2012 NRL Grand Final: Melbourne Storm v Canterbury Bulldogs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

Whats everyone thoughts on the team we should field? Any bolters, any recalls? I've got a different take on what side we should use:

1. Billy SLATER
2. Mahe FONUA
3. Dane NEILSEN
4. Will CHAMBERS
5. Justin O'NEILL
6. Gareth WIDDOP
7. Cooper CRONK
8. Jesse BROMWICH
9. Cameron SMITH (c)
10. Bryan NORRIE
11. Kevin PROCTOR
12. Ryan HOFFMAN
13. Todd LOWRIE

14. Ryan HINCHCLIFFE
15. Sika MANU
16. Jaiman LOWE
17. Rory KOSTJASYN

18th Man: Richie FA'AOSO
19th Man: Sisa WAQA

Mahe gets the nod over Sisa simply because I don't think we should run the injury risk, if he goes down after 10 minutes our cohesion from the reshuffle is shot. Mahe was solid enough to me last week to suggest he can handle it. I also think Rory needs to play, the Bulldogs pack are a myth, they don't beat you with size, they beat you with offloads and footwork at the line, Rory is a great slide defender who can come on, make 30 tackles and miss none but most importantly he can recover quickly from a 2nd phase play by the dogs big men to still get across and shut it down. I feel it will be a tight game and if were clinging to a lead and need to hold our line Rory gets my vote over Richie. The Bulldogs are also susceptible to being worked over in the ruck, late in the game Rory's darts against tiring big men could prove a big difference.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No way would I name Kostjasyn in my team. Sorry but we have to match them for strength to strength. I'd even start Fa'aoso. Keep the team the same IMO. Mahe has been to good to leave out. But its hard to not have Sisa there. But if he is carrying any injury I think we should leave him out.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Waqa or Fonua dilemma that Craig faces will be a difficult one for him to decide on. Whoever he elects I'm sure won't disappoint him. We can't afford to play Kostjasyn considering he hasn't played much first-grade of late. Fa'aoso has added much needed impact off the bench in the selective games he's played for us since his arrival at the club, we'll need his short spurts of impact on the big day. They'll be invaluable.
Monsoon
Monsoon

They're bench consists of Graham, Payne, Finucane and Stagg, pretty much 4 back rowers. Teams thats try and monster them get found out on the edges, did you watch the Souths game? Once their big men tired the dogs ripped them to shreds out on the edges. I'll be happy either way i'm sure Richie will do a great job he has been fantastic this finals series, more a tactical ploy than anything.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Happy with that side with one change.

Kostjasyn out
Fa'aoso in

I feel for Waqa, he has been one of our best since recovering from the losing streak but the injury concern is too worrying. Mahe continues to grow. His runs coming out of our own end have been great. Strong and almost always lands on his chest so he is able to get a quick play the ball away. If fully fit, I would take Waqa.
jstephens
Squall
Squall

Just read an article on the herald sun website saying that Sisa is fine and ready to play if need-be on sunday. If he's fine I'd select him even if he missed the last game through injury. Mahe has been great and will be sad not to see him play but you can't give grand final positions to players out of pity.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Prelim on tv again so I must go and watch it for the 5th time.Still a beauty.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

attack inu and perrett or morris? its a horrible decision to be faced with! but i would attack inu based on his blunders he had with the warriors
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1999 wrote:Whats everyone thoughts on the team we should field? Any bolters, any recalls? I've got a different take on what side we should use:

1. Billy SLATER
2. Mahe FONUA
3. Dane NEILSEN
4. Will CHAMBERS
5. Justin O'NEILL
6. Gareth WIDDOP
7. Cooper CRONK
8. Jesse BROMWICH
9. Cameron SMITH (c)
10. Bryan NORRIE
11. Kevin PROCTOR
12. Ryan HOFFMAN
13. Todd LOWRIE

14. Ryan HINCHCLIFFE
15. Sika MANU
16. Jaiman LOWE
17. Rory KOSTJASYN

18th Man: Richie FA'AOSO
19th Man: Sisa WAQA

Mahe gets the nod over Sisa simply because I don't think we should run the injury risk, if he goes down after 10 minutes our cohesion from the reshuffle is shot. Mahe was solid enough to me last week to suggest he can handle it. I also think Rory needs to play, the Bulldogs pack are a myth, they don't beat you with size, they beat you with offloads and footwork at the line, Rory is a great slide defender who can come on, make 30 tackles and miss none but most importantly he can recover quickly from a 2nd phase play by the dogs big men to still get across and shut it down. I feel it will be a tight game and if were clinging to a lead and need to hold our line Rory gets my vote over Richie. The Bulldogs are also susceptible to being worked over in the ruck, late in the game Rory's darts against tiring big men could prove a big difference.
As much as Mahe was terrific in filling in for Sisa in the Prelim, it's a big risk to ask a raw 19 year old to play in a GF in only his fifth game. If Waqa isn't fit to play, Quinny could be an option (I know he wouldn't be a popular selection but he has played over 200 games and has big game experience - everyone forgets that he scored two tries in the '07 GF win and he was terrific during the '08 finals).

It would be painful to watch Mahe's confidence disintegrate if he makes a costly blunder or misses a crucial tackle. I still don't know why Bellyache persisted in not playing him earlier in the year and all of a sudden he is now possibly about to line up in the biggest game of the year. I can see the Bulldogs players targeting him with high kicks all game and if he cracks under huge pressure, it could cost the Storm the game.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can we not mention Quinn on the wing ever please :P. Talk about a winger that would get picked on all game. Inu is on that side of the field. I trust Mahe tonnes. Looks sound under the high ball. Best dummy half runner we've had in some time. Kid is a star. Let him shine. But lol in saying that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Craig name Sisa.

Nacho. I think we target Inu. He has to cost the dogs at some stage doesn't he ? Hahahahahaha
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

There's no way Rory gets selected - Fa'aoso more than earnt his place in the last 2 games. That choice is clearcut.

The big dilema is Mahe or Sisa? Knees are difficult and there must be some doubt on whether or not Sisa is 100 percent. I think Mahe may have it, he brings an x factor and size and mentally he's shown reslience after his nightmare start to firstgrade.

Eitherway - I'm comfortable that both will handle it.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

fa'aoso stays, he had some really strong runs against manly, if he keeps his game plan simple he is great, straight and hard and nothing flashy in defence.

i think they should attack jackson and inu. big weakness could happen then. but on the other side if you target pritchard and morris you tire them out more so their attack isnt as strong. either way KP sika and hoffy are our key players this week.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'd be picking Sisa ahead of Mahe.
I think this game will go down to the wire and could be decided by a field goal late in the game or maybe even golden point.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Referees: Tony Archer and Ben Cummins

Touch Judges: Paul Holland and Russell Turner

Video Referees: Chris Ward and Shayne Hayne

Standby Referee: Matt Cecchin