Round 1 team

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hi Guys I think after watching the 9s there will be some good young players coming through the ranks for other teams but ours look a year or 2 behind those..good news is our future looks good as these players will only get better each year. I think our team will be much the same as last year

1. Slater
2. Duff
3. Chambers
4. O'niel
5. Waqa
6. Hampton/walker
7. Cronk
8. Norrie
9. Smith
10. Brom
11. Proc
12. Hoff
13. Hinch

14. Harris
15. Romelo/Griffin
16 Rose
17 Mclean

I think Romelo/Griffin will be a key inclusion becasue we will be moving smith in to 5/8 at some stage during the game and the bench hooker will take over (like when Friend was around)

This means Hampton is more likely to get the nod as he can play in the backline also.

thoughts?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

scriptyx wrote:Hi Guys I think after watching the 9s there will be some good young players coming through the ranks for other teams but ours look a year or 2 behind those..good news is our future looks good as these players will only get better each year. I think our team will be much the same as last year

1. Slater
2. Duff
3. Chambers
4. O'niel
5. Waqa
6. Hampton/walker
7. Cronk
8. Norrie
9. Smith
10. Brom
11. Proc
12. Hoff
13. Hinch

14. Harris
15. Romelo/Griffin
16 Rose
17 Mclean

I think Romelo/Griffin will be a key inclusion becasue we will be moving smith in to 5/8 at some stage during the game and the bench hooker will take over (like when Friend was around)

This means Hampton is more likely to get the nod as he can play in the backline also.

thoughts?
There a few key differences between the team I would like to see named and the one that I think actually will get named.

Whilst you may very well be right with the inclusion of Griffin on the bench, I hate the idea... Hinchcliffe needs to be benched and Tohu starting. Hinchcliffe fits that utility role perfectly in the context of our team. We do not need another "utility" with Hinchcliffe in the team and we look so much stronger with bigger guys on the bench.

With Hinchy, if Smith goes down, straight swap.
If our 5/8 or Half go down, Hinchy to 9, Smith to 5/8.
If a centre goes down, tohu to centre, Hinchy backrow.
If Slater goes down, O'Neill or Chambers to FB, Tohu to centre, Hinchy backrow.

As much as it pains me, it probably won't happen as Bellamy and Hinchcliffe will both feel like that is a backward step for Hinchcliffe. I don't see it that way though and I see the team benefiting as a result of Hinchy playing the role he is best suited to in our team.

I wouldn't move Cam out of hooker unless needed through injury and I'm still not convinced of O'Neill at centre.

Having said all that, I think the team you have named will be the team Bellamy names (Hampton at 6) with the exception of the Romelo/Griffin spot replaced by Garbutt/K Bromwich/Glasby.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hate to say it but the thought of O'Neill defending at centre scares me (visions of Ferguson carving him up)

I guess we really don't have a better option. I thought Mahe made good contact in his tackles but reading the defense I think he's suspect. Duffy is still too skinny.

Really don't want to see Waqa moved to the left again and weaken the right. Chambers and Waqa defensive combo is pretty solid.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea I don't see Smith going to 5/8th at all during games unless Hampton gets injured. I do think one thing though, it will be criminal not having J Brom, Garbutt and McLean in the front row rotation together.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Here is the team that'd I'd be naming. However, more than likely, Craig will remain slightly more loyal than me to the incumbents.

1. Billy Slater
2. Young Tonumaipea
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin O'Neill
5. Sisa Waqa
6. Ben Hampton
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Mitchell Garbutt
9. Cameron Smith
10. Jesse Bromwich
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Tohu Harris

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Jordan McLean
16. George Rose
17. Junior Moors
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What I dont want to see is Fonua at center and Norrie and Hinchliffe in the same 17. You need a big, mobile pack to compete with the other top teams this year.

What I do want to see is a pack and bench looking like

Garbutt
Smith
Bromwich
Hoffman
Proctor
Harris

Rose
Mclean
K. Bromwich
Hinchcliffe/Moors
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I agree Michael. That is our best pack and bench.

my team

1 - Billy Slater
2 - Sisa Waqa
3 - Justin O'Neill
4 - Will Chambers
5 - Young Tonumaipea
6 - Ben Hampton
7 - Cooper Cronk
8 - Jessie Bromwich
9 - Cameron Smith
10 - Mitch Garbutt
11 - Kevin Proctor
12 - Ryan Hoffman
13 - Tohu Harris

Interchange

14 - Kenny Bromwich
15 - Jordan Mclean
16 - George Rose
17 - Junior Moors
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

My round 1 team if all is fit to play

1 slater
2 waqa
3 chambers
4 o neil
5 young ( but I thing fonua will be here)
6 Hampton will get first crack
7 cronk
8 Bromwich
9 smith
10 garbutt
11 proctor
12 Hoffman
13 Harris ( but I think hinchy will be here)

14 hinchy
15 rose
16 moors
17 McLean

I rekon we have some great depth this year and I can't wait to see the boys fight for their spots every week! #purplepride
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1. Billy Slater
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Will Chambers
4. Travis Robinson (Has everyone forgotten about him, surely we didn't sign him to play NSW Cup)
5. Justin O'Neill
6. Ben Hampton (Has to get first crack at five eighth)
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (C)
10. Jordan McLean
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Tohu Harris
15. Kenny Bromwich
16. Mitch Garbutt (Was great during the 9's and I hope he replaces Norrie this year, who I really can't fit in the best 17 anymore)
17. George Rose
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Robinson is coming off an injury so will play in the NSW Cup to start the season. Would think he'd need to carve up there before he's a chance of playing FG.

Hinchy, Cronk and Juz in doubt for round 1.
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

revised team in light of confirmed injuries

1. Slater/Munster
2. Mahe
3. Chambers
4. O'niel
5. Waqa
6. Hampton
7. Roberts
8. Norrie
9. Smith
10. Brom
11. Proc
12. Hoff
13. Hinch

14. Harris
15. Griffin
16 Rose
17 Mclean
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Please, not Roberts, we need a better plan B than that. Maybe my 6 year old cousin can run out there instead, he'll be more consistent
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Indeed. I'd like it to happen but I don't think Walker is the answer either(two young halves is a risk). Maybe Romelo would play in the halves with Smith filling in from time to time. Although having 2 guys that actually play in the halves might be the best way to go. So a young halves pairing should be given a chance.

Don't get the love for Griffin either, specially when we already have Hinchcliffe in the team.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What I would like to be named;

1. Slater
2. O'Neill (Young if not fit)
3. Fonua
4. Chambers
5. Waqa
6. Hampton
7. Cronk (Walker if Cronk not fit)
8. J Bromwich
9. Smith
10. McLean
11. Proctor
12. Hoffman
13. Harris

14. Hinchliffe (Moors if not fit)
15. Garbutt
16. Rose
17. K Bromwich

Moors hasn't really featured that much this year and is an unknown quantity at this stage. What's going on here??? If Moors is fit and firing I think he has a spot on the bench (likely at the expense of K Bromwich).

I'm not sold on Griffin or Romelo adding value to the team at this stage. Definitely not if Hinchcliffe is in the 17.

What I think will be named;

1. Slater
2. Fonua
3. O'Neill (Fonua if not fit and then Young to the wing)
4. Chambers
5. Waqa
6. Hampton
7. Cronk (Roberts if Cronk not fit)
8. J Bromwich
9. Smith
10. Norrie
11. Proctor
12. Hoffman
13. Hinchcliffe (Harris if not fit, bringing Griffin/Romelo onto the pine)

14. Harris
15. McLean
16. Rose
17. K Bromwich

As good as Garbutt has been in the trials and 9s, I doubt Bellamy will name 3 props on the bench. He may name Garbutt over McLean though.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

garbutt can play 2nd row too though can't he?