Greg Inglis to Brisbane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bourbon Rat wrote: Get a grip people  :roll:
We've been here since 1998 & Lots of "Irreplaceable" player have up & left.
We've seen some dark & ugly times as well.
We're still here - right ?

I know losing long term players from our team is like losing a member of the family,(something that those 'north of the Murray' don't quite understand about the Storm),but we will move forward & more young talent will step up into the line.
Thank you

It's just all a little too much to put with over the last 4 months
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Broncos have pulled out of the race to sign GI.
2012 premiers. Legit.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Players leave clubs every year its all part n parcel of football.  I reckon GIs manager could have dealt with it better and not talked in the media, then we would have been none the wiser.  To be honest we are going to lose players, but I am just as excited about Gareth, Justin Oniell, Matt Duffie, Maipele and further on Herchel Gideon.  The future looks exciting to me.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

tugga wrote: Broncos have pulled out of the race to sign GI.
For the moment at least.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them or the Titans pull a rabbit out of the hat next week after the audit findings are released.  The Broncos have pulled the same trick with Ben Hannant.

To put the matter to rest, I would like to hear from GI or the club  very soon confirming he is staying at the Storm...something tells me he'll be leaving the club :(
Monsoon
Monsoon

CooperCronk wrote:
tugga wrote: Broncos have pulled out of the race to sign GI.
For the moment at least.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them or the Titans pull a rabbit out of the hat next week after the audit findings are released.  The Broncos have pulled the same trick with Ben Hannant.

To put the matter to rest, I would like to hear from GI or the club  very soon confirming he is staying at the Storm...something tells me he'll be leaving the club :(
You would think if GI does leave ($600,000) ontop off hoff ($325,000) and lima ($200,000) PLUS the $300,000 marquee player increase PLUS the increase in the salary cap, we might be sweet if the forecasts are accurate. Thats $1.5 million shed right there.

But i wanna keep GI.

Release Lowrie($200,000) , Quinn ($250,000) and Hinchcliiffe ($150,000) instead and its party time!
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am  really angry with the NRL in not letting our players take a paycut because a precedent has already been set with the Bulldogs drama.  Where's the consistency?  All the NRL want to do is spread our talent to other clubs.  They lack vision and should realise expansion teams, particularly in afl territory, need special considerations.

That way we could keep GI = $400,000 > the sum the Broncos were offering him :D
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

CooperCronk wrote: I am  really angry with the NRL in not letting our players take a paycut because a precedent has already been set with the Bulldogs drama.  Where's the consistency?  All the NRL want to do is spread our talent to other clubs.  They lack vision and should realise expansion teams, particularly in afl territory, need special considerations.

I thought that Gallop not letting them take paycuts wasn't confirmed.  I'm sure there was some talk that he couldn't legally stop it but I just can't remember from where.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

His manager was on Triple M tonight and said the reason they came to a quick decision was so that it didn't drag on.
The Broncos dropped it purely based on financial reasons, their offer wasn't good enough even with third party arrangements.
It all sounded good but he stopped short of saying Greg was a certainty for next year at Melbourne.
He said "you never know what's around the corner"
The current situation obviously the reasoning.

Also from his understanding, the club is looking to cut 4-6 mid tier players to accommodate the big 4.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
madstorm
Squall
Squall

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... 107xb.html

If Inglis wishes to leave for compassionate grounds to be closer to his fiancee, I would suggest his manager take a refresher course in 3rd grade geography to tell me how English super league is closer to Brisbane than Melbourne.  It sounds like he just wants out to secure his big $$$ rather than be closer to Sally.  Maybe there is a lot more to this than we are being told.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

jellyhead wrote:
CooperCronk wrote: I am  really angry with the NRL in not letting our players take a paycut because a precedent has already been set with the Bulldogs drama.  Where's the consistency?  All the NRL want to do is spread our talent to other clubs.  They lack vision and should realise expansion teams, particularly in afl territory, need special considerations.

I thought that Gallop not letting them take paycuts wasn't confirmed.  I'm sure there was some talk that he couldn't legally stop it but I just can't remember from where.

Found it..... FOUND IT...FOUND IT......from an article about Hoffy on 7th July.....straight from Ballsup's mouth.....looks like Storm can vary contracts if the players agree.

"But NRL boss David Gallop said all responsibility for sorting out the mess they created remained with Melbourne.

Until Deloitte’s report is handed down we still don’t know just how far over the cap Melbourne is but certainly playing contracts can’t be varied without the agreement of both the player and the club,” Gallop said.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Good find Storm Spirit. Let`s hope the Storm lawyers have it underlined and ready to go in case we need it. It would be nice to jam some of Ballsup`s words back down his throat :)
Monsoon
Monsoon

Direct quote from alan gainey today, GI's manager:

''It's all over. He didn't get enough money. He got offered substantially less [than his current contract] so he won't be going anywhere, mate,'' Gainey said. ''He's staying in Melbourne.''

;D

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... 107xb.html
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Storm Spirit wrote:
jellyhead wrote:
CooperCronk wrote: I am  really angry with the NRL in not letting our players take a paycut because a precedent has already been set with the Bulldogs drama.  Where's the consistency?  All the NRL want to do is spread our talent to other clubs.  They lack vision and should realise expansion teams, particularly in afl territory, need special considerations.

I thought that Gallop not letting them take paycuts wasn't confirmed.  I'm sure there was some talk that he couldn't legally stop it but I just can't remember from where.

Found it..... FOUND IT...FOUND IT......from an article about Hoffy on 7th July.....straight from Ballsup's mouth.....looks like Storm can vary contracts if the players agree.

"But NRL boss David Gallop said all responsibility for sorting out the mess they created remained with Melbourne.

Until Deloitte’s report is handed down we still don’t know just how far over the cap Melbourne is but certainly playing contracts can’t be varied without the agreement of both the player and the club,” Gallop said.

And this makes it sounds like the contracts can't be varied ...  ???

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 109fd.html
NRL chief executive David Gallop has said that the Storm would have to be beneath the salary cap before the start of next season to be able to compete in the 2011 competition and that Melbourne players will not be able to take pay cuts.
How can Gallop interfere with a contract between a club and player, if both agree?  Other businesses do it all the time (eg if a business isn't going so well, employees offer to take a pay cut to get the company back on track).  It seems the NRL is a law unto itself.  :?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The first article is a direct quote from Ballsup at least.

The 2nd article is a reporter interpretation of what he/she beleives that Ballsup has decreed.

OMG I LIVE IN HOPE THAT CONTRACTS CAN BE VARIED AND BIG 4 PLAYERS WILL ACTUALLY BE AGREEABLE TO MINOR ADJUSTMENTS ACROSS BOARD
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i heard on sport 927 today that the nrl has said that the storm players can take minor pay cuts as long as they are playing for like $50,000....so play for what they are worth
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP