Cooper Cronk is open to offers after putting Storm on hold

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby ... 6255593273

Rebels rule out cronk
^ free publicity for them
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Raa raa has had its time. The 2003 RWC was allegedly going to give the ARU enough money to wipe out rugby league. Almost ten years later and its still light years behind league, pretty much the way its been since 1895. Its a game that isn't even worthy of an FTA TV deal for the top provincial competition and a game where a bloke who can't hold a spot in NSW Cup for the Bulldogs ends up as a Wallaby captain!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Isn't he contracted until the end of 2013? If he got 2 more years then i'm not really that fussed. Of course i'd rather not lose him but if he moves on there'll be plenty of time for the great man to groom our next superstar. The sooner this gets sorted out either way the better it'll be for everyone so lets hope it doesn't drag on for most of the season.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

My understanding is he has a get out clause for the last year of his contract (2013). I also thought he could not use his get out clause to go and play with another NRL club only to play overseas. But I could be wrong I am only going on my memory.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Release Quinn and give his salary to Cronk. That's an extra,what, 350k?

storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

^ no i think its more 250k maybe 275K^

but you still need to upgrade people like O'Neil, bromwhich, manu, norrie and co when they come off contract, do you want to lose 4 or 5 guys to keep one?

it comes down to no one knows how much the cap is going to increase by, so really no $$ should be discussed until then
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

storming wrote:^ no i think its more 250k maybe 275K^

but you still need to upgrade people like O'Neil, bromwhich, manu, norrie and co when they come off contract, do you want to lose 4 or 5 guys to keep one?
Agree with this, why would the Storm want to sacrifice players such as the quality former under 20s players from the last few years, and possibly replace them with cheap rejects and has-beens from other clubs who are not up to first grade standards.

Just imagine, the Storm shaft players such as Duffie, O'Neill, Bromwich, Widdop & Proctor just to keep Cronk and his massive salary demands (he will be 30 in December 2013 aswell so he isn't getting any younger either). What a waste of talented young players that would be.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The alternative would be to "upgrade" Gareth Widdop to "big 3" status and build the attack around him. I've always said he'll be the next Darren Lockyer...

mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

LESStar58 wrote:The alternative would be to "upgrade" Gareth Widdop to "big 3" status and build the attack around him. I've always said he'll be the next Darren Lockyer...
Good point, it's mainly the kicking game though Widdop needs work on. In the club's history, the Storm have only really had to base their kicking game on the 3 halfbacks (Kimmorley, Orford and Cronk) and to a lesser extent Richard Swain and Cam Smith kicking out of dummy half since 1998. The main five-eighths the club has had (Scott Hill, Tasesa Lavea, Matt Geyer, Greg Inglis, Brett Finch and now Gareth Widdop) have really had no kicking game whatsoever because it has been dominated by the halfbacks. It would be good to change this for the first time in the club's history and have Widdop share the kicking with Cronk this year so that if Cronk leaves, it will take the pressure off the new halfback in 2013. It would also take the workload off Cronk this season.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

well apparently the newest romour is Cooper Re signed with the storm yesterday for 3 yrs and will be announced sometime in the near future

This has come from a guy i know who last told me billy had re signed 3 days b4 it was announced so who knows it might be true...it might also be one big joke...just have to wait and see

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree re: GWs kicking game. I get pretty tense when he gets the ball on tackle 5 and opts for the bomb cos it just proves too damn ineffective. On the other hand he'll have an all around blinder like he did against the Chooks at AAMI.

Also, he needs to work better with the outside backs on his side of the field! I lost count of the number of times he'd make a break and either opt for the infield kick when the left hand winger was probably the best option.

storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:well apparently the newest romour is Cooper Re signed with the storm yesterday for 3 yrs and will be announced sometime in the near future

This has come from a guy i know who last told me billy had re signed 3 days b4 it was announced so who knows it might be true...it might also be one big joke...just have to wait and see

that would be great news! just hope its not taking up too much of the cap
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

sallymay wrote:well apparently the newest romour is Cooper Re signed with the storm yesterday for 3 yrs and will be announced sometime in the near future

If true... that is MASSIVE news!!!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Look for an announcement on Sunday at the Storm Family Day.