Round 5 Storm v Wests Tigers Mon 8 April at AAMI at 7pm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Wasn't the prettiest performance but we held tough through some trying times and capitalized when we sensed the Tigers were becoming weary. Sisa Waqa was a standout today and was probably a little unlucky not to be awarded man of the match.

Next weeks game against Souths, the only other unbeaten team will be a blinder. We'll need to be a lot better and I'm sure we will be.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We looked flat - the combinations didn't work, we didn't get the space to play our usual game, but we stil won. Their tries didnt come from bad defense, the first came from a fast move and luck kick and the second was really unlucky the way it bounced out of his hands, but the defense was great. Tigers did well, slowed out game but i don't think that was the problem, it was our plays were confused in the first half, poor support running, and a fantastic defending from the Tigers. We still won, we stuck to our plays and didn't get rattled and try crazy plays to try to win it. They asked spome questions, the last time i felt like this was maybe Sharks and Cowboys 2 years ago consistently kicked the ball dead to stop billy's kick returns and defended right in our faces.
That being said I thought both Bromwich's had good games and across the park we maintained our structures, but I was not cnfident we would win until we got the second try, we just looked devoid of inspiration.

Bad week and win, good week we will flog the bunnies, bring them down to reality :lol: :lol: :lol:
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think people are being a little harsh, the tigers were great for 60 minutes. We made 5 line breaks to 0, we completed at over 80% and only missed 11 tackles (4 from Widdop cough cough). Tigers defence deserve a big wrap. I though Slater, Waqa, Norrie, Ryles and Harris were all good. Hoffman had a shocker. I'm really growing fond of the enigmatic FONUA, he makes some errors but boy he gives it a red hot crack, love his enthusiasm!
Monsoon
Monsoon

*6 missed tackles for Widdop, to go with his 2 runs for 13m, 0 tackle breaks, 0 line breaks, 0 try assists, 0 line break assists and 1 error. Am I seriously the only one who thinks Gaz is WAY off the pace this year?? I really think Finch or Hampton need to get given a shot.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote:I'm really growing fond of the enigmatic FONUA, he makes some errors but boy he gives it a red hot crack, love his enthusiasm!
100% agree. He's got an error two in him (mainly due to a loose carry) but he busts his ass in every run. Love the effort!

Made two good breaks tonight, just a shame one of them was called back to the 20m :lol:
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote:*6 missed tackles for Widdop, to go with his 2 runs for 13m, 0 tackle breaks, 0 line breaks, 0 try assists, 0 line break assists and 1 error. Am I seriously the only one who thinks Gaz is WAY off the pace this year?? I really think Finch or Hampton need to get given a shot.
I know some get shirty around here whenever you criticize anyone in a purple jersey but I agree. Gaz has been down on form and really needs to lift.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yep Gaz is off his game...but he was last year around this time and came good.

You need to remember that they're skills sessions have been kept to a minimum since start of season due to schedules etc. Big reason why we were a little more rusty in our attacking combos last night.

Widdop along with our backline attack will improve.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I still think Gaz is trying to do to much when he gets the ball. Maybe his contract is on his mind.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote:Wow what a game. Waqa surprised me, slotted straight back in scored a good try.
Kenny Bromwich I never saw much of in NYC but he looked great in his limited time and was awesome seeing a pair of Brothers out there. Don't know if we've had that before??
Having Sisa back was sensational. I agree Widdop and Hoffy had bad nights. Hoffy is allowed one every now and again and Gaz is a bit out of form. I didn't think Junior Sa'u did much. Jason Ryles made some good runs and Jesse played well after half time.

Last night was the first time two brothers have played in the same first grade team for the Storm. We have had three other sets of brothers represent the Storm: Ben and Matt Cross, Ben and Luke MacDougall and Glen and Marty Turner. The Crosses and MacDougalls were at the club at different times. GT and Marty were at the club at the same time but the 3 games Marty played were while GT was out injured.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Great result considering the pressure we were under for the first hour of the game. The Tigers' came into the game knowing exactly what they wanted to do and that was to just slow the play the ball down defending inside their own 20m. Our attack was too predictable in the first half, the only way we could get across the line was with Vave crashing over just before half time. We only woke up and started to play well after an hour and really only because the Tiger's forwards were exhausted after all the defending they did in the first half.

Judged on the second half alone, Waqa would have been man of the match (probably didn't get it as he was well contained in the first half). Junior Sau was quiet compared to the last couple of weeks. Billy was great in the second half. Agree with the comments on Hoffman (although Hoffy is known to have a shocker very occasionally). Widdop does need to work on his defence, although he can pull off a good tackle when he is focused and is not trying to compete with Cronk for the dominant role in the halves. Also, why did Hinchy only play 38 mins??

The Storm will have to really make an effort next weekend against Souths to have any chance of winning. Even though we have an excellent record against them (17 wins-3 losses - also note that they are a completely different side now to when they were a poor team 5-10 years ago), we have to make sure we don't do what we did in the first half against the Tigers otherwise we will not have a chance at defeating them.
Run Sika Run
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

1999 wrote:*6 missed tackles for Widdop, to go with his 2 runs for 13m, 0 tackle breaks, 0 line breaks, 0 try assists, 0 line break assists and 1 error. Am I seriously the only one who thinks Gaz is WAY off the pace this year?? I really think Finch or Hampton need to get given a shot.
RUBBISH
Monsoon
Monsoon

Run Sika Run wrote:
RUBBISH
Care to elaborate? How dare I be critical of any player in purple. Fact is he has been well below his best and it seems you're in the minority.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote:Care to elaborate? How dare I be critical of any player in purple. Fact is he has been well below his best and it seems you're in the minority.
I know right ?

I'm sure he'll be fine though. You don't just drop a key member of the team like that. Specially a spine player. Gaz just needs to be patient and let the game come to him.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

The joint venture played well last night even though they were grubs, but opposition teams need to try something different to beat us down here so I don't blame them for it. I do laugh at the fact they were whining about the penalty count. When you try to slow the play-the-ball for 80 minutes, you will give away penalties. that is fact.
Awesome game from Norrie last night. Made 154 metres. That is colossal.
Waqa was inspriring.
Mahe continues to improve with every outing.
Procter made a lot of hit ups.
good signs when the big three weren't completely on their game.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone else see Cam crack the shits when he got dragged with just under 5 mins to go? :lol: Love the passion.