwich - solid in attack and defence. Did exactly what we are coming to expect, bent the line well.
9. Smith- attack wasn't the same with him off the field. Not much else to say
10. Norrie - Was actually reasonably happy with him today. He made some good runs and defended well. His performance today will almost certainly mean he will be starting, which I'm alright with
11. Proctor - Didn't notice him as much but every time he was tackled he fought hard to play the ball quickly as usual
12. Hoffman - looked better with the structure around him but I do remember him dropping one ball in contact. Think he did make a couple of good runs
13. Hinchcliffle - Can't say I saw him too much

14. Hunt? - I think he played the whole second half and can't remember him doing anything wrong. Played left centre with Young outside him then when Fonua replaced young Fonua went to the wing.
15. ?? - Played out on the right wing. Can't remember much of him but trys were scored down the right while he was on the field
16. Romelo - looks like an excited little terrier. Fairly good involvement in attack and defence, think he played halfback/five-eigth for the 3rd quarter while Roberts was off.
17. Griffin? - Nothing flashy but was solid. Didn't see enough to notice him
18. Garbutt - very good. Made some big runs and put on some big hits. Set up the try which got us back in the match
19. Maclean - As above he aimed up well against a big pack
20. Harris - Don't need to tell too much about him. Pretty solid as we would expect
21. Kaufusi? - Impressed with his running game. Has some nice footwork for a prop?
24. Bromwich - think he only got about 10 minuutes at the end but scored a try by supporting Garbutt

Very sorry about the length of this but tried to get as much detail as I could. Got a bit lazy towards the end haha but that's as good a review I can give from watching a live game
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

would 15 have been Kennar?
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yeah that would have been him
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

about the tries we let in. the first dogs try was well constructed by them, the rest were not that good. one was a kick to mitch brown who was about 3-4 meters off side. next was sisa rushing in off the wing and them scoring out wide, but i would think slater at full back would still have stopped it. the last try waqa tried a silly offload 20m out and the dogs pass wide and score.

forwards - our pack muscled up in the first 20! every time we run the ball we hit the line and made another 5-10 (even norrie made good meters) and in defense we hit them hard and took them to ground really quickly i thought, they didnt make any meters after the contact. i was impressed. garbutt needs to be in the 17, he was a beast. the bromwich brothers were both very strong and a handful for the defense.

backs - munster showed some good signs but every time he ran the ball mybe seemed to be there and hit him hard. young was good and should get a start round 1. roberts didn't do too much with the ball that i saw, he should be used as a centre. hunt was solid when he came on
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bulldogs highlights at link below only shows dogs tries.
http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news-display ... ghts/90932