Greg Inglis to Brisbane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm rapt he's staying as he's my second favorite player behind Billy but i can't help but think in 2 years time when his contract is up again he'll make the move to the Bronco's. of course i hope like hell that's not the case but if it is i reckon we'll be looking back in those 2 years time and wondering if we did the right thing by keeping him for just that period at the expense of 2-3 others who could stick around longer really be the future of our club. Before all this shit happened i'd have pencilled in GI more than anyone to be a Storm man for life but after seeing that he'd have left if the price was right from the ponies now i'm not so sure.

Only time will tell i know and i'm still very happy that we have him for at least 2 more years but i hope it won't turn out to be a case of short term gain for longer term pain.
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

sallymay wrote: i heard on sport 927 today that the nrl has said that the storm players can take minor pay cuts as long as they are playing for like $50,000....so play for what they are worth
LOL Sorry sally, this isn't directed at you, but that doesn't even make sense.  ???

So someone like, say Billy who might be on $600K can take a minor pay cut to $50K because that's what they are worth?

Or should it be they can take a pay cut only up to $50K so as to still be paid an amount that they're worth?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

:o opps i was ment to write that if they are on 650k then they cant play for 50k but can take a pay cut of 100k or more
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

jellyhead wrote:
sallymay wrote: i heard on sport 927 today that the nrl has said that the storm players can take minor pay cuts as long as they are playing for like $50,000....so play for what they are worth
LOL Sorry sally, this isn't directed at you, but that doesn't even make sense.   ???

So someone like, say Billy who might be on $600K can take a minor pay cut to $50K because that's what they are worth?

Or should it be they can take a pay cut only up to $50K so as to still be paid an amount that they're worth?

I was really confused as well...but I think that is what Sally meant.

50k each from cam, gi and bill would = Hinchy staying....YEAH ??
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I dont see how they can say you can take a pay cut of X but not why. If they are saying you have to pay market value then how the hell is Mark Gasnier being paid 50k for the rest of this year and then heaps next year. If they can be varied then its up to the player and club to call the amount - if a player is happy to play for X then thats his market value irrespective.
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Logic would suggest,(Sorry - This will NOT make sense to the totally illogical Mr Canter  :twisted:), that a players 'playing contract' would remain at it's current figure,(players market value ?) & that the 'minor pay variations' could be made from the various 3rd party agreements.

NOTE : Although Gasnier is ' allegedly' playing for minimum money,the lizards & NRL have stacked the deck with additional 3rd party payments,(with clients that fall outside the cap regulations).
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ice wrote: I'm rapt he's staying as he's my second favorite player behind Billy but i can't help but think in 2 years time when his contract is up again he'll make the move to the Bronco's. of course i hope like hell that's not the case but if it is i reckon we'll be looking back in those 2 years time and wondering if we did the right thing by keeping him for just that period at the expense of 2-3 others who could stick around longer really be the future of our club. Before all this shit happened i'd have pencilled in GI more than anyone to be a Storm man for life but after seeing that he'd have left if the price was right from the ponies now i'm not so sure.

Only time will tell i know and i'm still very happy that we have him for at least 2 more years but i hope it won't turn out to be a case of short term gain for longer term pain.
Frank Possini was on the Storm Hour last night and hinted that no decisions have been made on any of our current  players including the big 4 until the audit findings were released.  When questioned about GI, Possini said he had some personal issues that could not be revealed in public and confirmed about the Broncos talk with GI.

Possini also stated that the Storm would keep a mix of experienced/inexperienced players to remain competitive, which suggests to me we could still lose 1 of the big 4......
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

CooperCronk wrote:
Ice wrote: I'm rapt he's staying as he's my second favorite player behind Billy but i can't help but think in 2 years time when his contract is up again he'll make the move to the Bronco's. of course i hope like hell that's not the case but if it is i reckon we'll be looking back in those 2 years time and wondering if we did the right thing by keeping him for just that period at the expense of 2-3 others who could stick around longer really be the future of our club. Before all this shit happened i'd have pencilled in GI more than anyone to be a Storm man for life but after seeing that he'd have left if the price was right from the ponies now i'm not so sure.

Frank Possini was on the Storm Hour last night and hinted that no decisions have been made on any of our current  players including the big 4 until the audit findings were released.  When questioned about GI, Possini said he had some personal issues that could not be revealed in public and confirmed about the Broncos talk with GI.

Possini also stated that the Storm would keep a mix of experienced/inexperienced players to remain competitive, which suggests to me we could still lose 1 of the big 4......
I am glad Greg is staying, but he needs to earn is reported 600K a year because in IMHO he only comes now and again for the Storm, its Cam, and Cooper who hold there own week in week out, he always lifts is game playing rep but not often enough for the club to warrant the pay pack he receives from us. half the salary cap taken by 4 players is not unacceptable, under the present cap there needs to be a maximum amount set for individual payments to allow correct payments to be made to 2nd and 3rd teir players.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Vossy just said on the footy show dont write off GI to the broncos just yet.

Spoke to bruno cullen who basically said they offered him a fair and attractive deal and GI said no, so that is done with BUT if GI wants to come back and try to renegotiate they would be open to it. Unless GI changes his mind and wants 400k, he isnt gonna crawl back bruno.

Sounds to me like vossy is tryin to make somethin out of nothin, proberbly because he said last week put your house on GI to brisbane.

Also FS are ruuning a story saying inglis tipped to leave melbourne... BASED ON SCOTT SATTLER SAYING ON NRL ON FOX GI IS THE MOST EXPENDABLE OF THE BIG 4 IF ONE WAS FORCED TO LEAVE!!!

I mean seriously.. i dont even know anymore, the media are fuc*ed! That headline is a lie, a lie to sell papers!
Monsoon
Monsoon

Melbourne Storm's fab four pledge

Russell Gould From:Herald Sun July 16, 201012:00AM

MELBOURNE Storm coach Craig Bellamy tonight pledged his long-term commitment to the embattled club. And it emerged Storm would not give up hope of keeping its Big Four - captain Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Greg Inglis and Cooper Cronk.A source last night insisted the view that one of the quartet had to go was misplaced. "That's the plan, that they all stay."Storm faces a massive task to slash $1.3 million from its player payments to fit under the salary cap in 2011.News Limited chairman and chief executive John Hartigan said if the club kept its four highest paid players, it could struggle to be competitive."Looking at it on the basis that the suggestions the top four players are going to make up half the salary cap, they're going to finish up with the possibility of having a 'pub' team," Hartigan said. Bellamy conceded some long-serving players would have to go, but he said his job was to make the club successful again."When players you have watched develop into men walk into your office to tell you they are leaving - it hurts," he wrote in his Herald Sun column."None of these players wants to leave. But some are going to."What I do want to do is coach this team. I'm here for a while yet."Hartigan said News Ltd would fund the team for at least the next two years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/melbo ... 5892366374

AAP reported that the Broncos have a "war chest" to spend, but Brisbane great and player negotiator Andrew Gee shot that down in flames. "The perception out there is we've got a massive war chest. We certainly haven't got that. The offer we put to them (Inglis) is what we could afford and what fits in the cap. They (Inglis) would have have to come back to us and say what we offered might be on the mark, but by the sounds of it, it's nowhere near it."

http://blogs.abc.net.au/thesportsdesk/2 ... oncos.html

:?
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Because of what has been done to Storm over the cap NO TEAM in the NRL can risk being stupid with contracts,(as has been the norm in the past) because even if Gallop & his trained monkey don't keep a close eye on future deals.You can guarantee that EVERYONE involved in rugby league in Victoria will be keeping a close eye on them. I know I will  ;-)

The Gasnier deal is a perfect firestarter for season 2011.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bourbon Rat wrote: Because of what has been done to Storm over the cap NO TEAM in the NRL can risk being stupid with contracts,(as has been the norm in the past) because even if Gallop & his trained monkey don't keep a close eye on future deals.You can guarantee that EVERYONE involved in rugby league in Victoria will be keeping a close eye on them. I know I will  ;-)

The Gasnier deal is a perfect firestarter for season 2011.
Gasnier should have been deported back to france
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
Monsoon
Monsoon

According to todays media

- Kevin Proctor will be a dragon next year (Along with one of the big 4 according to the mercury) **
- Sika Manu is townsville bound, leaguehq have him as LOD's replacement. **
- Adam Blair will be a tiger, fairfax media says so. **
- Storm CANNOT keep the big 4, according to qualified charted accountant :?  and trashy league columnist rebecca wilson.
- We are the scum of the earth blah blah blah even though outside of 5 dirty admin rats we've been cleared, but the team is still a spawn of satan supposedly

** All are without a single quote from player, manager, either sides CEO and ar based off the word 'could' alot.

Great to be a storm fan at the moment isnt it.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hard being a Storm fan at the moment just does not even begin to describe how I feel.

Its just all speculation for now, but its hard to ignore some of the stories being floated around because most of the nrl clubs seem just want a piece of our club.

That story on Proctor and one of our big 4 going to the Dragons, has to surely be a joke.  If its not, they'll have to be one of the 1st clubs to be investigated for breaching the cap.

If we lose Sika, I will just die :x
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

CooperCronk wrote: Hard being a Storm fan at the moment just does not even begin to describe how I feel.

Its just all speculation for now, but its hard to ignore some of the stories being floated around because most of the nrl clubs seem just want a piece of our club.

That story on Proctor and one of our big 4 going to the Dragons, has to surely be a joke.  If its not, they'll have to be one of the 1st clubs to be investigated for breaching the cap.

If we lose Sika, I will just die :x

+1