Greg Inglis to Brisbane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

[quote="The Mauritian"]
1.Whiddop
2.Duffie
3.?
4.Stanley
5.O`Neil
6.Slater
7.Cronk
8.Norrie
9.Smith
10.Kite/Bromwich
11.Manu
12.Blair
13.Proctor

14.Ryan Hinchcliffe
15.Jesse Bromwich/Sione Kite
16.?
17.?

I`m not sure if this has been suggested anywhere but does anyone think this might be worth looking at. Billy has been developing a playmaking role for a while and this might be able to utilise both him and Whiddop effectively. Not sure about the other centre position after that... maybe Tohu Harris?, or Nielson if we can keep him ( assuming Inglis is now leaving)
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

estormboy wrote: Call me harsh if you want, but after sitting through the best part of 60 mins of the game between the Storm and the Warriors, could Greg Inglis look any more disinterested???

I acknowledge it's been a tumultuous week, let alone last few days, but he obviously had other things on his mind.
I have said it before, Greg is just average at club level, he only comes alive in finals footy and rep games, plus he is in a side with the playmaker favouring the right edge, he would be better suited to Brisbane with Locky favouring the left, we should let him go and use the $400K to secure a couple of middle teir players. IMO we need Cam, Cooper and Billy but Greg is expendable.
Stormtrooper9
Squall
Squall

1999 wrote: Im sure dane nielsen will be retained.

But surely we are not going to pay GI 200k a year to play against us.

Who cares, after kimmorley, orford, folau etc, loyalty is dead in rugby league.

i think we can keep white manu blair and nielsen now so not all bad news.

I agree '99, the fact we will be able to retain Blair, Manu and Nielsen is a positive. It is also reassuring to know GI, is going for a cause (G.F) and is not particularly leaving because of dis-interest.

On a side note, I've been reading a lot of posts about GI looking disinterested. Did anyone see Whitey's game ? A few hit-ups and tackles, however IMO, he looked heavy, unfit and dis-interested. I'd rather retain Lima even though he looked flat tonight.
Craig Bellamy: "We ain't going anywhere"
estormboy
Squall
Squall

BigG wrote:
estormboy wrote: Call me harsh if you want, but after sitting through the best part of 60 mins of the game between the Storm and the Warriors, could Greg Inglis look any more disinterested???

I acknowledge it's been a tumultuous week, let alone last few days, but he obviously had other things on his mind.
I have said it before, Greg is just average at club level, he only comes alive in finals footy and rep games, plus he is in a side with the playmaker favouring the right edge, he would be better suited to Brisbane with Locky favouring the left, we should let him go and use the $400K to secure a couple of middle teir players. IMO we need Cam, Cooper and Billy but Greg is expendable.

I woudn't say that GI is average at club level .... i'd say his reputation precedes him and so he is marked very tightly nowadays.  As soon as he gets the ball he is wrapped up instantly.  No point trying the fend when your feet are wrapped up :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

estormboy wrote:
BigG wrote:

I woudn't say that GI is average at club level .... i'd say his reputation precedes him and so he is marked very tightly nowadays.  As soon as he gets the ball he is wrapped up instantly.  No point trying the fend when your feet are wrapped up :)
Hes not gang tackled every tackle, he has plenty of chances one on one but he just doesent aim up at club level every week, and for $600k he needs to. Don't get me wrong I would prefer to keep him and even put up with his quiet games for the chance to see him when he is on form. But a business decission needs to be made here and I still think Greg is the most expentable player out of the so called "4". And the money saved is better spent on a couple of mid tier players, what if Greg gets injured, you will have $600k sat on the touchline, whereas if you have 2 mid tier players and one of them gets injured we still have one fit player to tak his place, we will need the extra depth next year.
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

He's gone - And where to?
Another News Ltd club - Brisbane. melbourne will still be footing part of the bill. This deal was done by News Ltd.
But he's gone - I can reveal that for sure.
Scott Hill and Robbie Ross - The Best

GALLOP + THE NRL = THE REAL CHEATS

Hartigan and Wilson present:
Gauci and Gallop - The newest Muppets

News Ltd = The death of Rugby League
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Quite frankly I am disappointed with GI because he said he wanted to stay in Melbourne and not play against us in another NRL jersey.  Then quite conventiently his GF lands a job in Brisbane and the Broncos enticed him to head up some Aboriginal Rights Group in Brisbane and probably some other goodies...and we all know the rest.

Unless of course, he wanted to do Storm a favour by lowering our salary cap ;-)

Something smell quite fishy to me.
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Of course it does.
Common denominator - News Ltd
Scott Hill and Robbie Ross - The Best

GALLOP + THE NRL = THE REAL CHEATS

Hartigan and Wilson present:
Gauci and Gallop - The newest Muppets

News Ltd = The death of Rugby League
Mall_Rat
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

The entire situation smells about as much a sewage treatment plant.  Then again that may just be the natural stench of News Limited.
In only a matter of days we have gone from the bronco's offer not being even in the right ballpark to News limited taking full control of the storm board and the bronco's all of a sudden having an offer that is more than enough.
I guess they gave Greg a guarantee of his entire contract with storm paying the left overs out of our cap.
I'm sure that the entire situation will be given 100% backing from the NRL and Gallop telling everyone how good of a job News Limited is doing to make sure the storm are under the cap before the start of 2011.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

CooperCronk wrote: Quite frankly I am disappointed with GI because he said he wanted to stay in Melbourne and not play against us in another NRL jersey.  Then quite conventiently his GF lands a job in Brisbane and the Broncos enticed him to head up some Aboriginal Rights Group in Brisbane and probably some other goodies...and we all know the rest.

Unless of course, he wanted to do Storm a favour by lowering our salary cap ;-)

Something smell quite fishy to me.
I've supported players in their moves to other clubs...been polite...even warm to them.

Sorry but I really just think i am going to struggle with Inglis given that his words and actions don't match.

I judge a person by his actions and deeds......not by his words.

Words are easy.....actions take real courage.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1.Breaking a contract two years early
2.Doing it when our club is in a time of need & on its knees
3.Going to our biggest rival
4.Our club supporting him through assault case which brought shame to our previously clean club
5.All adds up to a Bit of a Dog act I don't care what anyone says
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If we are paying $200k in our cap for the next two years for GI, I would be unhappy with that. However, if it meant we kept Sika and Blair than that is a good consolation.

After the way we stood by Greg during his assault case, it really hurts if he has just thrown it back in our face. We don't know the true story and I wonder if Sally was offered a job by a News Ltd owned company.

Anyway if GI signs with the Broncos on Monday, lets drop him back to the NSW Cup.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Still amazed that one media reports it and now its a 'fact' ...just like the 'fact' cooper was signing with the Eels...
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It is not a fact, but is likely to happen.  He can talk to Brisbane and agree to terms, but he can not sign anything until we agree to let him out of his contract.  Our football mangaer is quoted in today's paper as saying he is going to talk to Greg on Monday.  Craig said in the post match press confernece he knows nothing about it and it is just a rumor.  Bruno Culllen has said we are only talking at the moment, he has signing nothing.

I think all media has a very loose meaning of the "fact" or it does when it come to Storm.

At least with the election being called and the so called Hayne Train" back in town the papers might leave as alone for a while.  The will ignore us total if G.I signs with the Broncos
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote:
Anyway if GI signs with the Broncos on Monday, lets drop him back to the NSW Cup.
As harsh as it sounds....if he doesn't want to be true to his word and repay the Storm and if he doesn't want to be at Storm anymore......then he should just be granted an immediate release before the NRL deadline so that he play with the Shoncos.

As someone said earlier....loyalty is dead i nthe NRL and that can be a 2 way street.

I'd rather get games in blokes who will be at the club in 2011 and beyond.

There is a SMH article in todays paper saying

"Ironically, the Storm are about to be in a better financial position to retain their superstar quartet.

The Sun-Herald understands Storm trio Brett Finch, Ryan Hoffman and Jeff Lima will be unveiled tomorrow as Super League giants Wigan's newest recruits.

And with former NSW winger Anthony Quinn also expected to be in the UK come 2011, there will be more money to keep the stars.

Lima ($275,000), Hoffman ($250,000) and Quinn ($290,000) are all under contract for 2011 but will relieve the Storm of $815,000 from next year's cap, while the departures of Aiden Tolman ($225,000), Finch ($250,000) and Ryan Tandy ($150,000) will save the embattled club from forking out a further $625,000 to retain them.

With the NRL's $100,000 salary cap increase, the doubling of the marquee player exemption to $300,000 and the relaxation of third-party agreements, the loss of Inglis will have more to do with personal than financial reasons.

Quinn has been the most difficult player for the Storm to shift given he still has two years remaining on his lucrative contract, but the former former Knight is expected to sign with either Hull or Huddersfield in coming weeks."

IMHO if GI thinks that leaving Storm to support is fiancee in her work in QLD is best for his career...he is sadly mistaken. What you know about life at 23 is vastly different to what you know about life by your mid to late 40's...but then again...everyone has to make their own mistakes I suppose.

Like many before him who have left Storm....there is enormous potential for his star to fade slightly. Don't get me wrong...he'll still be an awesome player, but if he plays 1 good club game out of 5 at Storm...he'll probably be 1 in 10 at Shincos.

He'll hate being mobbed and instantly recognisable by everyone in the street in Brisvegas....which will put even more pressure on him and cause him to struggle with the weight of expectation.

If his relationship is so strong with Miss Robinson...it will still be in 5 years time....but his career will only last another 7 or so and if playing isn't much fun anymore during those last 7....then there is a LOOOOONG time to regret it.
Last edited by Storm Spirit on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time