SOO

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storm77
Squall
Squall

So SOO is going to stay the same. lima lima lima duck ridiculous.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No it isn't. ...New South Wales will be wearing pink jerseys.

But what do you mean it stays "the same"? If you mean no game in Melbourne then nothing really changes as the ARL's agreement with events Victoria expired last year (I.e. one Origin in Melbourne every three years).

Next game at a neutral venue is next year and it's not guaranteed to be in Melbourne.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think storm77 means that the ridiculous timeframe the series is spread over remains.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nothing wrong with spreading it over time the way theu do IMO. Player burn out is already a big enough issue in the game.

They can't play games a fortnight apart like they used to in the old days. It takes elite players away from their clubs for too long and this is a sore point for many fans, administrators and media.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I still believe changes need to be made. SOO is a huge part of the season and we basically forget about the actual competition 16 clubs are fighting for when its going on.

That said, I don't think any radical changes will happen until the next tv deal.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree to a point but the fact of the matter is this; state of Origin rugby league is THE biggest sporting event in this country year after year. It beats the grand finals of both major codes (though the AFL spin machine will tell you different) in television viewing. The afl gf might beat the nrl gf for viewers but this year all three matches were the top 3 sports programs on tele. It is crucial to the code as it is the games that the non-rugby league fan will make an effort to watch.

We can't do much better than one game every 4 weeks but the nrl need to maybe do something with the 2nd tier salary cap to allow the fringe players some big time matches when the superstars are away on origin duty.
storm77
Squall
Squall

What about just taking a break at the midway point of the season and playing SOO over three straight weeks. It has been suggested before.
storm77
Squall
Squall

LESStar58 wrote:No it isn't. ...New South Wales will be wearing pink jerseys.

But what do you mean it stays "the same"? If you mean no game in Melbourne then nothing really changes as the ARL's agreement with events Victoria expired last year (I.e. one Origin in Melbourne every three years).

Next game at a neutral venue is next year and it's not guaranteed to be in Melbourne.
::)