Why do we get only 5 weeks?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Can someone tell me why the NRL only give 5 weeks of definite dates for each game? If nobody knows I'm going to attempt to find out from the NRL. You'd think they could organise the dates right from Round 1. Let me guess - television rights?
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

jellyhead wrote:Let me guess - television rights?
Good guess. :evil:
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

NRL games are dictated by channel 9 so the league isn't free to decide when precisely the games would be held. Unlike other sports where they can schedule the entire year in advance.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The negative of scheduling in tv games too far in advance is not knowing where teams will be positioned on the ladder when those games are played. In America, NFL games are scheduled in advance, and it can result in very poor ratings if two very mismatched teams are playing in a prime timeslot, like Monday Night Football is the US, or Friday Night Football down here.

Well, that's the theory anyway... last year Channel 9 seemed to just play the Roosters, Bulldogs, Knights, Broncos, and on occasion the Eels or Dragons (from memory). How long did it take before Ch9 finally showed a Raiders game, and they led for most of the season! :roll:

We could bitch about Ch9 all day...
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Well that just sucks. Channel 9 don't worry about it with the AFL. I guess because they show mostly all AFL games. :x
NZ Storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Parra were on more than occasionally, even after their wheels fell off they got most of the Friday night spots. It was an absolute joke!

I think I read somewhere last year that the Cowboys hadn't been on Nine since 1995!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Channel 9 choose what they think will be the game of the week, and that is the Friday night game. The rest stems from there, although I think they may also pick the Sunday arvo game as they show that match too
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Insomniac wrote:We could bitch about Ch9 all day...
Really?!? :D