Tonight's Footy Show

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just watched the NRL Footy show.  The opened the first five minutes with us, didn't really say anything new.  Vossy, did question the report saying the four directors were cleared of having any knowledge of the rort, but were still sacked.
Then Gallop was on.  He is comfortable with the report findings and how it was done.  The plenties we received in April, are all that is required because the NRL found the orinigal rorting and Newslimited just wanted to ensure it was all cleared up before putting more money into the club.  Melbourne is staying in NRL, the are 100% behind us and is Newslimited.  Players might be able to stay, but taking huge pay cuts and players on under their market value will not be allowed.  The Storm will have to get to 4.2 million plus the new concessions next year before be allowed to play next year.  The NRL we help us with contract, but we will have to go to them with our roster setup and contracts.
He was upset players would not talk to the auditors, but said there is no way the players would have know that the payments were over the cap or not declared to the NRL.  All players should be aware that if you are signing to different documents, thing are right.

Vossy then told us White hae been offered three years at Canberra.  The inviewed Bruno Cullen, he is not coming to Melbourne to be the CEO, and if GI manager rang again to restart plans to go to Brisbane, they would start talking again.  He said,''never say never" about  buying GI.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Did you notice that he again didn't answer the question (put to him by Wendell) about if a player wants to sign for less with Storm?  Just rambled on about how if other clubs are willing to pay more for them then that's what they are worth......CRAP!!!  What if a player WANTS to stay with Storm even though another club has offered them say $50k  - $100k more? Is Gallop saying they have to go with the highest offer?? He's so full of crap I'm surprised his eyes aren't dark BROWN!!!
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tigger wrote: Did you notice that he again didn't answer the question (put to him by Wendell) about if a player wants to sign for less with Storm?  Just rambled on about how if other clubs are willing to pay more for them then that's what they are worth......CRAP!!!  What if a player WANTS to stay with Storm even though another club has offered them say $50k  - $100k more? Is Gallop saying they have to go with the highest offer?? He's so full of crap I'm surprised his eyes aren't dark BROWN!!!
According to this evidence,they will be soon

"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

So the players mustn't be under their market value, and if another club wants to pay more, then that is their market value? 

So is Mark Gasnier really only worth $100K then, and nobody wanted to offer him say $150K to go to another club? 

Bullshit, Gallop and the NRL wanted Gasnier back so badly that they looked the other way and endorsed the deal. 

We'll have to wait and see how "fair" the NRL will be in applying their "rules" to us.
On The Hill
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Can someone explain to me how they can legally stop players taking pay cuts?
They way I see it they would have to prove beyond doubt that they players wouldn't have re-signed on less money on their last contracts, and they couldn't do that.
The main problem with where we are at now is that the NRL are terribly run so won't be any help at all in the next months of sorting the list out.
It sounds simple but if they players agreed is it not possible to just tear up all contracts and start again, then the players they can't fit under the cap move on.

Just heard there is a rumour spreading on 3AW that the players are pulling out of the rest of the season. Surely not!
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The way I understand it is that if the players wanted to do an extension on their current contract they could then re-negotiate the terms and amounts they are currently on and thus taking some form of a pay cut. They apparently won't be able to take massive pay-cuts to stay at the club and some players will have to be off-loaded. I think you will find that no one in the NRL can really match what they are currently on with the Storm so it could work in our favour.

So for example you could offer Inglis Smith and Slater a 12 month extension on their current deal and reduce the amount they would be receiving next year and also take out any guarantees for third party deals that are in place (like Smith's Fox Sports deal). It could free up a little bit of money and would mean less players would have to leave and make it easier to get under the cap.

In reality for them to be "released" from a contract both parties have to agree to it. If the players don't want to go then they could refuse a release and maintain that they want their contract honoured....

Its all too sticky and it makes my head hurt  ???
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/stormbec/banner-new.jpg[/img]
Rudski
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

The NRL wants to avoid what happened with the bulldogs in 2002-2004 when they retained an illegal roster with paycuts and won the cup in 2004.
The Storm just need to suck it up and accept theor medicine rather than whinging about "process" and "fairness"
if they folowed process and played fair in the first place they wouldnt be in this mess nwo would they.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

While legally both parties can re-negotiate the contract (as happened with the bulldogs) the contract still has to be registered with the NRL and that is how they can inforce this.  It seems fair to me  ???

Oh and on a lighter note StormBec - just how young does billy look on your sig? - cute!
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

stormsally wrote: Oh and on a lighter note StormBec - just how young does billy look on your sig? - cute!
I know! Same with Dallas too! Hard to believe that was 4 years ago... they're all still gorgeous though  :P
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/stormbec/banner-new.jpg[/img]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

My reading of this is that the main cause of the blowout is 3rd party agreements,which appear to be on separate contracts and although these are legally enforceable they are viewed as illegal by the NRL.
So......................... If our players are currently contracted,(on their NRL contracts) at near their 'true' market value then our friend Mr Canter,(the lawyer) surely could not be saying he has a problem with the 'illegal' 3rd party deals being re-valued ?

We do have a problem with 'back ended' contracts though,as these can't realistically be written down since they are designed to reward a player for staying with the club.Not sure how many of our current squad would be on a 'back ended' contract that is close to term ?

BTW - STILL ANGRY over the 'removal' of the Storm friendly elements of the board but rational enough to put that revenge wish aside - for now  ;-)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

From what I have read in an article from Bellamy (I posted a link earlier - can't be bothered looking) he was told that the club will be over the cap next year in back ended contracts already registered with the NRL.  That means Storm "officials/cheats" were allowed to register contracts that would have meant they would have to break some contracts in order to be under in 2011.  Hence players told to look elsewhere from the beginning of the year (Lima - Hoffman I read, but not sure).

Don't the NRL salary cap dept know how to run a spreadsheet?  Why were Storm allowed to register contracts that would put them over??  Would the salary cap dept say - no release someone before we can sign this?

I think NRL bashing is generally counterproductive, but I think as administrators of the game they should actually administor the salary cap - not just rely on the clubs to do the paperwork and think the threat of the punishment and that "someone will always tell" be the basis of their big stick.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in