Willie Mason to Storm?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5814813844
WILLIE Mason last night broke a four-month silence to declare he'll stay in the NRL next season - and rubbish reports he's already agreed to do so with the Melbourne Storm.

"There's no deal whatsoever with Melbourne - I haven't a clue where that one came from,'' Mason said last night.

"I've never even spoke to the guy who wrote the story. I don't even know who he is.

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm still contracted to the Roosters for 2010.''
He's denied it as well.
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The Waldron Quotes were taken from an interview he did live on SEN yesterday morning ,after the news broke, I fluked it,  was flicking stations while driving , went back to AM  to find the cricket,  and heard it,

his main point of argument was, no, its not happening, we just cant afford him,

But, he said something very similiar in the Finch lead up, which  then leaves a window open to turn around and say something like, well, he has accepted to play for x amount of dollars so we can just squezze him in ,

I'm not saying they have signed him , but if they have, he is'nt going to admit it now, it would be done in an official capacity, like a press conference, not in some live phone hook up while he is away on holiday,

But with Mason also coming out and making his statement, I'm leaning towards it not happening, but dont write it off altogether.

These CEOs ( the better ones) are like politicians with their bullshit speak, they have to be.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Wally has come out and made more statements, to the herald Sun this time , saying all this talk has to stop,

Its not happening I reckon.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I personally asked someone at the Storm if it was happening weeks ago and was definetly no.

I don't know if I would buy a membership if we got him. I can't stand that guy.

I know supporting the team is about more then just one player but I absolutey think the guy is a disgrace and I would definetly have to reconsider
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mikey wrote:
I know supporting the team is about more then just one player

No offence but i think not buying a membership because we signed a player is just ridiculous. You hit the nail right on the head with the above about supporting thee team. This is just my opinion but it's not saying much for your allegiance to and love for the club if you weren't to renew your membership because of just one player, nobody said you had to like him as many don't including myself much but once again the club is bigger than one player. Did you take the same stance when we signed Crock who actually had criminal convictions? It's a bit hypocritical in my book if you didn't.

Anyway i don't think we'll sign him anyway but if we did and you didn't renew then it'll be a much bigger loss to you than anyone else.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just got this Article from League Headquarters,note the date is tomorrow  :lol:

Storm brews as Roosters dig in over MasonBRAD WALTER AND JOSH RAKIC
January 1, 2010
A STAND-OFF with the Roosters over the terms for his release is set to jeopardise the plan for Willie Mason to join the Storm next season.

Despite the Storm's denial of a report in yesterday's Herald linking Mason with a move to Melbourne, the former representative star is understood to still hold out hope of playing for the premiers and has told friends a deal is close to being finalised.

Players from both clubs are also of the belief that Mason's move to Melbourne is imminent. But any deal is likely to depend on Mason being able to negotiate a release from the Roosters that would make him affordable, as no other NRL club has room under the salary cap to pay him anywhere near the $400,000 contract he is on.

Mason, who is unwanted at Bondi Junction and has been given leave from training since November 2 to find another club, wants to continue his career in the NRL rather than head overseas but can afford to do so only if he receives a sizeable pay-out or the Roosters subsidise his contract to play elsewhere.

However, Roosters officials have indicated they are not prepared to do that, and would rather continue paying Mason to play for Newtown in the NSW Cup than virtually gift Melbourne a player who at his best is capable of helping the premiers to a fifth successive grand final.

It is understood Mason has been made aware of the Roosters' position but there is still a chance of the prop joining the Storm next season.

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron yesterday confirmed the club had spoken with Mason but insisted no deal had been done and said the Storm could not afford the 29-year-old under the salary cap.

Waldron said he personally informed Mason of the club's position two weeks ago but it is believed the player has remained in contact with Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy, who had charge of him in last year's NSW Origin side.

The Storm have a history of picking up bargain-priced rejects and helping them to revive their careers, with Michael Crocker, Clint Newton and Brett Finch having gone on to win premierships with Melbourne after being released by other clubs.

But Melbourne's on-field success has put other clubs offside after it emerged during negotiations for an independent commission that the club loses $6 million a year and would need to be propped up financially if News Ltd were to sell the franchise to a private owner.

The Roosters would be reluctant to release a player to another club who could then gloat after winning a premiership ring. Instead, they would prefer Mason to accept a two-year offer from Welsh Super League club the Crusaders worth £100,000 ($179,250) for next season and £150,000 in 2011. With a hefty loan to service on his $3m Clovelly home, Mason cannot afford to play for nothing and might either have to find a deal overseas or serve out his time at the Roosters. However, he is unlikely to play first grade if he remains at the Roosters next season, and any slip-up could result in the sack.

Mason didn't return calls yesterday but a source close to him told the Herald the Kiwi-born prop was yet to put pen to paper on a deal with Melbourne but it is believed his move to the Storm was a mere formality.

Channel Nine last night reported that Bellamy was the driving force behind moves to get Mason to the Storm. But Waldron insisted that even after releasing lock Dallas Johnson to play for Super League club Catalans, the Storm did not have any room under the salary cap to accommodate Mason - even on the NRL's minimum wage of $55,000. ''I personally communicated to Willie Mason over a fortnight ago that we were not and would not be in a position to offer him a contract for 2010,'' Waldron said in a statement. ''That message was also communicated to his manager.''
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LOL This is soooo cool either way if he comes or he doesnt the storm are in the news when all the other club are not

2010 strom will go back to back I cant wait its less then 65 days till the season starts
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would hope that we have not signed a 29 year old has been, way past his prime, when we have let go Scott Anderson, Will Chambers, Dallas Johnson and Steve Turner from our premiership side.

Mason looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane's baby sister watching a horror movie, jumps at everything coming at him and I feel sorry for whoever washes his shorts.
My wife and I welcome our new daughter Arwynn into the world
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mason will play for Storm 2010. Well me thinks anyway, and hopes too! It would be funny seeing him in a purple jersey.
Go STORM! 2010. And a Happy new year to us all. Regardless of what team we support. :wink:
bunnies
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Well all I can say is ROSE MADDER has come out of wherever thay have been hiding for what must be 2+years now and I for one wish for them to go back there!

MASON is a DICKHEAD! Remember there is a  "NO DICKEADS POLICY" with the STORM!

Cheers
Bunnies :D
Go the Mighty Melbourne Storm and the Mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs!!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To be fair I'm not sure how strongly the no dickeheads policy is adhered to these days. I mean we recruited Arana Taumata and Mick Crocker and you could even add Finchy in there as well. Don't get me wrong, i loved Mick as i do Finchy and i'm rapt that we signed them both but if you had to be perfectly honest those blokes would fit in to that category when we signed them. 
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

If he signs for the Storm, I will have no issues with that.  In fact I think it may turn his life around..
He will certainly be a drawcard for us at the new stadium.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well all I can say is ROSE MADDER has come out of wherever thay have been hiding for what must be 2+years now and I for one wish for them to go back there

Whats up your arse Bunnies ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? oh and you spell they with an E,just thought you might like to know that  ;-)
Last edited by Rose Madder on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Who Dares Wins!!![/b]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mason?

Don't want him, don't need him!
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

If Bellamy wanted Mason at the Storm.. then supporting the move would be to have faith in Bellamy..
to not support it.. would be to not have faith in Bellamy.

Take it how you like.. but thats what i beleive.