NYC 2010

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Mauritian wrote: Some stats:

M. Fonua 157m 1 linebreak 18 tackles 3 missed
M.Johnson 154m 43 tackles 0 missed
K. Bromwich 115m 1 linebreak 13 tackles 0 missed 1 try
M.Morseau 2 trys 2 linebreaks 23 tackles 1 missed
Updated stats

- Huge game stats wise from Fonua - 209m, 14 tackles breaks, gave us much more strike-power out wide, something Ive been crying out for months for. Was a bit selfish at times but that just means he rates himself, which is good. I may be wrong about his background but will be the first true Vic junior to play first-grade for the Storm.

- Mitchel Johnson as well, 180m + 45 tackles, HUGE effort, almost undid it all with that bone-head play when we had the Cowboys down on there own line.

- Ben Hampton oozes class, reminds me of Darren Lockyer. I highly doubt he'll ever be anywhere nears as good but his effortless running and footwork evoke memories of a young Locky.

- Kirisome Avuaa, in limited touches was very strong as well, his hit-ups were very powerful.

- Tohu Harris put in his usual minimum of 130m + 30 tackles, has deceptive pace and great ball-skills. I like that he doesnt seem to let too much get to him and I think he's been the POTY so far for the Thunderbolts.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Just watched the game again.  Liked Maipaele in the halves - will be the consummate player when he gets his kicking game down pat. Those 3 on the right are going to cause mischief.  Have been a bit cool on Ben Hampton in the couple of games we've seen here but saw why he's there after this game.  Was that Grech that came on? quick ball was good .  Pleased with Tohu's game  - plays a thinking game like he does in Union & we can see his knowledge of the game improving heaps. Good understanding between Ben & Tohu in that move (just waiting for the right time) - put Ben in the gap at speed.  Awesome.
Mitchell was strong & agree re Kirisome Auva'a.
But What I liked most was their spirit never flagged - heaps of mistakes but not once did they LOOK defeated and I think that finally got to the Cowboys. They beat them mentally through the whole 80.  I had been wondering if they had that in the team - awesome to see!
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Watched the game again yesterday and Fonua had a great game. PERIOD. Absolute handful out wide, against a class opponent and will be huge for us the rest of the year.

Good description of MM Chip, dont know if Ive seen too many young players tick so many boxes as does Pele, especailly in those intangible areas like leadership, poise and timing e.g after Hampton scored I said to the wife something like "watch Maipele here, he loves it when the game is on the line", the rest is history.

Watching the game again only re-inforced my view that Ben Hamtpon is a Darren Lockyer clone, one play yesterday when he turned the ball back-inside had Lockyer all over it, obvious who he had on his walls growing up.

Once Brayden Wiliame comes back we need to work on getting better ball out to Avuaa so he can get Wiliame, who is an absolute flyer, into some space.

Interesting to see what they do with Slade Griffen, imo he has to come back into the side at 13 and play Leary in the back-row with Tohu. Would give us to tackle-breaking machines on both edges of the field.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Speak to T weekly & he has been saying since the Titans game that Mahe is one of their best players every game. 

What I liked in the game about Ben was his fronting up to the Cowboys player who was still having a go at Hawkins (can't remember his name - the one that got jake on report for the "eye-gouging"). I thought he's got a bit of mettle for a small guy & had been showing it in his game all day - & other skills - changed my mind about him. 

Agree re Blake & Slade too.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That would be the fullback, real smart-arse, went up and was slapping Tohu on the back and mouthing off at him when he ran off his line and the Cowboys scored. So I gave him a mouthful when we crossed at the death ;D.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yeh T missed a few tackles this game.  Usually has a second go & gets them from behind but that one was straight over the try-line.
Had to laugh at the pat on the head Grech gave him at some point.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Team v Souths
1 Brayden Wiliame
2 Eddie Faamausili
3 Mahe Fonua
4 Kirisome Avuaa
5 Bennet Leslie
6 Ben Hampton
7 Maipele Morseu
8 Rulon Nutira
9 Jake Hawkins
10 Mitchel Johnson
11 Sam Martin
12 Tohu Harris
13 Kenny Bromwich

14 Lucas Grech
15 Jerome Wilson
16 Jordan McLean
17 James Barker
Coach: Krusty the Klown
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i like Jake at 9 and Lucas at 14 it make more sence
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Seems like the boys played OK but got over-run in the end, ending up loses 48-28, 2 tries in the last 5 minutes, flattering the scoreline. Looks like they worked Morseau over at 7, something he'll have to come to terms with if the keep him there (I hope they dont), really would like to see a halves combo of Avuaa and Hampton and dont like Wiliame at FB, didnt work the first 3rd of the year, dont know why pay thinks it will work now.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

do u know what happened to Slade?????????
apparetntly he got injured in the cowboys game but i dont know what injury it was

Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He didnt play the Cowboys game, may have been injured pre-game.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Team v Doggies
1 Brayden Wiliame
2 Robbie Kurth
3 Mahe Fonua
4 Kirisome Avuaa
5 Bennett Leslie
6 Ben Hampton
7 Jake Hawkins
8 Rulon Nutira
9 Lucas Grech
10 Jerome Wilson
11 Theo Stuart
12 Tohu Harris
13 Blake Leary

14 Ryan Marlin
15 Kenny Bromwich
16 Jordan McLean
17 James Barker
Coach: Krusty the Klown

No Magic, no Johnson means up agaisnt it this game.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Johnson - hamstring.  Magic???????? MIA
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

who is magic ???

Tropical Cyclone