Kearney > Eels 2011

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
billies later
Squall
Squall

Super Cronk wrote: kearns ?
Whilst I absolutely love the bloke, Um......Nope!

As a coach, He has the brains to make a great front rower. 
Let him keep to marketing the club and hosting functions.

Just my opinion,
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 66,00.html

Parramatta Eels sack Daniel Anderson as coach at emergency meeting
By Phil Rothfield
September 26, 2010 .Parramatta Eels have sacked embattled coach Daniel Anderson at an emergency board meeting tonight.

The meeting - originally scheduled for Tuesday night - was brought forward 48 hours after news of his likely dismal was leaked to the media over the weekend.

Parramatta is expected to issue a statement shortly to confirm his sacking and will begin negotiations shortly to sign Melbourne Storm's assistant coach Stephen Kearney.

His sacking follows an internal review conducted by CEO Paul Osborne and board members Geoff Gerard and Glen Duncan, who is also chief executive of the club's major sponsor Pirtek.

Duncan earlier broke from boardroom protocol to reveal his opinion that Anderson should be replaced by Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney.

"I think the position is untenable for Daniel to stay," Duncan said.

"Daniel's a good guy. I think he's had a hard time, but sometimes you've got to make these decisions for the club to move forward."

Anderson has been at the helm of the Eels for just two seasons. After being brought back to Australia from coaching St Helens in England last year, Anderson took Parramatta to the grand final.

This year the Eels finished 12th
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Anderson got Parra to the gf in 2009, then they finished 12th this year and he gets the sack OMG who would want to be an NRL coach these days!

I don't blame Mooks for leaving to better himself, but hate the fact he's going to that scummy club.  The're also probably hoping that having Mooks as coach, they'll snare a couple of the Storm players over when their contracts expire like Cooper Cronk.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Michael :P wrote: If Kearney does go, how about David Kidwell as a replacement ass. coach

Seems to be doing a great job so far.

Other suggestions ?
I like your idea about David Kidwell as a replacement coach.

Further down the track, I think Cooper Cronk and Jeremy Smith could turn out to become good coaches.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

CooperCronk wrote: Anderson got Parra to the gf in 2009, then they finished 12th this year and he gets the sack OMG who would want to be an NRL coach these days!

I don't blame Mooks for leaving to better himself, but hate the fact he's going to that scummy club.  The're also probably hoping that having Mooks as coach, they'll snare a couple of the Storm players over when their contracts expire like Cooper Cronk.

The thing is though CC, they only even made the finals because Hayne was in all-time form. If they lose one early game on that run they probably finish bottom 4. Then he comes into a new season without any tweaks to the offence becaue he thinks they can do it over all again but teams were never going to give Hayne the same space or let them get away with offloads.

The exact same thing happened at the Warriors i.e. the warriors got some succes becasue they offloaded at will but within a year or 2 teams had learnt how to shut it down and "Brains" Anderson didnt have the nous to adjust.

Its deja vu all over again boo-boo

BTW ID put money on Adam Blair ending up there as well.
Last edited by Michael :P on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5930129874

Anderson sacking may clear way for Ricky Stuart to coach the Brisbane Broncos in 2011

DANIEL Anderson's sacking at the Parramatta Eels has created a bizarre game of coaching musical chairs that could pave the way for Ricky Stuart to become coach of the Brisbane Broncos next year.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Kiwi Test coach Kearney - who Parramatta is about to sign - was also in the sights of the Brisbane Broncos, where Ivan Henjak's job is shaky and under review.

The Parramatta Eels were in serious danger of missing out on Kearney to the Broncos if they had not sacked Anderson immediately at Sunday night's emergency board meeting.

Now, former Sharks coach Stuart is in contention for the Broncos job should their board and new CEO - tipped to be Gene Miles - decide to remove Henjak.

Kearney is expected to sign with Parramatta by the end of the week on a three-year contract to replace Anderson, who is unemployed just 12 months after taking the Eels to the grand final.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Sources have revealed the Parramatta board was unanimous in its decision not to extend Anderson's contract beyond 2011 when they met on Sunday night.

Two of the eight directors supported Anderson staying for the remainder of his contract but the other six wanted Kearney straight away, knowing there was a real risk they would lose the best young coach in the business to the Brisbane Broncos.

Facing an election next year, the directors know they will be under pressure to keep their job unless Kearney gets them off to a strong start.

In Anderson's two seasons at Parramatta, the club has been in the top eight for only eight weeks out of a possible 52.

The dumped eels coach would not return phone calls or text messages yesterday.

The removal of deadwood from the leagues and football club staff over the past 18 months has seen a $2 million turnaround in the club's finances but directors are fully aware members want results on the football field more than a thriving business.

Meanwhile, former Test coach Stuart sits quietly in the background unaware that the Eels upheaval may have thrown the door open for a job at the Broncos.

Like Parramatta, the Broncos are undergoing an internal review and it is understood Henjak has been criticised for lacking communication skills with senior players including skipper Darren Lockyer.

Since cutting ties with the Sharks, Stuart has shown interest in the NSW State of Origin position but insists he wants nothing to do with a NRL club while a coach is still in the job.

His manager John Fordham last night insisted there had been no contact with the Broncos, where Stuart has a close relationship with Lockyer and other Test players from when he coached the Kangaroos.

"There have been no talks at all," Fordham said.

"Ricky is not a person who wants to thow his name out there for any job that comes up. It's just not his go.

"Anything that has been suggested so far regarding his career is pure speculati

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 15u75.html

A surprise in the inbox but sacking was no real shock for Anderson Brad Walter and Stathi Paxinos

PARRAMATTA coach Daniel Anderson learnt of his sacking by email but he was not shocked by the decision at Sunday night's emergency board meeting as plans are understood to have been in place for Stephen Kearney to replace him for more than a month.

Kearney is expected to be officially appointed to the job as soon as tonight, but sources close to Anderson believe an agreement was reached with the Storm assistant coach to take over the reins next season after Eels chief executive Paul Osborne travelled to Melbourne to meet him in early August.

Osborne and Parramatta chairman Roy Spagnolo also met Wallabies playmaker Quade Cooper about the same time, without Anderson. The Herald has been told that Anderson did not believe Cooper was the answer to the Eels' halfback problems but they proceeded to offer him a $3.2 million four-year deal to switch codes.

Anderson was also not involved in the recruitment of dual international Timana Tahu this season or the decision to re-sign Eric Grothe on a two-year contract.

He is also understood to have wanted to recruit Anthony Watts but the North Queensland utility has signed with the Sydney Roosters instead.

After realising that Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk was not going to accept a massive offer to leave the Storm,
Anderson wanted to sign an experienced playmaker such as Trent Barrett or Brett Kimmorley to mentor Daniel Mortimer but both retired. With Mortimer and Kris Keating as his halves, Matthew Keating at hooker and Jarryd Hayne as fullback, Anderson had young players in the key positions but he paid the price for overachieving the year before when the club made the grand final in his first season as coach.

The Eels finished 12th this year, the first full season that Anderson has coached at the top level since beginning his NRL career with the Warriors in 2001 that he has not featured in the finals.

Osborne confirmed Kearney was the top target. ''We're just looking at the different candidates available and seeing who best can meet the needs of the club,'' Osborne said.

''He [Kearney] is obviously coming from a very well structured organisation and has been an assistant coach under Craig Bellamy for a long time and worked very closely with Wayne Bennett so he's had some very good training. I'm sure if he gets the job he would do a terrific job.''

Storm chief executive Ron Gauci said he had not recently spoken with Kearney, who is coordinating New Zealand's tilt at next month's Four Nations tournament, about his future but the club would be willing to release him from his contract ''given he has been such a long serving loyal person at the club''.

''I can't see that we would stand in his way if the circumstances were right but we haven't been asked to do that,'' Gauci said.

''You would love to hold on to someone who has the potential to be a successful senior coach as Steve Kearney but we obviously need to be considerate of his own requirements

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5930275122

Sacking Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson will have consequences
Brent Read

MELBOURNE officials cleared the way for Stephen Kearney to join Parramatta yesterday as frustrated fans of the Eels took to the internet to vent their fury at the treatment of sacked coach Daniel Anderson.
Parramatta supporters dominated chat rooms and websites to voice their displeasure at the decision to terminate Anderson's contract with one year left to run. A large majority took aim at chairman Roy Spagnolo and his board.

Spagnolo swept to power 18 months ago with a promise to deliver success to a club which had craved it since the last of its four titles in 1986. Instead, he was under fire yesterday for the decision to remove the coach less than a year after Anderson took the club to the grand final.

Had the Eels not faced Melbourne, which fielded a side way over the salary cap, Anderson would in all likelihood have guided the club to a premiership. Not that those credentials mattered to the current board as they made the decision to end Anderson's tenure a year ahead of schedule, leaving supporters and players in a state of shock.

The backlash was so severe that some supporters are already eyeing next year's board elections -- to be held in April -- to remove the current directors.

If the elections were held tomorrow, Spagnolo and his board would be gone. Fortunately for them, they have seven months to save their positions and restore order to a club in disarray.

"You can't help but feel a little (bit responsible)," Eels five-eighth Daniel Mortimer said.

"We definitely didn't play our best this year. Maybe if we played better for Ando he would still be around.

"Unfortunately we don't really have any input on the decision. I hope to see him around. I am sure all his relationships with the players are strong. Unfortunately it's not up to the players.

"He has been a major player in my development so far. I have a lot to thank him for. That's why I would have liked to see him have another year."

Mortimer also called on officials to end the damaging leaks which emanated from the club this season. The situation became so dire that at one point senior players spoke to management in an attempt to plug the leaks.

"It does get a little bit disappointing when you pick up a newspaper or hear news and see that happen," Mortimer said of the leaks.

"You think, why wasn't I told about this. Unfortunately there is a leak at our club. It's not the best feeling to have around the club when anything you say can be leaked."

Kearney, who is also coach of New Zealand, is expected to be named as Anderson's replacement within days.

Storm chief executive Ron Gauci said he had spoken to Kearney about the Parramatta job but was yet to be contacted by the Eels.

He confirmed the Storm would not stand in Kearney's way should he want to join Parramatta
. The worry for Kearney and any other coach is that the board has set the bar high with its decision to sack Anderson, who has guided teams to two NRL grand finals and enjoyed much success in England.

Clearly, anything less than a finals berth is a ground for sacking.

"If the circumstances are right, and Stephen approached us to head in that direction as something he really wanted to do, he has been a good servant to the club," Gauci said.

"I'm sure it's something we can resolve if it was something Stephen wanted to do."

CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Poor Mooks, you are going to have a rude shock when you go to Parrascum. Way too much politics and back stabbing.

Good luck, you'll need it ;D
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5930275122

Sacking Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson will have consequences
Brent Read

MELBOURNE officials cleared the way for Stephen Kearney to join Parramatta yesterday as frustrated fans of the Eels took to the internet to vent their fury at the treatment of sacked coach Daniel Anderson.
Parramatta supporters dominated chat rooms and websites to voice their displeasure at the decision to terminate Anderson's contract with one year left to run. A large majority took aim at chairman Roy Spagnolo and his board.

Spagnolo swept to power 18 months ago with a promise to deliver success to a club which had craved it since the last of its four titles in 1986. Instead, he was under fire yesterday for the decision to remove the coach less than a year after Anderson took the club to the grand final.

Had the Eels not faced Melbourne, which fielded a side way over the salary cap, Anderson would in all likelihood have guided the club to a premiership. Not that those credentials mattered to the current board as they made the decision to end Anderson's tenure a year ahead of schedule, leaving supporters and players in a state of shock.

The backlash was so severe that some supporters are already eyeing next year's board elections -- to be held in April -- to remove the current directors.

If the elections were held tomorrow, Spagnolo and his board would be gone. Fortunately for them, they have seven months to save their positions and restore order to a club in disarray.

"You can't help but feel a little (bit responsible)," Eels five-eighth Daniel Mortimer said.

"We definitely didn't play our best this year. Maybe if we played better for Ando he would still be around.

"Unfortunately we don't really have any input on the decision. I hope to see him around. I am sure all his relationships with the players are strong. Unfortunately it's not up to the players.

"He has been a major player in my development so far. I have a lot to thank him for. That's why I would have liked to see him have another year."

Mortimer also called on officials to end the damaging leaks which emanated from the club this season. The situation became so dire that at one point senior players spoke to management in an attempt to plug the leaks.

"It does get a little bit disappointing when you pick up a newspaper or hear news and see that happen," Mortimer said of the leaks.

"You think, why wasn't I told about this. Unfortunately there is a leak at our club. It's not the best feeling to have around the club when anything you say can be leaked."

Kearney, who is also coach of New Zealand, is expected to be named as Anderson's replacement within days.

Storm chief executive Ron Gauci said he had spoken to Kearney about the Parramatta job but was yet to be contacted by the Eels.

He confirmed the Storm would not stand in Kearney's way should he want to join Parramatta
. The worry for Kearney and any other coach is that the board has set the bar high with its decision to sack Anderson, who has guided teams to two NRL grand finals and enjoyed much success in England.

Clearly, anything less than a finals berth is a ground for sacking.

"If the circumstances are right, and Stephen approached us to head in that direction as something he really wanted to do, he has been a good servant to the club," Gauci said.

"I'm sure it's something we can resolve if it was something Stephen wanted to do."
I know what job Id prefer If I was Kearney.

And if I was him (which im not  :shock2: ) id be getting some-one to make a quci call to Brisbane before i sign on the blue- & gold  line.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

If Steve wants to coach then he realy needs to sit back and way up the options. I for one would not go to parra if they do that to one coach they will do it again as they have in the past, Bris well good club good culture but same employer, he may not like that after what has gone on this year or realy sit down with storm and plan the next five years out. But it would be a shame for one of our best clubmen to be against us.
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

And listening to their CEO Osbourne, they expect to make the top 4 next year,

No pressue on the new coach there with that statement , who needs that in your first year as coach,

Good Luck Kearney
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hmm ? Tough choice for Mooks.
Leave the band of brothers/family culture at Melbourne for...............
A fairly stable & successful club in Brisbane
or
An unstable backstabbing snake pit in Parramatta
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Play the ball wrote: And listening to their CEO Osbourne, they expect to make the top 4 next year,

No pressue on the new coach there with that statement , who needs that in your first year as coach,

Good Luck Kearney
they dont have the side to make it IMO, maybe if they get gower or orford at 7, but even then if they could go better than they did this year they'd still be overachieving!

i think kearney should pick his time better and coach at a better run club and not the first one offered to him
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Meanwhile on the other side of the planet..............................

A former assistant coach is kickin' ass !!

Congratulations Micheal Maguire - SL Coach of the Year 2010  =D>
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields