Nine snubs Melbourne Storm again

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

same old garbage from nine...

Nine snubs Melbourne Storm again
Russell Gould From: Herald Sun
February 04, 2010 12:00AM

IT MAY be the NRL premier but Melbourne Storm is resigned to at least three more years of graveyard shifts on TV in its home state.

Despite Storm being the most dominant NRL team of the past decade, Channel 9 is set to continue to delay Victorian coverage of Storm's free-to-air games until about midnight.

Last season, only three of 10 Storm games on Nine were shown before 11.30pm, one of which was the grand final on a Sunday afternoon after the AFL season had finished.

In the first five weeks of this season, Storm has two Friday matches, including a 2.30pm Good Friday clash with St George Illawarra Dragons.

Both Storm and the NRL hopeful that game can be shown live in Melbourne but a Nine spokesperson could not guarantee it.

There was no comment on the network's plans for Storm coverage this season but club officials are resigned to filling the late-night slot until at least the end of 2012 when the current media rights deal expires.

Acting Storm chief executive Matt Hanson said there was little the club could do because the arrangement was a contractual one between the NRL and Nine.

Hanson hoped the introduction of rugby league's independent commission, and the next media rights deal, would bring an end to the situation.

"It's something I think everyone in Victoria and now even around the country is realising this issue that we can't get games live or at reasonable times," he said.

"I think definitely the independent commission, when they come in, will be tasked with doing the media rights deal.

"I don't think it's a job Melbourne Storm can do on its own. It is a job for the NRL and the independent commission.

"'We need to, for a whole host of reasons, be on in Melbourne at a reasonable time. If you are trying to grow a game ... the people need access to games on TV at a reasonable hour."

The NRL can do little to help because Channel 9 has first pick of the matches it wants to telecast on Friday night each round.

"'If Channel 9 passes, it becomes easier," NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

"We can try and exert some influence on Fox Sports, who have the next two choices, and that means it would be shown nationally.

"It's one of the difficulties of not being the dominant sport in that market."

Annesley conceded the situation was not ideal but was a commercial reality.

"We are constantly trying to improve coverage in Melbourne and will be trying to get the best possible schedule in the new deal," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nine- ... 5826552231
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I really can`t wait for the next TV rights deal to come around. I hope the NRL body tells Nine to get stuffed and not to bother to bid. I`m so sick of Storm games ( and fans) being treated this way so that Nine can play another lame 3rd rate rerun of whatever garbage they are purporting to entertain us with at the time. I can`t help but feel complete contempt when I go to the games and see Channel 9 logos all over the sidelines.
                    The last couple of years  I have  gone out of my way to avoid watching Channel Nine at all ( as sort of a silent individual protest) if I can help it. The only added  problem this year is that they are going to be showing Top Gear, but the way I figure it it should take about 3 months for them to stuff that up as they done to other shows and it will be finished as well 

Nine - Definitely not the one :x
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

woo hoo give us more Miss Congeniality and Miss Congeniality 2  :roll:
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

MENACING*STORM wrote: woo hoo give us more Miss Congeniality and Miss Congeniality 2  :roll:
And surely we would have to be overdue for another viewing of Happy Gilmore!! :)
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Very rarely swear, but when it comes to Channel Nein and Storm games, I find it very easy, so lima lima lima duck those assholes ;D
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Woody wrote:
MENACING*STORM wrote: woo hoo give us more Miss Congeniality and Miss Congeniality 2  :roll:
And surely we would have to be overdue for another viewing of Happy Gilmore!! :)
Sorry Woody, it won't happen. NEIN won't televise Happy Gilmore.

I believe Channel 10 has the rights to that movie.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Surandy wrote:
Woody wrote:
Sorry Woody, it won't happen. NEIN won't televise Happy Gilmore.

I believe Channel 10 has the rights to that movie.
Yeah.. fair call Surandy. Now that you mention it I think I have heard that before. OK poor example :D
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Dont forget Seinfeld re-runs or is that Neinfeld?

Correct me if I am wrong I think they moved to our favourite channel last year - Yeah?
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

NEWSFLASH!!!!!

I'm watching the cricket on NEIN, about the only time I watch NEIN these days.

They just did a cross promotion of the Indigenous vs All Stars game saying it was being televised live! No mention of any restrictions like they've previously done where they've said live in Sydney & Brisbane!