Storm after Learoyd-Lahrs?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

* TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS THE NSW Origin giant could command as much as $450,000 a year from rival clubs, but he is negotiating to stay in Canberra.Learoyd-Lahrs has told his manager he wants to stay but several clubs are circling, including the Storm and the Titans. Despite reports linking him to Newcastle, the Knights have not expressed any interest in the 120kg prop.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... public_rss

Interesting.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

haha like we will get him....i can just imagin ppl will start saying again we are over the cap
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't think we could afford Learoyd-Lahrs, but who knows if Blair leaves that frees up some space but not enough.

From that article I am more concerned about the bit about Cooper Cronk having a get out clause in his contract. With Mooks at the Eels it wouldn't surprise in the future if a few off-contract Storm players ended up at the Eels.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

WTF.

Cooper Cronk with a "get out clause". Get out from what ? An amazingly priveledged lifestyle playing League in the NRL for Melbourne Storm.

I reckon some NRL players need to take a good long hard look in the mirror in order to realise that they already earn 20 x the salary of an average wage earner in Australia.

How the f*ck would the newspapers know that Cooper Cronk has a get out clause in his contract anyway, unless he or his manager are touting this...

No player is unreplaceable.....no player is bigger than the team.

If Cooper Cronk doesn't want to play with his good mates, or the snr coach who helped shape him or the club (which quite frankly) has looked after him pretty well depsite the SCD, then so be it...

Life will go on....a new superstar player will emerge....Cooper will be remembered as a Storm legend but possibly in a tainted way like Orford who chased the cash and 22,000 children will still die needlessly every day around the world due to poverty related hardship.

The last point is far more concerning to me than whether Cooper Cronk turns into a grub and chases cash, fame and fortune at the Eels.

For what it is worth...I personally don't think that Cooper Cronk will ever leave Storm unless he is forced out.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

yeah bellyache liked lahrs while he was coaching him during origin, but he has improved again since then and will be asking too much considering the players we have to resign for next year
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I doubt we could afford Tom, and i doubt Coops will be going anywhere. But then again, Billy, Cam and Coops aside, we don't really have any million dollar men at our club so may have some spare cash afterall. He would be a great purchase.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Personally I`d love to see TLL at our club. But as has been said already, I really dont think that we`d be able to afford him......... having said that, it doesn`t hurt to keep your fingers crossed ;D ;D ;D
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

When Cronk signed his last deal it was for 5 years and it always had a get out clause on the last year of the contract. I thought the get out clause was only if he went overseas to play. I pretty sure it can not go to another NRL club until the full 5 years are up
onlooker
Squall
Squall

glennb wrote:When Cronk signed his last deal it was for 5 years and it always had a get out clause on the last year of the contract. I thought the get out clause was only if he went overseas to play. I pretty sure it can not go to another NRL club until the full 5 years are up
Yes, if he does have a get out clause it will be specific to an event taking place. As the one listed above.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's also not unusual these days (from what i've read) to have a get out clause if the coach leaves as well and wouldn't surprise me if he or anyone else like Cam or Bill have it if Bellyache left. That said the great man has made a commitment to at least see out his current contract so thankfully it wouldn't apply in this case anyway.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

it wouldnt surprise me to have smith and slater resign for 400k a year (reportable -$100k a year on current contract) and cronk to resign for 350k a year extension. so we should have some $$$ in the bank somewhere. well im hoping anyway
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I wouldn't take any notice of the Cooper Cronk to Eels crap that keeps coming up. The Eels are looking for a half back - and that's all this is.

I imagine a few of the players have get out clauses in relation to the coach.

Anyway, Cronk knows how much everyone loves him in Melbourne, why would he want to go anywhere else - especially the Eels!!! ::)
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

I can't see this player ever being in the famous purple jersey, I also don't rate him highly enough to want to get him to the club.