David Gallop - Disgusting

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Thor19
Squall
Squall

Tony Jones had an interesting response to this on WWOS this morning - said he was sick to the stomach when the punishment was handed down and said Storm Fans were entitled to boo. He also said that Gallop should have smiled and moved on. Coupled with the Gould article it shows that Gallop is very sensitive. Should be more like Ken Arthurson - at least when he is booed he is is being noticed. Imagine how Gallop would react of we turned our backs and did nothing?

Plus loved Gus's article hit the mark... esp the bit about the dealings with the NRL!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

and then there were 2...

come on journos, join the revolution!!!!!!!!!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

http://www.smh.com.au/polls/rugby-leagu ... .html#poll

Should Gallop resign as NRL CEO?

The ayes have it at 56% at present.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

haha!!! I just watched the League Lounge and I'm on the promo booing and shaking my first in the air with my *lima lima lima duck* GALLOP shirt on, with Gallop in the foreground.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

No such thing as a sorry strangler
Adrian Proszenko
September 18, 2011

Name game ... The Melbourne rugby league club, concerned the name The Storm will forever be linked with salary cap cheating, decide to change their name. Help them pick a new name for the club. The one word we haven't heard from anybody from the Melbourne Storm is ''sorry''. Well, at least not a proper one.

Granted, there has been the odd grudging apology. Like the one given to judiciary members Greg Woods, Royce Ayliffe and Darrell Williams for the rant preceding the 2008 grand final. However, given that it was delivered more than two years after the event, at a cost of $105,000 in damages - and reportedly as much in legal fees following defamation proceedings - it's little wonder the level of contrition shown by the Storm was questionable. For the first time Manly won a grand final and everyone cheered. Perhaps not just because it was Beaver's last game.

For many fans, a 2008 grand final replay is not a palatable option. On a purely football level, the Storm would add much to any decider. Now that the salary cap applies equally to them, the Fab Four has lost its Ringo but remains in synch.

The Melburnians continue to roll through their plays with the precision of a Swiss timepiece, even if some members now come at a Casio pricetag. To watch Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater operate in unison is to watch three of the game's best produce a blend of rehearsed and unscripted magic. If they were born north of the Murray - notwithstanding the anomaly that is Greg Inglis's birthplace and State of Origin allegiance - perhaps it would be NSW gunning for their seventh consecutive series win.

The Storm are seldom outplayed or outcoached. If ever there was an asterisk over the accomplishments of Craig Bellamy, it has been removed. Coming into the 2011 season, his record showed no Origin series wins from three attempts. No premierships, minor or otherwise, to show for all the toil. Yet the way he has brought together a ragtag bunch of rookies and rejects is proof that, with the exception of Wayne Bennett, there is no better mentor in the game.

So why is it so hard to warm to the Storm? Is it because of the way they choke - sometimes literally - the life out of the opposition? Or that the title could be going, and this time staying, in Bleak City? Is rugby league, as 'Emperor' Denis Fitzgerald decreed all those years ago, better off without Melbourne?

For most, it is not so much Melbourne's rorting of the salary cap but the way they have reacted to it. From the moment their transgression was made public, the Storm have painted themselves as the victims. When Bellamy was asked, after accepting his Dally M coach of the year award, whether he believed he was striving for his first or third premiership, Bellamy claimed it was the latter. Indeed, they did not have to cheat to prosper and may have won anyway. But the fact remains that Melbourne systematically rorted the salary cap and were punished accordingly. Yet they seem to think they were the only ones to suffer.

The asterisk may have been removed from Bellamy's coaching credentials but it will remain forever against the 2007 and 2009 seasons. Runners-up Manly and Parramatta - and the other 13 clubs - have every right to be filthy that their chance to win the title was also taken away. But after all this time, there hasn't been any sign of contrition.

NRL boss David Gallop donned his flak jacket last week and took his medicine from the Storm faithful during the presentation of the JJ Giltinan Shield at AAMI Park. Their anger was misdirected. What was Gallop to do? Nothing? Let the club keep their trophies and the illegal payments? Storm chief executive Ron Gauci justified the abuse with this witty rejoinder to The Australian: ''I can understand how the supporters feel.'' One wonders whether Gauci understands how Sea Eagles or Eels supporters feel about his club's antics.

Gallop made a terrible analogy about the Storm's supporters but at least he manned up and apologised. Yet no one from down south has shown any contrition for the damage they inflicted upon themselves or the game. For the Storm, sorry seems to be the hardest word.
Wow - can you feel it? The noise of NSW media has gone from slight to loud and approaching thunderous.

In the one article he's managed to criticise Bellamy, Gauci, defend Gallop, blame the supporters, dump on our 'bleak' city, had a crack at the old grapple tackle saga, brought up Denis Fitzgerald, and even Greg Inglis' birthplace.

What a champ. 10/10 for effort Adrian. 0/10 for the actual point.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Adrian, that would be NEWS LTD, the owners and 1/2 of the board, that should be delivering the apology you massive flog. I do believe Hartigan did apologise at one stage, but whether that was for the act or just getting caught I cant tell.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

What a bunch of lima lima lima duck wits!!! In previous years this crap has got to me and made me angry. Now I find it funny how pathetic the NSW media are and how shit scared the NRL are of our Storm!!!

Comedian Greg Fleet was on the League Lounge the other night. They described him as a Tigers tragic.
Tragic is the right word for it when he described how upon starting a job with Sydney radio's 2DayFM he was told he needed to pick a NRL team. Being from Geelong he chose Melbourne Storm. To which he was told no. His team had to be from the west of Sydney.
Nice welcome to communist state.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I remember Shelly Craft saying she had to do the same thing when she moved to Melbourne (colleagues wouldnt "let" her support Crows or Lions). Helen Kapolos :love4: wasnt allowed to show support for the Storm because 10 had the rights to the AFL.

Its all a stupid Sydney-Melbourne thing.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

WHO CARES !! The Northern,(NEWS LTD edited/scripted) media attacks are aimed at the club & the players,rather than the fans who have & will continue to have a problem with Gallop & his masters. Below is THE TRUTH that they conveniently ignore ::)
The culture they have created here is down to them and the new guys have all bought into it."

While Manly use what they perceive as an injustice against Brett Stewart by the NRL after he was stood down for an alleged abuse of alcohol at a season launch in 2009 to drive them towards a grand final, Ponissi insists the Storm have taken a decision to not look back.

Although NRL chief executive David Gallop was subjected to a tirade of abuse from the Storm supporters when he visited AAMI Park two weeks ago, Ponissi said the salary cap issue is no longer worrying the players.

"I read somewhere that us and Manly have a siege mentality, I can't speak for Manly, but there is no siege mentality here," Ponissi said.

"We only worry about the opposition we play each week, it is not about moving on or proving people wrong or getting back at the NRL.

"You walk through our locker room at AAMI Park and you wouldn't hear anything about the stuff in the media, it is just not discussed.

"You can't look back on last year and use it to get players up, because so many of them were not here when it happened - you have to move on and we have done that.
Long may it be so 8)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, I dont see a seige mentality with us (the team that is), Manly yes, but not us.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On Gould's article; he's just pushing his own agenda but it doesn't stop him being right. That comment about pro-Gallop journos is spot on. Mind you, he has been the subject of a number or personal attacks both recently and at the height of the Super League War. Again, it doesn't mean he's incorrect its just that I think its from a personal view as well as his obvious love for our game.

I personally loved Rex Mossop's TV ad that stated "Here's a message from an Australian to a man who gave up his Australian citizenship...if there isn't already a law that prevents any one person from owning rugby league, particuarly a Yank, there bloody well should be!"

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

If I had a dollar for every time I read or heard something that told us how Storm players, staff and supporters feel and what they're thinking I would be a very rich person right now. That includes Gallop's "they booed because they support cheating" line - which pissed me off more than his terrorist line (which didn't offend or anger me at all - I just thought it was a silly thing for anyone to say in any context).
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

absentee wrote:If I had a dollar for every time I read or heard something that told us how Storm players, staff and supporters feel and what they're thinking I would be a very rich person right now. That includes Gallop's "they booed because they support cheating" line - which pissed me off more than his terrorist line (which didn't offend or anger me at all - I just thought it was a silly thing for anyone to say in any context).
Absolutely spot on and exactly how i feel. I couldn't give a toss about the terrorist line and agree it was just a dumb thing to say. It's him and every other know all telling all who cared to listen why we were booing when the truth is they have no fecking idea why. That's the (only) thing that pissed me off no end out of all of it.
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Does anyone have footage of Gallop getting booed?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree with you Ice, the comment that I booed because I support cheating really annoyed me much more than the cretinous terrorist remark, but, I'm sure that somewhere there are Storm supporters who lost people on 9/11 or in Bali who have every right to be fuming over it too.