Judgement Day

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

jellyhead wrote:
Freshy wrote: why do you wish for the court casse to be dropped jellyhead?
Because it is and always was ridiculous and is just adding fuel to the fire with other supporters.  Accept the punishment and move on.

Gallop will get his one day.
In your opinion, how is it ridiculous?
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

jellyhead wrote:

Because it is and always was ridiculous and is just adding fuel to the fire with other supporters.  Accept the punishment and move on.

Gallop will get his one day.

To be blunt Jelly, i couldn't give a flying *lima lima lima duck* what the other supporters think. Through this whole saga they've shown their hand in wanting us kicked out of the comp and how much hatred they have for us so why the hell would i or anyone care what those pricks think?
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Because the stripping of the premierships, minor premierships and no points this season and the fines were the punishment.  Storm WERE over the cap.  They have to accept the punishment dished out.

Technicalities aside, those punishments are going to stand.  Even if Storm win the court case, the NRL will just go ahead and dish out the same punishment but do it above board.  Nothing is going to change.

Cop it sweet.

Maybe I'm just over it and all the flak we've copped.  I just want this season to be over.  :'(
stormfan
Squall
Squall

Has it been released who will run the club in the absence of the 4 independent directors?
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

stormfan wrote: Has it been released who will run the club in the absence of the 4 independent directors?

WE ARE!!  ALL THE SUPPORTERS.  AND BELLAMY!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm kidding, of course.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Stephen Rue, News Ltd CFO is now on the board.
You had me at meat tornado.
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

My understanding was that the court case was stated as being between the Melbourne Storm and the NRL, even though it was only the independant directors who were taking forward our case.  If that is true, then the idependant directors cannot continue the court action.  So New Ltd and the F*&king NRL win again.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Independant directors are the only people who have stood up to News Limited. Their not only taking this action based on principle but they like us believe we deserved a fair go before having the punishments handed down.

In saying this, just because the directors are removed it doesnt mean the court case will come to a halt. This is why they sought the backing of the football department before they went ahead with their actions, so they could carry on with the actions if it came to them being removed.

The directors have no choice really but to carry on with the court case, their reputation/credibility has been ruined by News and they need to fix it.

Hartigan: Directors arent allowed access to the complete report LOL WHAT A JOKE
Last edited by Freshy on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

absentee wrote: Stephen Rue, News Ltd CFO is now on the board.

Great, just what we need another News limited scumbag on the board. With them getting the majority vote in everything they'll do exactly as they please without anyone being able to question it. I love the Storm passionately but after today I've really just about had a gutful of this game.
J-Storm
Squall
Squall

I actually have to agree with Jelly. I think the sooner the court case is dropped, the sooner we as a club can try to work with the NRL to work out some way of co-operate on getting players to take pay cuts to help. All the ongoing stuff is just going to make it harder & it's not worthwhile for the simple fact as Jelly said, we were over the cap, we did cheat, we were dealt our punishment. There's nothing more to be gained there IMO. Just get it out of the way to focus for the future because this year & the previous couple can't be changed now. I just want the club settled again so it can move forward rather than deal with this screw up on a day to day basis like we have been since April 22nd...
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Freshy wrote:Hartigan: Directors arent allowed access to the complete report LOL WHAT A JOKE
I believe he said that the report was done specifically for News Ltd and not the Storm.

Also, News Ltd are not willing to sell the club - even to Gerry Ryan - until they're comfortable with the position it is in.  Hartigan said perhaps two or three years.
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

waveydavey wrote: My understanding was that the court case was stated as being between the Melbourne Storm and the NRL, even though it was only the independant directors who were taking forward our case.  If that is true, then the idependant directors cannot continue the court action.  So New Ltd and the F*&king NRL win again.
Dont forget Peter Gordon formally Slater and Gordon, also joined the court case on
behalf of the members - just in case the independent directors were stood down...
It was a back up to ensure the case would still go ahead...
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

I agree with Jelly about that fact that we (and by that I mean a few people) did wrong and that the punishment - albeit harsh - was somewhat appropriate.  
I don't agree that the case (in some form) should be dropped however because those people are the only ones actually looking after the best interests of Melbourne Storm it seems.  The way things were handled in April by the NRL was suspect to say the least - there had to have been some collusion with News and their Storm reps without our independent members knowledge.

I do not agree with News Ltd sacking the four independent board members!  John Hartigan has made some insinuations about the board members and players that are disgusting!  I am so angry at that company and that man!  News are the ones who RUN the club and all this slipped by them over five years so now they are blaming everyone for their own incompetence!  
News Ltds monopoly with the NRL must end!!

Words cannot describe how I feel right now.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

My notes from Hartigans Press Conference: (apologies for spelling errors)

500,000.00 over cap in 2007
1,000,000.00 in 2009
Over 1 mil this year

Total of 3.17mil from 2006 to the end of this year

Tough penalties affecting all in storm family who have done nothing wrong. Extreme loyalty and support. Thanks everyone for support

While penalties are tough they are warranted.

How did this happen?
Small group of senior managers concealed. 5 managers directly involved: Brian Waldron Matt Hanson Paul Gregory Peter O’sullivan and Cameron Vale. Only vale cooperated with investigation. Hanson cooperated to some degree. Gregory and Hanson remain at club but suspended from duty after April 22. Their future matter for the board. His view no future for them at the club.

Evidence in certain cases they covered their tracks and worked together.

Main payments received from:
The Unity foundation.
McManus group – Andrew McManus.

No information that they knew the payments were over the cap or illegal.

Tax invoices rendered and paid to players

Email to Gerry Ryan from Vale about Jayco payment could be refunded to pay players. No evidence that Jayco knew that they were cheating the cap. No evidence that the money was ever refunded to pay players

Payments were recorded as donations

Players also received Free flights, Gift vouchers, cars. Never disclosed or written up as something else

13 players 7 current and 6 former. No evidence that they knew they were receiving anything outside the cap.

Will Chambers Michael Crocker Cooper Cronk Matt Geyer Antonio Kaufusi Anthony Quinn Billy Slater Cameron Smith Steve Turner Brett White Dallas Johnson Greg Inglis Ryan Hoffman.

No current players cooperated with investigation.

Player managers refused to cooperate and told players not to cooperate.

Players were guaranteed that any private info they gave would be treated as that.

Pleased to confirm Craig cooperated and has been cleared of any wrongdoing.
Referring findings to Victorian police.

Three main points:
1. News is committed to rebuilding the storm
2. We are in the process of recruiting a new CEO
3. Work out playing roster to allow the storm to field a competitive team under cap

Won’t commit to confirming “the 4” will all be at the club next year. Will be hard to keep them all and have a competitive side in his opinion.

Would not dream of selling storm until it has rehabilitated from this situation. News about building strong franchises and looking after their welfare.

1.3 mil over cap next year.

Storm funding required from News $14 mil next yr

Ordinarily would be $6mil

Unacceptable to News that independent directors challenging NRL

Moodie, Mahr and Ryan refused to cooperate with investigation.

Pressing issue to field a team next yr under the cap

Independent directors refused proposed arbitration by NRL to resolve the matter.

New leadership required and needs to start at the top.

4 independent directors have been removed from the club

No evidence they were aware of breaches

To fans: He “shares your pain”

The storm and its fans have shown remarkable pride and resilience. We will win again and this time fairly.
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/stormbec/banner-new.jpg[/img]
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Also, the lights went out at one point during the press conference.  If only The Undertaker had appeared behind Hartigan when they came back on.