Round 4 - Brisbane vs Melbourne Fri 29/03 7:05pm at Suncorp

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

KingHoweofIsrael wrote:Called it a couple of weeks back...the right side has been woeful - the surprising part was that it took an opposition team this long to keep attacking down there. And everyone was worried about mahe and sau!

Regardless, 2 more points..the title defence rolls on - and how good was that cronk chip to slater, and that cronk bomb to slater, and that smith grubber to slater...and best of all that lengthy scrum hold on thaiday for slater! Some absolute brilliance in that game - it was a joy to watch - no other team can come close to the stuff these guys do!
King Howe I was laughing to myself about all the criticism Mahe and Junior's defence had received last week and it was Will and Duffie who were put to the sword by the Broncos. Admittedly that could have also had something to do with the players on either side for the Broncos Reed and Hoffman as opposed to Kahu and Maranta.

In an article in the Herald Sun during the week Sisa Waqa is set to return in NSW Cup earlier than expected. I wonder if that might be as early as today. It took people a while to got on board SWAS last season but maybe people don't know what Sisa provides until he isn't there. In the same article they said Justin O'Neill was still on liquids and had lost 4 kilograms.

Cronk's kicking game is sublime.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I hate to criticize players too much but Duffie was terrible last night. He's a great finisher, but 90% of his try's could've been scored by 90% of the great wingers. But his defence is woeful.
He attributed to at least two of their tries by not holding his wing and then jamming up too early and creating an overlap for the Broncos to utilize.
Because he does it so often I wonder whether it is a defensive strategy or whether its just a bad habit he's adopted all by himself.
Either way, if it continues the Rabbitohs will carve us up in Round 6. The refs will probably be even more critical of us in that game with an all-Sydney bandwagon crowd.
That gets me to referees. The last two games they have tried their guts out to keep the opposition in the game. The held up try, although I agree was held up, could've gone 50/50. But I can guarantee you it would've been red lights if it was ours. Why does every single one of our tries get referred upstairs? It's becomming more than obvious that's it's a last-ditch measure to find a reason to not award us a try.
Since when is a player allowed to grab the shirt of a referee and man-handle him like Thaiday did? I wonder if any more will be said of that? I'm sure if Norrie or someone did that he'd be either sent off or placed on report.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

People criticising Duffie for his defence last night are way too harsh. Whilst 4 of Brisbane's were scored down his edge, it was not Duffie that allowed this too happen

He stuck to our defensve gameplan and only had to jam in on numerous occasions because Chambers made terrible reads and allowed himself to be dragged in field leaving Duffie isolated on the wing, therefore creating the overlaps that led to the tries. If anyone is to spend time in NSW Cup it's Chambers after last night's effort, not Duffie.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Matt Duffie

8 runs for 43 metres
2 errors
6 missed tackles
2 tackles

Granted he scored a couple of tries but to be fair I could have fallen over and scored them, he was woeful and I'm sure he would be the first to admit it.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think we were watching different games. Chambers was defending on the line, as in the heldup try. Meanwhile Duffie was two plays and 20m away because he'd come infield off his wing and then tried to jam up on the ball runner. Every time they went down that edge his wing was exposed.
Chambers should not be blamed for having to play his position and cover for MIA Duffy as well. Look at how many times Coops got involved to cover for him too.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Both players are to blame and both should be held accountable for it. But Duffie was caught out multiple times which lead to him even slipping over because he was out of position. And this isn't the first time he's had problems with reading defences.

Really concerned about our edge attack on boths sides atm ( and yes that sill includes Sa'u and Mahe. Hodges not playing last night was a godsend ) .

Very un Storm like.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fonua out, Waqa in.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Go Storm wrote:I think we were watching different games. Chambers was defending on the line, as in the heldup try. Meanwhile Duffie was two plays and 20m away because he'd come infield off his wing and then tried to jam up on the ball runner. Every time they went down that edge his wing was exposed.
Chambers should not be blamed for having to play his position and cover for MIA Duffy as well. Look at how many times Coops got involved to cover for him too.
If you watch that try again you will notice that Chambers creeps up and in, and as part of our defensive pattern Duffie follows him infield so as not to leave himself isolated on the wing. However Chambers decides to commit to the 11 for the Broncos who runs a lead and does not receive the ball, Brisbane capitalise on this and shift the ball wide, leaving Chambers sucked in and having to recover by sliding across, but by this time the overlap is created and they score. Hence why Chambers was able to make the tackle on Hoffman as he was late in getting across and that places him in a prime position to make a cover tackle.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well a wins a win, Brisbaine play realy well when the woke up, it fast and tuff harder I would say than the dogs, Without Justin in the centre we loose speed which is great for our cover defence and Wag is a better deffender than Duff at the moment. In saying that Duff will get better I think over time remember did not play alot last year and JS has just started with us the more they play the better they will get and then we should get the other boys back. Dont realy care if we have a loss to the rabbits round six if we win its a bonus. More interested in building to SOO time and we have blooded players ready to go which is a good plan for the end of the year.

So yes Duff was bad and so was a few others I think, dont kill me but I think Cam has been a bit of by his standards. But is a hard start to the year which they have handle better than any other team in the comp would of handle.

Well done storm.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought Smith was pretty good to be honest. I love it when he actually has a few runs out of dummy half and he got us on the front foot a number of times. He made 100m in runs which is rare for a hooker.

Add to that his excellent kick for Slater's 2nd try and his customary 40 tackles.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'd like to see Widdop practice his kicking game a bit more. Against the Dragons he tried to kick a cross-field kick to the in-goal and put it over the dead ball line.
Last night he kicked it straight to the fullback, who was able to run it out for a quick tap.
Is it through limited opportunity that his 5th tackle options are often so poor, or is it just that Coops is so good that it makes him look inferior in comparison?
Don't get me wrong. I think Widdop's playing quite well, and the back of last season he was outstanding. This is just one element of his game that needs improvement and will help make him a devastating strike weapon.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No, you are right it was a horrible kick and have the Broncos an easy out. Especially at a time when we really should have continued to mount pressure.

Widdop's kicking game has never been first class, his primary focus should always be his running game which is deadly. Especially when he gets early ball and wider than first receiver.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:I thought Smith was pretty good to be honest. I love it when he actually has a few runs out of dummy half and he got us on the front foot a number of times. He made 100m in runs which is rare for a hooker.

Add to that his excellent kick for Slater's 2nd try and his customary 40 tackles.
Yea exactly. When Cam is running out of dummy half you know he and the forwards are playing well. Only thing Of Smith I don't like atm is his goal kicking. It really isn't good enough and I'd love Widdop to take over.

On Widdop's 5th tackle options. He seems rushed more than anything. Looks like he wants to do something spectacular every time he gets the opportunity.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

waqa playing nsw cup today, just putting it out there...
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cammy`s kicking lets us down abit BUT the rest of his game is AWESOME.We can`t criticize our captain.