Bruno to the Storm?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Here's an except from the scum paper up there which i thought was interesting. Personally i wouldn't mind at all if Cullen took over as CEO of the Storm. He's been in charge of one of if not the most successful club in the comp for 20 odd years and he clearly knows what he's on about. Sure it's a tougher market down here as opposed to Brisbane but his resume would be second to none in the game and IMO he'd be a very very good aquisition for us if it's true.

"Some Storm insiders also believe Bruno Cullen, who announced his retirement from Brisbane yesterday, will be the club's new CEO. We've heard a replacement for Matt Hanson was secured last month, but no one at the club has been told who the new boss will be"
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I saw this too but I`m not sure I`m that wrapped about it to be honest. To start with when I read some of the other blogs I get the impression that a lot of Broncos fans don`t seem that impressed by him. A bigger concern would be how Bellyache would feel about it. I`m not sure what the history is around Bellamy leaving the Broncos but I`ve always had the impression that he takes a particular delight in beating the Broncos and I`ve often wondered if there was a personal issue in that as much as just beating your old club.
              The other concern I would have is that Bruno might be "the goods" north of the border where NRL rules and AFL is the new kid on the block but does he have any appreciation for just how inbuilt AFL is in Victorian culture and can he work with that . If he comes down here with the archaic attitude ( admittedly something he hasn`t appeared to show so far) that some of those north of the border seem to have he could put a lot of people offside and do damage and this is probably not the time that we need someone creating more problems
Last edited by Woody on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-Storm
Squall
Squall

He's not going to be the Storm CEO, as it was already stated that he will remain as a director of the board at Brisbane. He just thought the club needed a younger, fresher look in the CEO department
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

J-Storm wrote: He's not going to be the Storm CEO, as it was already stated that he will remain as a director of the board at Brisbane. He just thought the club needed a younger, fresher look in the CEO department
In saying that. Ive been hearing rumours within the club for the past month and a half that Bruno seems to be our new CEO. When I was in the corporate box at the Bulldogs game, my family and I were talking to some friends of ours who work for Storm and they hinted Cullen was likely to take over but not 100% confirmed.
Last edited by Freshy on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Woody wrote:
               The other concern I would have is that Bruno might be "the goods" north of the border where NRL rules and AFL is the new kid on the block but does he have any appreciation for the just how inbuilt AFL is in Victorian culture and can he work with that .
Six or seven years ago i'd have agreed with you 100% but we tried having a CEO who knew the Melbourne sporting landscape and how the average Victorian AFL fan thinks but look where that got us. This is a much different and more critical time for the club as opposed to when we got Waldron, back then we weren't on the verge of very nearly folding and the club wasn't damaged the way it has been in the last few months. Back then we had new coach and young up and coming players like Smith, Slater, Inglis, Cronk, Hoffman, Johnson etc coming through, we were re-buiding on the field and were headed in the right direction though we just needed more help off it when it came to getting the average Victorian sports fan to embrace the club and game hence why we got Waldron, a bloke who knew how AFL fan thought and how best to market the Storm/game down here.

Now in many ways we're in a much different position and at this very time the most important thing is to re-build this club from the foundations up internally so we actually have a club in the coming years to support before anything else we do off the field. To do that we need someone who actually knows exactly how to run a football club first and foremaost regardless of where they're from. We need that person to strengthen the club behind the scenes as well as on the field first and the rest of it will come.

Of course if we got him he's going to have his supporters and detractors and i can see both sides, but you only have to look at his track record to see his credentials in this field are impressive. To tell you the truth i've never been a big fan of the bloke myself (maybe that's just because he was boss of one of our biggest rivals) but this isn't a popularity contest and if this bloke can strengthen our footy club to where it was off the field then i'll be more than happy for him to do that regardless of what i think of him.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Ice wrote:
Woody wrote:
               The other concern I would have is that Bruno might be "the goods" north of the border where NRL rules and AFL is the new kid on the block but does he have any appreciation for the just how inbuilt AFL is in Victorian culture and can he work with that .
Six or seven years ago i'd have agreed with you 100% but we tried having a CEO who knew the Melbourne sporting landscape and how the average Victorian AFL fan thinks but look where that got us. This is a much different and more critical time for the club as opposed to when we got Waldron, back then we weren't on the verge of very nearly folding and the club wasn't damaged the way it has been in the last few months. Back then we had new coach and young up and coming players like Smith, Slater, Inglis, Cronk, Hoffman, Johnson etc coming through, we were re-buiding on the field and were headed in the right direction though we just needed more help off it when it came to getting the average Victorian sports fan to embrace the club and game hence why we got Waldron, a bloke who knew how AFL fan thought and how best to market the Storm/game down here.

Now in many ways we're in a much different position and at this very time the most important thing is to re-build this club from the foundations up internally so we actually have a club in the coming years to support before anything else we do off the field. To do that we need someone who actually knows exactly how to run a football club first and foremaost regardless of where they're from. We need that person to strengthen the club behind the scenes as well as on the field first and the rest of it will come.

Of course if we got him he's going to have his supporters and detractors and i can see both sides, but you only have to look at his track record to see his credentials in this field are impressive. To tell you the truth i've never been a big fan of the bloke myself (maybe that's just because he was boss of one of our biggest rivals) but this isn't a popularity contest and if this bloke can strengthen our footy club to where it was off the field then i'll be more than happy for him to do that regardless of what i think of him.
I hear what you`re saying Ice and I have to admit that the only time I have ever actually seen him interviewed was on the Footy Show one night when they had him and Todd Greenburg (?) from the Bulldogs on and I have to admit that they both came across as genuine people of high integrity. His achievements with the Broncos are obvious from a management point of view but in some ways that sort of gets back to why I`m doubtful. If you`ll pardon the pun, Brisbane is/ was , by and large, a one horse town with a very successful team where he has really had very little competition. That has been with the AFL team coming in as the usurper into a city heavily biased in their preference toward NRL and a recently created NRL team who are striving actively to separate themselves from Brisbane as an entity. In short, everything has sort of been stacked in his favour. Even so, whilst everything seems to run along smoothly at the Broncos I do recall that there were rumours floating around for awhile that there was a degree of angst between Bruno and Bennet that caused issues on occasion and I would hate to think that that would happen down here with Bellamy
                I think that you`re right in that we need someone who is capable of rebuilding the internal structure of the club to get us back to where we were only a few months ago and if Bruno is the person annoited then I`ll be happy to support him if he looks like he is doing the right thing by the club. He will just need to mindful that he is in a very different city to Brisbane here and what worked up there is not necessarily going to work here. Maybe it`s just my own ingrained distrust of all things Broncos  :) that makes me hesitant, a few months ago I probably would have been surprised but not overly bothered. I suppose I`m just a bit wary about the idea of someone from another club that has been tied closely to NewLtd being appointed to run our club given the current circumstances
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Noa Nadruku wrote: Image
Can he play centre when GI leaves ?
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think Eddie Maguire for the new CEO and that way Storm would be on CH9 at the decent time,because he seems to have so much input in that Channel.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I heard some talk that the bloke who runs Essednon might be a bit of a dark horse...
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
petawilk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Listening to SEN at the moment. Frank Ponissi said this is not true.  ;D
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

petawilk wrote: Listening to SEN at the moment. Frank Ponissi said this is not true.   ;D
Interesting. Separate to the Bruno Cullen talk, theres been talk  inside the club for a while now that a current NRL CEO was/is due to quit his post and take up a position with Storm.
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Freshy wrote:
petawilk wrote: Listening to SEN at the moment. Frank Ponissi said this is not true.   ;D
Interesting. Separate to the Bruno Cullen talk, theres been talk  inside the club for a while now that a current NRL CEO was/is due to quit his post and take up a position with Storm.
Bruno Cullen was being interviewed on the Big Sports Breakfast with TK & Slats this morning and he denied that he was going to be the new CEO of the Melbourne Storm.  He did however say that if he was younger that he would have jumped at the opportunity to rebuild the club as it would be highly rewarding.  I guess it's a case of watch this space  :o
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Freshy wrote:
Sharks ex CEO, Richard Fisk??  God help us all.  :o
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

LESStar58 wrote: I heard some talk that the bloke who runs Essednon might be a bit of a dark horse...
He has rugby league experience as well as AFL so I think he'd be a good guy to have at the club.  Of course, all I know about him came from a short bio.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how things turn out.
You had me at meat tornado.