Greg Inglis to Brisbane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Noa Nadruku wrote: Ok, time to lay some reality down for every-one.

That article bascially says that we still need to lose nearly $700k still, so its comes down to whether you want to keep GI and lose the majority of, if not all of Sika, Adam Blair, Kev Proctor and Brett White and then, this is the important part, 2 years from now when his contract is up Greg leaves anyway. So basically youve let Sika, Adam and co go for nothing.  Imo the Storm realise this which is why theyre willing to pay the 20k difference in the salaries.

Now in my limited understanding of the game a strong forward pack keeps you in games and if we lose those 3 or 4 next year we will be also-rans even if we keep Greg- for 2 seasons only mind you -  for the mentioned reasons.

Now Greg will probaly go on to acheive immortality at the Broncos but the reality is it is better for the short and long term future of the Storm given our current predictament. Which mind you isnt of his making so lets not make him out to be the bad-guy.
Of course you are absolutely right...there is no debate.

When I look at it with my heart I am gutted....worse than gutted to think that I will never see the freakish things that GI did happen in a Melbourne Storm jersey again.

When I look at it with my head...I know he would leave in 2 years time anyway and in the meantime we would have lost blair, manu, proctor and countless other juniors.

I just hope in losing GI...that we don't also lose blair, manu, proctor, neilsen, widdop, O'Neill...cos that really will be too much to cope with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also...just so you know now...I reserve the right to boo Inglis when wearing a Ponies jersey. That's my perogative and probably the only way I'll stop myself crying.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright says the club would be crazy not to make a play for Melbourne Storm centre Greg Inglis.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle is overseas and Cartwright says he does not know if the club can afford the Origin and Test star, whose future in Melbourne remains unclear.

The Brisbane Broncos have expressed interest in signing Inglis and Cartwright says they are not alone.

"When a player like that is off contract, you would be mad to not try and see if you could fit him into your system," he said.

"I don't know how we'd be able to do that, and I'm not sure of the concessions in the salary cap, whether that would allow us to be in a position to bid for him.

"But there wouldn't be a coach in the NRL that wouldn't say they didn't want Greg Inglis."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If they somehow sign him, I will be convinced they are over
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cowbell-Mark wrote:
"When a player like that is off contract, you would be mad to not try and see if you could fit him into your system," he said.
Sorry Mr Cartwright you dickhead.........but he's NOT OFF FRIGGIN CONTRACT....HE'S OUR PLAYER TILL WE LET HIM GO.
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

Storm Spirit wrote:
Cowbell-Mark wrote:
Sorry Mr Cartwright you dickhead.........but he's NOT OFF FRIGGIN CONTRACT....HE'S OUR PLAYER TILL WE LET HIM GO.
Shit I just realised that..what an idiot!
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Hey guys. I live in Brisbane and they've just shown footage of Greg wearing a Bronco's jersey on the NRL Footy Show.

It's apparently going to be announced late tomorrow afternoon that he's signed for Brisbane.

Andrew Voss has said this.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2995/mattgeyer0xw.jpg[/img][/url]
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

riders of the storm wrote: Hey guys. I live in Brisbane and they've just shown footage of Greg wearing a Bronco's jersey on the NRL Footy Show.

It's apparently going to be announced late tomorrow afternoon that he's signed for Brisbane.

Andrew Voss has said this.
real footage of him wearing a shoncos jersey or a digital image ?

i ain't going to watch this whole load of crap...i have to accept it's happening...but I don't have to like it and I definitely don't have to watch it.
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It was a digital image not a real one.

And I totally agree with you Storm Front.

Look at Dane Nielsen. He IS off contract and last time I checked he hasn't signed elsewhere because he wants to stay here (apologies if i'm behind in the news). I say let him stay and let Greg walk.

And by the way no need to change what you said about Billy to an arm, toe, finger etc What you said was perfect  ;-) and so true!
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/stormbec/banner-new.jpg[/img]
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well now the "Storm Board" has officially withdrawn the court case - and even paid the NRL's legal costs (thanks News Ltd) the NRL are willing to negotiate the GI deal.

Sounds like blackmail to me?
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

This is just new.
Brisbane Broncos have upped the ante in the battle for Greg Inglis as former club great Steve Renouf uses his indigenous ties in a bid to lure the centre to Red Hill.

As an "anxious" Inglis awaits a definitive call on his future, Renouf has taken matters into his own hands, privately phoning the Australia sensation to spruik the benefits of playing alongside Darren Lockyer at the Broncos.

Renouf has formed a close bond with Inglis in recent years and the duo were named as the centre pairing in the NRL's Indigenous Team of the Century two years ago.

A meeting between Melbourne Storm and NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert, expected to take place in the next week, will ultimately determine whether the Storm have the latitude under the salary cap to keep Inglis on their books for 2011.

But Renouf believes the Maroons flyer will go to another level if he joins the Broncos and ultimately fills the left centre position the "Pearl" occupied with lethal effect during his glittering 183-game career at Red Hill.

"I've been ringing Greg, we've had some chats," Renouf said. "It started when talks first broke down last week . . . I told Greg I was proud of him as an Aboriginal kid and would love to see him at the Broncos.

"Mine was just a personal call to him from a Broncos old boy because I want him at my club.

"Greg told me talks had fallen down and he seemed pretty OK with it. He said there was an issue with money but it looks like it's sorted out and hopefully we'll have his signature in the next few days.

"I told him how much I'd love to see him at the club and why the Broncos would be the best place for him."

Inglis's manager, Allan Gainey, said the centre was getting jittery about his future as the saga continued.

"I'm very much up in the air, I'm just waiting on Melbourne," he said.

"Things are in place with the Broncos, they are ready to go, but they (the Storm) are trying to assess his value in the cap when they meet with Schubert.

"I'd like to think it is a done deal (with the Broncos) but they still haven't released him. The deal will be consummated as soon as he is released."
Monsoon
Monsoon

You know what?

I think we are puttin up a fight to keep GI, i think weve realised its not a smart move when we can release white and quinn for the same amount.
Ponissi & gauci might very well be digging their heels in to keep GI, its the only reason nothing has been announced yet.

I believe brisbane has tabled a 450k offer
I believe 3rd party deals of 100k are in place
I believe GI and his manager want to go to Brisbane
I dont believe the storm are definately going to release him, its still up to us if we keep him.
I dont believe were willing to pay 80k to subsidise his contract but not 100k.. I THINK we will only release him if we pay 0

Thoughts?
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

[quote="1999"]
You know what?

I think we are puttin up a fight to keep GI, i think weve realised its not a smart move when we can release white and quinn for the same amount.
Ponissi & gauci might very well be digging their heels in to keep GI, its the only reason nothing has been announced yet.

I believe brisbane has tabled a 450k offer
I believe 3rd party deals of 100k are in place
I believe GI and his manager want to go to Brisbane
I dont believe the storm are definately going to release him, its still up to us if we keep him.
I dont believe were willing to pay 80k to subsidise his contract but not 100k.. I THINK we will only release him if we pay 0

Thoughts?
I would let him go, if his hearts not in it to stay at Melbourne then he needs to go, put the money into thye young guys. I,ve said before putting all our eggs in one basket is not a good thing.
And if he asked to be released why the hell should we have to make up the differance in his contract with The Bronco's
Monsoon
Monsoon

I dont think he wants to leave, but we all do crazy things for love, we all know the missus gets their way eventually  :P

If melbourne tell him to see out his contract i think he wont be too dissapointed, because his hands are tied, and sally will be happy he tried! ;D
Monsoon
Monsoon

And all you saying its good for our cap situation..

Quinn - 300k
White - 250k
Lowrie - 200k

GI - 660k

You'd happily give up the best player of his generation for those 3?

please.
J-Storm
Squall
Squall

White & Lowrie, most DEF! Quinn, not so much, but again, he's not worth $300k in my opinion. He could rejig his contract as well as Im a big advocate of The Mighty Quinn. Im not fussed if Inglis stays or goes anymore, I think most of us are over it, we just want it finalised one way or the other ASAP
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After seeing the arrogance of Broncos supporters and their belief they have a divine right to Inglis, I hope he stays or goes to the Titans.

Would make me very, very, very happy.