World Club Challenge (One more time with feeling...)

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

So...................
The Rhinos won the Super League GF . Like us they've been the dominant team at the poiny end of the season for a while.They are also the team that two years ago took advantage of a Storm team missing key players & a game played in SHIT conditions.

YES I know - A lot of you consider the World Club Challenge a pointless contest - IT ISN'T  :x
Last edited by TC on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I was at the game, awesome to see the Rhinos win in person, great atmosphere, can say game was that great but not complaining
"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius"
"Fortune favours the brave, stand tall Storm your time is now. Go hard, go Storm!! "
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

i hope we can win against the rhinos in the 2010 wcc
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Taliesin wrote: So...................
The Rhinos won the Super League GF . Like us they've been the dominant team at the poiny end of the season for a while.
Congrats rhinos. Now we know where Sean Long had his money.  ;-)
YES I know - A lot of you consider the World Club Challenge a pointless contest - IT ISN'T  :x
Sorry, but I have to disagree.  :D
Yes. It is.

*rant*
What would make it an important and relevant contest would be to play it next weekend.

Adjust the ESL season so their Grand Final is the same weekend as ours, then play the WCC a fortnight later (alternating between UK and Oz/Nz).
Then you don't get the farce which World Club Challenge matches have become; with sides changed by up to a third of their players, and teams either just starting to play or still in pre-season training. Teams who are often yet to have had a serious hitout do not show off our game to its best.
How is a Storm side minus Smith, Inglis, Crocker, King, Cross, Newton, Crossman and Aubusson - a team who haven't played against first grade competition in 5 months - representative of the team that dominated the NRL in 2007 and smashed the sea-eagles 34-8?

Also weatherwise the end of February is a dreadful time to choose. It's either tit-freezingly cold in the UK or bum-boilingly hot in Oz, pulling one team massively out of its comfort zone. The weather in both places is much more clement now.
*end rant*

I love the WCC concept, I just think it is played at the wrong time. It should be and could be a showcase of the game, instead most people consider it little more than a joke.

The two champion teams fresh from their grand final wins, with all their players. That would be relevant, that would be a World Championship.
Last edited by TC on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

I might add, that despite the fact we won it, the 2000 WCC felt somewhat hollow with no Nikau, and no Lazarus. We were also missing (IIRC)  MG, Craig Smith, Howie, Paul Marquet and Roarts. 2008 just didn't do it for me with no Smith, Inglis or Crocker.

And I'm sure next year it won't be quite the same for Rhinos fans with double try scorer Lee Smith gone to yawnion.
Last edited by TC on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

2 weeks after the GF is too soon for even cashed up supporters to organise worthwhile airfares and accommodation.

Watching the ESL GF on Channel Nein now (at least they removed the "Live" watermark this time) I was astounded at the two penalties that St Helens won in their first attacking set.  If that happened here in a GF, there could be blood in the streets.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
pauliedude
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Anyone know when we play Leeds next year.
We sould be in a better position to win this year with less player turnover.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i think its Feb 25 i could be wrong with the date but its like a week or two before the the season starts
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Taliesin wrote: So...................
The Rhinos won the Super League GF . Like us they've been the dominant team at the poiny end of the season for a while.They are also the team that two years ago took advantage of a Storm team missing key players & a game played in SHIT conditions.

I'm really looking forward to it Taliesan, but bet Ch.9 won't show it here in Melb.
I'd be really peed off if that happens.
STORM 2007
Squall
Squall

I really want us to win it. Living over here in the UK i'm telling my family and friends etc that the NRL is better then last time we were beaten and i got laughed at. I know we're a better side then Leeds and i want revenge, as should every other Storm fan in my opinion. Its a chance that doesn't come around often, it should be taken seriously.

I don't want to see them celebrating again  :icon_frown:
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm curious as to why Harlequins fans are crowing about a 'warm up game' between them & Storm in late February ?
The silence here is DEAFENING  ???
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sorry to disappoint you all but Brian Waldren was on the radio this morning and when asked about the WWC he said they proberly wouldnt be taking a full strength side and would rest a couple of major players my guess proberly Billy Cam Greg Cooper Finchy so in that case we proberly wont win
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A good indication of how important and how much credibility the Storm place on the WCC... :roll:
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'd assume it's the players who played in the 4 Nations tournament to give them more rest.

Doesn't matter, it's only a trial game  ;)
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: sorry to disappoint you all but Brian Waldren was on the radio this morning and when asked about the WWC he said they proberly wouldnt be taking a full strength side and would rest a couple of major players my guess proberly Billy Cam Greg Cooper Finchy so in that case we proberly wont win

Best news i've heard about the game. The further off a full strength team we take the better because IMO it's a nothing game. If it were to be played here i'd be more for it, it'd still be a nothing game but at least we wouldn't have to travel over to the other side of the world for a glorified trial game.