Widdop signs with Dragons.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

A couple of years ago we gave a young guy a chance in the position and he turned into a premiership winning player. I'd like to see that happen again, rather than pick somebody up from outside the club.

Disappointed (and a little surprised, too) to see him go but good luck to him. The Dragons have basically traded up with Gareth.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is he going to be 5/8 or fullback - dragons need both imo?

As for his replacement, Hampton or McGahan long term hopefully, I'm a big wrap for both of them after what I've seen them do over the years in nyc and Hampton seems to be doing reasonably well in NSW Cup. Would like to see McGahan play in a senior league at some point this year too with an eye to the future.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

While i think Hodkinson would go well under Bellyache and besides Coops i'd much rather look to within the club and give one of the young blokes a start and use the money saved on Widdop to strengthen elsewhere. If McGahan/Hampton are capable of filling the breach as we all think is possible, it could really turn out to be a blessing in disguise having the money we'd have been paying Widdop to distribute elsewhere.
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

absentee wrote:A couple of years ago we gave a young guy a chance in the position and he turned into a premiership winning player. I'd like to see that happen again, rather than pick somebody up from outside the club.

Disappointed (and a little surprised, too) to see him go but good luck to him. The Dragons have basically traded up with Gareth.
+1
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

absentee wrote:The Dragons have basically traded up with Gareth.
I'm not certain about that.
I reckon Soward would excell at Storm playing alongside Coops, and Gareth will be found out as a work in progress without Coops
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Go Storm wrote:
I reckon Soward would excell at Storm playing alongside Coops, and Gareth will be found out as a work in progress without Coops
Personally I'm glad we won't see the Soward situation because he is an absolute princess.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Personally I'm glad we won't see the Soward situation because he is an absolute princess.
More of a ballerina with that little twirl he does before kicking at goal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Turtle188 wrote:
Go Storm wrote:
Please don't take me out of context here. I cannot stand that little prick and would never accept him at Storm.

The point I was trying to make is that Soward is a better fit at Dragons than Widdop will be. They need a new coach and halfback, not a name swap at 6.
And that anyone would look good alongside Coops and the boys. Even Rory Kostjasyn held his own when thrown in last year, and Smith. GI did well with Coops too.
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I hope Gareth does a 'Zapper' :)
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:
WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT!

What's the difference between Ron Jeremy and Jamie Soward? Ron Jeremy doesn't need Wayne Bennett to perform.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Mattpoet wrote:Is he going to be 5/8 or fullback - dragons need both imo?
Let's see if St Merge are still waving a carrot under the nose of Rangi Chase ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hey LESStar58, you took me out of context better than the MSM could've.

My point is that Coops could make anyone look good.
But enough about that. I don't want to start sounding negative towards Widdop. I've loved him since he first took the field against the Bulldogs during origin and tore them a new arsehole at fullback. I hope he finishes his time with us with another premiership
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Ice wrote:While i think Hodkinson would go well under Bellyache and besides Coops i'd much rather look to within the club and give one of the young blokes a start and use the money saved on Widdop to strengthen elsewhere. If McGahan/Hampton are capable of filling the breach as we all think is possible, it could really turn out to be a blessing in disguise having the money we'd have been paying Widdop to distribute elsewhere.

This.

I've said before on here, and I don't know how long his current contract is but Jessie Bromwich is a must to sign. Also if we can throw a bit more at Proctor and Chambers, and also give the likes of Waqa, Vave, Harris a little extra that 500K a year we are not paying for Gareth could go a long way!!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

coupy73 wrote:
Ice wrote:While i think Hodkinson would go well under Bellyache and besides Coops i'd much rather look to within the club and give one of the young blokes a start and use the money saved on Widdop to strengthen elsewhere. If McGahan/Hampton are capable of filling the breach as we all think is possible, it could really turn out to be a blessing in disguise having the money we'd have been paying Widdop to distribute elsewhere.

This.

I've said before on here, and I don't know how long his current contract is but Jessie Bromwich is a must to sign. Also if we can throw a bit more at Proctor and Chambers, and also give the likes of Waqa, Vave, Harris a little extra that 500K a year we are not paying for Gareth could go a long way!!
This .we need to keep these boys as they are our future.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

According to Zero Tackle:

J.Bromwich - 2015
Harris, Proctor, Chambers - 2014
Vave, Waqa - 2013