Auckland Nines 2014

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Michael :P wrote:
Haha, serious!! its a half-pie game of touch football that will show case how brilliant our athletes are.
:evil:
It's a half baked concept designed to make money for someone ?
That will do very little to 'showcase' much at all ::)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:
yourhero wrote:Mate, anything can happen, that's the worry.

Someone can do an ACL without even any contact. Sure it can happen at any time throughout the season, but you can at least wear it in a regular season game. If it happens in a pre season sideshow and it derails your NRL season, it would be a bitter pill to swallow.
Slade Griffin done his acl in a meaningless game vs Easts Tigers a couple of years but don't hear nobody gnashing there teeth over those trials.
A fringe first grader is not the same as the team superstar.
In your first post you said any storm player now your narrowing it down to just the superstars.

Anyway the 3 stars that matter probably won't play so whats the issue.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bourbon Rat wrote:
Haha, serious!! its a half-pie game of touch football that will show case how brilliant our athletes are.
:evil:
It's a half baked concept designed to make money for someone ?
That will do very little to 'showcase' much at all ::)
Well I'd hope it make 1/2 a million for us (4x minor premiership) and inspire millions of kids with the skills shown. But if the majority on here are happy to play a meaningless trial in Brisbane against a park football team I'll drop off
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm with you on this Michael...the only player from the 'big three' that this game would really suit is Billy. Having said that , it's a game made in heaven for the likes of Juzza, Ben, Mahe, Sisa & others that have speed and skills - a few savvy tacticians with the same attributes and you have a really competitive team. Defense in 9's, like sevens, is last-ditch efforts...the game is all about attack first and tactics to optimize your attack imo - defense only when you are defending your lead - something our guys can do. Long season though & always the risk of injury. Showcasing it might be but it's also bringing league to an audience that may not have otherwise considered it, particularly amongst diehard rugby fans...that has to be a positive?
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

:love4: :love4: Chip, 4Evah
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

even people here in sadelaide know how great Cammy,Billy & Coops are so they don`t need to play in an nrl money making scheme.I agree that the game would suit Juzzy,Sisa.Duffy and Chambers.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Michael :P wrote:In your first post you said any storm player now your narrowing it down to just the superstars.
I was referring to the "derailed season", which an injury to Slade would not induce. Anyway, not the point. We obviously just disagree on this one.
Michael :P wrote:Anyway the 3 stars that matter probably won't play so whats the issue.
Sorry champ, disagree here as well. We've got more than 3 stars that "matter".

An injury to Chambers, J Bromwich or Hoffy have the potential to be crippling also.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:
Michael :P wrote:In your first post you said any storm player now your narrowing it down to just the superstars.
I was referring to the "derailed season", which an injury to Slade would not induce. Anyway, not the point. We obviously just disagree on this one.
Were you? You didnt state anything close to that so forgive me for overlooking it
Michael :P wrote:Anyway the 3 stars that matter probably won't play so whats the issue.
Sorry champ, disagree here as well. We've got more than 3 stars that "matter".

An injury to Chambers, J Bromwich or Hoffy have the potential to be crippling also.
Mate Slater, Cronk and Smith are our constants, we've won with them and without the others, your trying to outsmart yourself now. Chambers we'd stuggle to replace but Bellamys system has NEVER relied on dominate forwards, just their ability to contain the roll-on.

Dont know how long youve been following league but major injuries rarely happen in formats like 7's or 9's so chillax.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just play your 8 lowest paid plus one of your top 5. Helps pump up their wage without adverse effect on salary cap, and gives them some experience playing on a bigger stage.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I dont think anyone much really enjoys trials but they're a necessary evil to work on combinations and to see where players are at, mainly the younger ones. Not to mention get some match fitness in a game like simulation in readiness for the season proper. This comp won't help with those things, especially the first two given itll be like the 20/20 of RL where technique goes out the window.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

my problem is not with the concept, but with the rules forcing certain players to turn out
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I see no problem making a rule to have at least one top star on show....like it or not, this is happening, and if I was putting money up for a comp, that everyone (or at least the majority) are in favour of - well, I'd want some 'names' on show too.

I'm sure someone (eels? dragons?) will play full strength and to win - I've no drama with us being not bothered by winning/losing, personally i'd like to see guys like hampton play, and younger guys we don't get to see much of but are pushing for a first grade spot - who knows, they may kill it and force themselves into first grade - we all know our backline could use a shake up like that!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

there are better ways to do it, incentives etc. rules forcing clubs to play someone even more are a dangerous precedent
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I understand the negatives and objections to the Auckland Nines concept - but I'm looking forward to it. Bring it on.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Incentives? Like prize money?