Legal action launched against NRL

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Can we use a company on a NO WIN NO FEE BASIS  :lol:
Brian
Squall
Squall

"It's actually being funded by supporters of the club. I can't go into that at the moment," he said.

I wonder who this group is? Wouldnt it be funny if it was FAIRFAX  :lol:
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I understand fully why the independant members have decided to take this option, and in many ways I support it.

I am, as I said in another thread, hesitant and concerned about the potential ramifications of this on the flip side however.  IF, and it is a huge IF, News pull out over this, then we lose our club... and in reality, our name in a record book, just to stamp something we already know happened, to me, is not worth the risk of never being able to go and support the jumper, players and club I love ever again.  

That is the complete opposite result obviously of what could happen, but it is still a realistic risk, and I just hope the independant board members took that into account.

But, it's done now, so, lets all get behind the case, and hope we get a just result, which may or may not still involve the current penalties, as we don't know the full details yet, due to the audit still taking place.

The thing I actually like, is the statement about this type of action having the potential to uncover more people who were complicit or involved in the scandal.  To that, I say GREAT!!!  We want to know who they were, and get rid of them from the club, and game forever!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

steaming stormer wrote: I understand fully why the independant members have decided to take this option, and in many ways I support it.

I am, as I said in another thread, hesitant and concerned about the potential ramifications of this on the flip side however.  IF, and it is a huge IF, News pull out over this, then we lose our club... and in reality, our name in a record book, just to stamp something we already know happened, to me, is not worth the risk of never being able to go and support the jumper, players and club I love ever again.  

That is the complete opposite result obviously of what could happen, but it is still a realistic risk, and I just hope the independant board members took that into account.

But, it's done now, so, lets all get behind the case, and hope we get a just result, which may or may not still involve the current penalties, as we don't know the full details yet, due to the audit still taking place.

The thing I actually like, is the statement about this type of action having the potential to uncover more people who were complicit or involved in the scandal.  To that, I say GREAT!!!  We want to know who they were, and get rid of them from the club, and game forever!
Mate I wouldnt be too concerned about losing the club, its a possibility but as I stated earlier in the thread, its not as big as what people state.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

steaming stormer wrote: I am, as I said in another thread, hesitant and concerned about the potential ramifications of this on the flip side however.  IF, and it is a huge IF, News pull out over this, then we lose our club... and in reality, our name in a record book, just to stamp something we already know happened, to me, is not worth the risk of never being able to go and support the jumper, players and club I love ever again.  
It's a tough one no doubt.  However, when I thought about it - could I ever feel the same way about the Storm again, knowing it's owned by a company that's not prepared to act in the best interest of its own players, staff and fans?

If News dont support us the fans and if we lose our players like Gallop seems hellbent on doing, if we lose crowds/members/sponsors on top of the premierships we've already lost....then what is there to support anymore?

Dont get me wrong, I hope this doesn't happen and News doesn't pull out.  But I believe its better to fight for something and lose everything, as opposed to do nothing.  This is because we've already lost so much.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah I wouldnt be too worried about the club folding. If this whole saga has shown me one thing its that

a) We have been in a lot stronger financial position then first realised

b) We have some very rich supporters behind the scenes that I dont think most of us were aware of.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well done board members and finacal supprters of this legal bid.

1) I think the board has done its homework on this one and in a leagal sence watch out NRL it wont be the first time they lost in court.

2) I also like they way the board sad the case is around process, fairness and contracts. Restritive trade and did we actually pay players the money we underwrote regadless of whats in the contracts.

I would say we are a good chance of getting some good news out of this.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Again, I'm still not convinced by this move but I'm thinking what happens if they actually pull it off. Aside from getting the accolades back Gallop's job would come under MASSIVE scrutiny. Opposition suppporters will be pissed and hate us even more but surely if Gallop has proven to have not followed procedure then how can he be deemed competent of running the NRL.

Bold prediction; if Storm win, Gallop falls on his sword.

I'm also tickled by the irony that Alan Meyers is the bloke that won Murdoch the Super League War.
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
StormBec
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Diehard_Storm wrote:

News Ltd released a statement today restating that it did not support and would not pay for the legal action and that it was waiting for "for the directors and players to be interviewed by Deloitte as part of the forensic accounting investigation".
Here News Limited goes again - continuing to suggest the independent directors are complicit in fraud!  Unbelievable.  It's a long long bow they are drawing.  The last time I checked, News Ltd had 2 of their own directors on the board, including one now who is acting CEO.  Have they interviewed them? Surely, if there were concerns with the board, wouldn't they be the first ones interviewed?

This is laughable.  Dr Rob Moodie offered his resignation to Hartigan.  Hartigan rejected it.  If he rejected it - he must have been confident Moodie played no part.  Now they are proceeding with legal action, News Ltd are now about facing and casting an extremely dubious light over their fellow directors.

Its downright scandalous and I would imagine...highly litigious.  News Limited are SCUM. 
My point of view of News Ltd is that the HAVE TO step away from being involved in this legal case. Because as it has already been pointed out, it is a conflict of interest being the owner of the club and half owner of the NRL. In order for us to have any success with this case it is essential for News to not be part of it at all. I'm not sticking up for them entirely but i'm not condemning them either. For the independent board members case to be successful they cannot publicly support it all.

And for the record are we forgetting South Sydney taking on the NRL in the Supreme Court? If my memory serves me right weren't the NRL found to have acted outside their powers in kicking them out of the comp? I think we all know who won that case  ;-) We supporters need to again stand together and support the case. This will definitely not be the end of us!
[img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/stormbec/banner-new.jpg[/img]