Finals week one

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Utha
Squall
Squall

All set to be a Vermin-Poultry GF. Think that's already been decided by the Sydney-centric powers-that-be.

Seventh-tackle try ultimately cost NQ the game. Haven't seen that since Dogs v Sea E-Girls GF in '95.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://m.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-pr ... 6719157516

Neil Henry's press conference post Cowboys/Sharks game touches on the Sydney-centric nature of the NRL. I was actually discussing this very point over the last week with a number of Sydney media personalities stating that the game "needs" an all Sydney NRL final.

Henry hits the nail on the head. Multiple nails actually.

Once again though, nothing will happen. Our game is amateur.
Last edited by yourhero on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

waveydavey wrote:
Ice wrote:So to our stats gurus, how many top 4 teams have gone on to win the GF after losing week 1 of the finals, if any since there's been a top 8? Things have been made just that much tougher now. I remember what happened to us after our last week 1 loss.....
I believe the Storm did it in 1999.....
Correct. Went down to St George 34 - 10.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just my opinion...

I love Hinchcliffe. I really do. But his running game has had no impact since returning from injury and even before that it was average. He made a few line breaks but when we need the hard runs up the middle, his frame just doesn't carry the weight.

I really think he needs to be coming off the bench. He is an ideal bench forward. Last year coming off the bench, Hinchy's fresh legs regularly made an impact. He was able to hit the gap in behind the ruck and make decents runs. His defence would look strong as well. In the run on squad he just lacks that extra size needed to wear the brunt.

I know he is one of Bellamy's favourites and Bellamy probably feels obligated to have him start at lock through loyalty. In my opinion though, Hinchy best contributes to our team as an impact player from the bench.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:What has Widdop's kicking game have to do with anything ? And it isn't like Finch has kicked well when he's played either.

Odd.

Refs have dudded the Cows in this arvo's game. So two non Sydney teams dudded. Hmmmm.
That 7th tackle try is beyond incompetence. Perenara and Ceccin should both be dropped from the finals and fined. What a horrible, horrible look for the code!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

LESStar58 wrote:
blazza18 wrote:What has Widdop's kicking game have to do with anything ? And it isn't like Finch has kicked well when he's played either.

Odd.

Refs have dudded the Cows in this arvo's game. So two non Sydney teams dudded. Hmmmm.
That 7th tackle try is beyond incompetence. Perenara and Ceccin should both be dropped from the finals and fined. What a horrible, horrible look for the code!
I didn't watch the game, was it questioned on field by JT or anyone else immediately after the try was scored? If so, then surely the video ref could've reviewed the footage then and there.
storm77
Squall
Squall

As bad as the 7 tackle try was, it is still no where near as bad as what happened to us. NQ came back to take the lead and then played a lot of dumb football. We were never given a chance as we actually should have been leading at one point but had two obvious tries taken from us.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

A mistake of calling 4th on the 5th can happen. Shouldn't, but can happen. The try was scored by skill. It could have just as easily have ended in any other result, including an intercept try to the Cowboys.
Blatant shit calls, two of which denied us points, are a hell of a lot worse!!!
And yet we're not hearing shit about that!!!
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

With all of our talk of shit refereeing from the Soufs match have any of the Sydney media made anything of it? DO THE SYDNEY MEDIA EVER MAKE ANYTHING OF SHIT REFEREEING AGAINST THE MELBOURNE STORM?

How can our player get carried into touch and it's not a penalty (was a considerable distance and Waga had come in to help stop it), refs are supposed to call held and were surprisingly mute.

Was it Luke Burgess who crawled forward underneath Ryles and milked (and received) the penalty, Warren Ryan said he should have been penalised for moving off the mark. Also on Ryles, how is it he always gets rolled over onto his back in the tackle? (Whatever happened to penalising people for working over in the tackle?)

Voluntary tackle, when was the last time this was penalised? Wish our blokes would stand off the volunteering player and wait for him to stand up or force the ref to penalise.

Yes, Waga in all likelihood did ground the ball but nobody (including Shayme) could see it therefore how can Shayme pollute the video refs decision? (Regardless, if you can't see the ball touch the ground you can't award).

Will Chambers I thought was outstanding for us on Friday, terrible decision against him when Slater scored his second, again the ABC commentators couldn't believe it. (Horrible memories of the 2006 GF)

I believe it's about time the Melbourne Coach / Captain got on the front foot and started to make a lot of noise about being dudded by the Refs and thereby helping to influence decisions in our favour in future matches, Sydney sides are particularly good at this little tactic.

One out running forwards, our biggest problem, too easy for defenders to get numbers in and tackle

When we're running structured plays attacking the goal line can we please have two hard running forwards who genuinely expect to get the ball and give it to one of them, at least once, rather than going out the back. I'm sure opposition teams know that we never play the front man.

At the risk of a furious debate, who comes in for Waga this week (or will Waga make a Lazarus like recovery)? Was it about this time last year Mahe successfully came into the team?

Last thing, agreed fully with a previous poster. What does Ryan Hinchcliff offer us? The ability to have a utility / back up player? (Dummy half maybe?) Get Tofu or somebody else in there.

Dummy spit over. Thoughts anyone?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nor ... 6719542671

Thurston has echoed the sentiments of Neil Henry regarding the Sydney-centric NRL.

Very valid points, points that will no doubt fall on deaf ears over at NRL Headquarters. Yes, Cecchin and Perenara will most likely be stood down until next year but were most likely going to anyway seeing as their is only two games next week. The NQ debacle will however overshadow the limp-wristed, inept performances of Shayne "I'm a f*cking moron" Hayne and Brett Suttor, who have no place in refereeing first grade.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

People blowing up everywhere over what he's said. I love it.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lol effing brilliant JT. I've always been a fan of his and the way he plays the game and now I'm even more so.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I can`t believe an extra couple of tackles can overshadow the disgusting inept display of reffing that was dished up against Storm.As well as perenara & cecchin sitting out I think shame hayne and unsuttorable should be sat down for the remainder of the finals series. Next week the refs will do a good job as the nrl have got their 2 fave teams where they want them to be BUT the inept reffing will return for the Prelims.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The only thing the media care about is Souths being 1 game away from a GF. They don't care how it happened because we're Melbourne.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Interesting quote in the Roy Masters piece in the fairfax Media "The last eight times Hayne has refereed Souths, the Rabbitohs won the penalty count seven times (59-38)."

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-league/ ... z2f0P4G7V5