2013 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't think we have anything to worry bout with Gaz stay or going...looks like his pretty much made up his mind

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... lifax.html

Published: 20th February 2013

GARETH Widdop does not regard himself as a superstar - the gaze on the faces of the children that idolised him said different.
The Melbourne Storm ace went back to where it all began as a four-year-old at the King Cross Park club in Halifax.

It could be easy for him to forget his roots as he establishes himself as one of the kingpins of the NRL champions, some 14,000 miles away.

But he still possesses his King Cross shirt in their old red-and-black colours before moving to Australia with his parents and refers to the club as ’we’.

And with SunSport in tow, he passed some tip to the Under 7s, Under 8s and Under 9s that looked at him in wonder before being handed his new colours by chairman Andy Binns.

“I was one of those kids once,” remembered Widdop, whose signed pictures adorn the walls of the small social club, along with a King Cross shirt signed by the 2010 Storm World Club Challenge squad.

“So it’s weird to see pictures of me on the wall. I have to pinch myself sometimes, thinking, ’Am I really doing this?’

“I remember being one of those kids running around in the freezing cold weather with my trackies on!

“And when I was a kid I used to love it when people who had made it to Super League came to see us.

“There was a lad called James Agers who played for King Cross and was at Leeds. I always wanted to be like him because he semi made it.

“But that reception was crackers. It always good to get back and there’s some people I hadn’t seen for a number of years.

“I try and keep in touch with as many people as possible. It’s hard with me being on the other side of the world but every time I’m back, I go out of my way to see these people.

“And part of my house in Melbourne will be forever Yorkshire. I’ll never forget where home is. Halifax is my home, no matter how long I’m in Melbourne.”

Widdop, 23, was a non-playing member of the last Storm squad to play in the World Club Challenge - this time it is for real.

Having grown up at various places around Halifax and supported Bradford Bulls until he left the country at 16 years old, there is extra motivation against Leeds.

Widdop, who spent four years in Halifax’s scholarship, also admits one of his opponents tomorrow, Jamie Peacock, left him down in the dumps when he switched from the Bulls to the Rhinos.

He added: “It was gutting as a Bradford fan when he moved to Leeds but there was nothing we could do.

“The Bradford side I watched had Jamie, Lesley Vainikolo and Shontayne Hape in, all the greats.

“But Robbie Paul was my idol when I watched Bradford and being a fan as a kid, it always encouraged me to get one over Leeds.”

Do not expect Widdop to feature in Super League in the near future. However, it is on the agenda along with fulfilling a boyhood dream, which was partly realised with Tuesday’s opposed training session against Halifax at The Shay.

“Maybe one day it will happen,” the stand-off said. “But I’m more than happy at Melbourne and I have a young family. I’ll be there for the next few years.

“I dreamed of playing for my local town and hopefully one day I’ll come back and have a trot around.

“Being on the scholarship at Halifax helped me get to where I am today and I’m thankful for that.

“It’s been a real privilege to be back. Hopefully all my friends and family can support Melbourne as I doubt we’ll get that many supporters.”

Widdop’s best friend, Tom Conway, has been acting as chauffeur for him this week and he revealed the secret behind why his accent has hardly changed seven years after leaving.

“We speak every day,” he said. “And as soon as he lands back home, any accent has gone.

“But we were a bit feisty at first. We had a bit of a set-to at school, then we realised neither of us were going to win.

“So after six months, we stopped and have been close ever since.”

Widdop’s hopes that Halifax is cheering on the Storm may not be realised however, as one person told him as he left King Cross Park.

He said: “I’ll be a typical Yorkshireman. I hope you lose but as long as you play well I’ll be happy!”
storm77
Squall
Squall

But I’m more than happy at Melbourne and I have a young family. I’ll be there for the next few years.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 2f95l.html

This is exactly the reason why Storm picked up Junior Sau.

If he stays fit...Sau will be invaluable with his experience, strength and point scoring ability in the early part of the season along with Jussy, Will, Fonua and maybe Gareth in the backline (especially if Finchy plays 5/8)
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/s ... 6609533640

Noooo Gareth to the broncos is badddd bad bad
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/s ... 6609533640

Noooo Gareth to the broncos is badddd bad bad

Bucking Bronco ;)
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Rumour on Twitter Stuart Mill from the sharks could come to the Storm for the rest of the year b4 moving on
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Haha he wouldn't have to go anywhere really. Would probably play nsw cup the whole time.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:Rumour on Twitter Stuart Mill from the sharks could come to the Storm for the rest of the year b4 moving on
Why ?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote:
sallymay wrote:Rumour on Twitter Stuart Mill from the sharks could come to the Storm for the rest of the year b4 moving on
Why ?
I would think it would be to provide experienced cover for injuries in the back line with Juzzy, Duffie, Young T and Richie Kennar currently being out and Sisa just returning. Apart from Blair, who is experienced about the only other outside backs in our squad are Solomona and Mann. Not sure if they are ready for first grade yet.

It would be a bit like the Fa'aoso recruitment last year. A lot of people said why did we do that. It was a similar thing Greenfield unfortunately suffered the neck injury and Vave was injured and we needed back up in that area. He only played 6 games for us but he is now a Storm premiership player.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am not sure how we could pick up both Mills and Picker.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Wih the increase in the salary cap and the club's strategy to leave room in the cap for mid season buys (e.g. Clint Newton, Brett Finch and Richard Fao'oso), it's very likely that we could fit one if not both of them in.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote:
Storm Spirit wrote:
Why ?
I would think it would be to provide experienced cover for injuries in the back line with Juzzy, Duffie, Young T and Richie Kennar currently being out and Sisa just returning. Apart from Blair, who is experienced about the only other outside backs in our squad are Solomona and Mann. Not sure if they are ready for first grade yet.

It would be a bit like the Fa'aoso recruitment last year. A lot of people said why did we do that. It was a similar thing Greenfield unfortunately suffered the neck injury and Vave was injured and we needed back up in that area. He only played 6 games for us but he is now a Storm premiership player.
Fair enough....just thought that we might need bolstering in the big man dept rather than outside backs...but we do have Garbutt, Glasby and Moors in the NSW cup atm.

Good call...
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

and mclean is due back from injury soon too to add some extra depth
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm on twitter announcing a signing at 1pm
Fizer
Thunderstorm